Arizona Chickens

Why do hens go broody in 107 degree heat.

I have three broodies... I'm gonna have to get some day old chicks for them... may two chicks each.

If you have extras, that are hatching, I'll pay $2 each....

Also, I have eggs but I don't want to put eggs under them... it's too hot, but if anyone has an incubator that's running....

and speaking of tomatoes.... we've had so many, I've been eating them every day, but this heat is killing them too.

Quote:
Yes yes yes! This would be fun. I could take it up to pimachickens.

More on tomato varieties: I also have Taos, and it is a very good tomato. Mine is not producing much (chicken damage), but the plant looks good and will easily make into the fall season. I also got the Indian Moon from Aravaipa with the Taos. It is a very tasty yellow slicer, producing well for the size of the chicken-damaged plant.

My husband has to come and work in the valley at the end of them month and I was interested in some silkie and Maran eggs to hatch or young chick if any one has some that we can buy from you.

TT! :

Quote:
I think that Ruffus said that you can paint sheet metal black, and lay it on top of the grass.

We did it once with black plastic. Now is a great time. We wetted the soil first, then put black plastic over it in July. The soil got basically cooked. It helped a lot but was never like before. (I am not a big fan of pulling weeds
hide.gif
)​

Hi group,
My name is Reed and I'm just getting back into chickens.

I grew up in MT during the school year and on a farm in NE Colorado during the summers. I hatched geese, chickens and ducks in high school and college, but then school 11 moves and city living made it difficult.

In October last fall we bought a house on an acre in Gilbert and now I am back in the game.

I currently have 5 Buff Orpingtons (Higley feed purchased around a week old in March), and 6 likely EE purchased at the feed barn on I-17/Deer Valley (1 white roo for sure and 1 possible) (quite the drive) and one BR.

They are in a closed coop on the side of the house awaiting the finished block wall and enclosed run construction.

I read about 350 pages of this thread so far and it is very interesting.

My wife is cringing as my addictive behaviors are starting to come out with chickens.

Does anyone in AZ have any cream legbars?

And has anyone heard the story of the blue legged chickens?

Looking forward to getting to know y'all.

Reed

TT! :

Quote:
I think that Ruffus said that you can paint sheet metal black, and lay it on top of the grass.

Yes, it works great. The tin gets really hot, so you want to make sure you handle it carefully. Also, lay a couple of cement blocks on the tin to keep it from blowing around in a wind storm. A sheet of loose tin in a wind storm is a guillotine looking for a victim.

The tin trick also kills off cut worms and discourages ants and pretty much sterilizes the soil. You can really have fun laying a tin sheet on an ant hill. They move their exit hole, but then I just move the tin also.

The only real way to get rid of black ants is to move and leave them behind.

Rufus​

What's up with these storms!

We hear the thunder and lightning, we look south and see the rain, the storm hits the airport moving north and it dissipates.

Back
Top Bottom