Arial predators (endangered species)

Bobsgoodeggs

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
My plan was to free range my hens & was enjoying the wonderful flavor of the eggs that result from free range hens, until my hens started disappearing. One afternoon I happened to be out & watched a golden eagle swoop down & start to carry off one of my hens, she squirmed & flapped enough to break the eagles grip & landed pretty hard from 30 feet in the air. She survived but limped around for several days. Now don't be thinking about grabbing a shot gun & defending your flock as the eagles are a protected species. Possession of a single feather carries a $10,000.00 fine & up to 5 years in jail. I don't even want to know what the punishment is for shooting one! I discovered that feeding my hens a scratch feed of "Wild bird mix" instead of "scratch feed" brought back to nearly the flavor & rich yellow color of the yokes to very near the free range quality. What I did discover after a while is that there were several grains in the mix the hens just didn't eat. Since there was a large percentage of the seeds that they would not eat, I set about creating my own scratch feed mix. After a while I came up with a blend that results in a rich yellow yoke, that is very high in Omega-3"s & since the layer feed I use is all grain (no animal products) also very low in cholesterol. I am willing to make my scratch feed mix available if any one is interested fro $10.00/ 10 lb bag + shipping. If there is enough people interested I will set up a pay pal account & post an ad on BYC. Let me know if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom