Arial predators (endangered species)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bobsgoodeggs, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Bobsgoodeggs

Bobsgoodeggs New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    My plan was to free range my hens & was enjoying the wonderful flavor of the eggs that result from free range hens, until my hens started disappearing. One afternoon I happened to be out & watched a golden eagle swoop down & start to carry off one of my hens, she squirmed & flapped enough to break the eagles grip & landed pretty hard from 30 feet in the air. She survived but limped around for several days. Now don't be thinking about grabbing a shot gun & defending your flock as the eagles are a protected species. Possession of a single feather carries a $10,000.00 fine & up to 5 years in jail. I don't even want to know what the punishment is for shooting one! I discovered that feeding my hens a scratch feed of "Wild bird mix" instead of "scratch feed" brought back to nearly the flavor & rich yellow color of the yokes to very near the free range quality. What I did discover after a while is that there were several grains in the mix the hens just didn't eat. Since there was a large percentage of the seeds that they would not eat, I set about creating my own scratch feed mix. After a while I came up with a blend that results in a rich yellow yoke, that is very high in Omega-3"s & since the layer feed I use is all grain (no animal products) also very low in cholesterol. I am willing to make my scratch feed mix available if any one is interested fro $10.00/ 10 lb bag + shipping. If there is enough people interested I will set up a pay pal account & post an ad on BYC. Let me know if you are interested.
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Well I can't afford the shipping over the cost of what I need for 30 birds-

What got skipped in the store mix?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by