Arizona Chickens

Quote: where can i find those watering nipples? is it too late to teach 5 month olds how to drink from a nipple waterer? i'm usually of the opinion that if they're thirsty they will learn, but in this heat i dont want to leave something like that to chance...

I like to get them from QC Supply. The push-in types are best for buckets and the threaded types are easiest to install in pvc. You can teach older girls to use them, but you have to watch to be sure that they really have it down before you let them go completely without other watering sources.
Gallo is the Master - what he says works!

I got the screw in type, they have a small o-ring type seal but I used teflon tape on the threads anyway.

If they start to leak, the body unscrews (without un-threading it from the bucket or pipe) and you can clean them and put them back into service.

I even put two in a small Tupperware container with a lid and used it in the brooder for the fuzzy butts.

Last edited:
this evening I dusted and wormed about 5o chickens. I had two assistants ages 2.5 and almost 5. Needless to say it took forever, and just think. I get to do it again in 10 days....oh joy!!!

this evening I dusted and wormed about 5o chickens. I had two assistants ages 2.5 and almost 5. Needless to say it took forever, and just think. I get to do it again in 10 days....oh joy!!!

50 Chickens!
ep.gif
It's a good thing you have all that help!
lol.png

50 Chickens!
ep.gif
It's a good thing you have all that help!
lol.png
Thats just part of them! I am the 4H leader and they need to start going to 4H kids, but they kids are required to have a secure pen before they can go to new homes. We also have about 200 chicks that we ordered from cackle that will be here on June 1st. I have more chicks than sense that is for sure. My 4th grade has their last batch of eggs for their fundraiser hatching out this next week. So far they have raised $140. That is pretty good for selling chicks! I am so proud of them.

Would like to be able to take a vacation & not worry about watering our three girls 1-2 times a day. We have a gallon standard waterer. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to install the irrigation/drip system to a watering device. We don't have a lot of $$ & although I've managed to install additional dripper units for my new raised urban garden bed, I'm not all that handy. (Although, I did build their playhouse. But I digress.)

So, I'm thinking if I attached a 1/4 inch hose from the drip system to some kind of resevior with a float...oh, man, already that seems tricky to me... but if I do that then I want to attach a hose from the resevior to their waterer. Can I just drill a hole in the top of the waterer & attach fittings or will that overflow the basic waterer? (I'm no scientist here obviously; although I did go thru two years of biochem before changing my major to accounting.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My honeyman did build the treadle feeder design on here and it is AWESOME!!!
yesss.gif
There are automatic waterers that can hook up to hose bib or irrigation. Hooking to your irrigation system would require that the water be running all the time, which is not usual. You can purchage float valves to hook to a water holding tank and connect to a hose for about $10-15, or the automatic waterers that operate on an adjustable valve that turns water on or off via weight in the hanging bowl for $20-30. Expect closer to $30 if purchased at an store rather than online. I've had both and prefer the later. http://www.jefferslivestock.com/poultry-fountain/camid/LIV/cp/M3-P1/cn/3503/

Back
Top Bottom