Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Thanks, Mikey. Do you need any? Still considering a plucker? I was wondering about a contained drill plucker? Bad thing about a drill plucker is the mess. I'm not about to have feathers all over the place but if they could be contained in a barrel somehow?

Tammy just cooked up the first roo & said it was way, way better than any store bought chicken she (or David) has ever tasted.

She was thinking that maybe the liver damage the plucked hen had, had altered the taste???

We were contemplating ordering some freedom rangers (or other moderate to high growth rate breed) instead of the Cornish. If they eat less (and waste less) on a daily basis, I'm figuring the cost would about average out (those Cornish were eati'n/poop'n machines!). We are also interested in a breed that you don't absolutely HAVE TO harvest at 8 weeks.

If that is the case, next time the bulk feed comes around (Feb I think)...

http://www.facebook.com/BackyardChickenFarmersUnite

... I'll order enough to get a dozen or so from fuzzy to freezer & build a plucker.

If you need one sooner - let me know & I'll rig a drill operated on for ya real quick like...
hugs.gif
frow.gif

did i miss something about a plucked hen with liver disease that you ate???????????? do tell.....
caf.gif

oh, and if you are ordering straight run from now on, you'll have plenty of roos to process. i remember reading the FR taking at least 14 weeks. so why not just eat your surplus roos? i know of plenty on here that do. not me. i eat cow.

Quote:
Tammy just cooked up the first roo & said it was way, way better than any store bought chicken she (or David) has ever tasted.

She was thinking that maybe the liver damage the plucked hen had, had altered the taste???

We were contemplating ordering some freedom rangers (or other moderate to high growth rate breed) instead of the Cornish. If they eat less (and waste less) on a daily basis, I'm figuring the cost would about average out (those Cornish were eati'n/poop'n machines!). We are also interested in a breed that you don't absolutely HAVE TO harvest at 8 weeks.

... I'll order enough to get a dozen or so from fuzzy to freezer & build a plucker.

If you need one sooner - let me know & I'll rig a drill operated on for ya real quick like...
hugs.gif
frow.gif

did i miss something about a plucked hen with liver disease that you ate???????????? do tell.....
caf.gif

oh, and if you are ordering straight run from now on, you'll have plenty of roos to process. i remember reading the FR taking at least 14 weeks. so why not just eat your surplus roos? i know of plenty on here that do. not me. i eat cow.

ditto

"Chickens are our friends, not our food."

Quote:
Sic 'em on the neighbor? After training them to be olympic quality "Angry Birds."

Cool!

I've got the trebuchet!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99626_022.jpg

We built this 2 years ago for a competition!

It was designed for a cantaloupe - a small chicken will fit just fine!

We went CHristmas shopping this afternoon. Fry's Electronics had a TON of Angry Birds stuff--everything from IPod speakers to little stuffed animals. And everything in between.

Quote:

hugs.gif
frow.gif

caf.gif

Yes, do tell. I was under the impression that you shouldn't eat an animal with liver disease.
hmm.png

Quote:
caf.gif

ditto

Ohhhhhh, and here I was thinking "Chickens are our friends, AND our food".
roll.png

Quote:

hugs.gif
frow.gif

caf.gif

When Tammy & Tracy process our second Cornish (Science teacher & doctor - guess what they did!) they discovered the liver was diseased - came out in shreads they said. Tracy said that the hen prolly would not have lived very much longer. Maybe that's why she was a bit smaller than the roo. She still tasted like chicken though.
wink.png

Reason #2 why I think I'm going to go with a non Cornish breed next time.

Quote:
caf.gif

ditto

Some of them are definitely our friends!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Cool!

I've got the trebuchet!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99626_022.jpg

We built this 2 years ago for a competition!

It was designed for a cantaloupe - a small chicken will fit just fine!

We went CHristmas shopping this afternoon. Fry's Electronics had a TON of Angry Birds stuff--everything from IPod speakers to little stuffed animals. And everything in between.

Ya know...

The funny thing is there was a crash the castle game that has been around for years!

Someone used the pre-existing code, swapped graphics to the birds & made a fortune!

Just kidding about chuck'n Meg's chickies though - Chickens are our friends!

*** Yup - did it again! ***

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom