Arizona Chickens

Some breeds simply do not lay early. FWIW, the breeds that start laying later tend to lay for a much longer span of time, as well as being longer lived.

The only productivity I care about is offspring.

Yes they say those that take a little longer to start laying may lay longer in their life. It all depends on what you want and what you are trying to do. Before this I had not heard of a chicken that took 18 months to come into lay; what breed would that be? Personally I raise chickens for eggs and meat. I do know that some of the larger breeds take a little longer than 6 months to come into lay and of course if they are maturing in the shorter days of winter it may be a little longer than that. Bigger breeds do take longer to mature. But still, 18 months is a bit much in my book!

I've had a goodly number of my chickens taken by hawks..... and then I realized (duh for me)  I just could not allow them to free range unless I was with them every minute.  I also figured out an alarm of sorts so that if I even saw a helicopter, I would make the sound and they would either stand VERY still or immediately run for the coop!

I have leaned in the short time I have had chickens they are not bird brains. (Well 5 out of 6, #6, she never watches were she is, keep tack of the other girls, last one in, most of the time can't find her way in, and always calling for the others. Every family has one.) I have had them on a heavy blue venal sheet, they know to stay on it without the sides up, I know when they leave it, they start getting loud, they know goodies are in that big black box, that is their distinction when they escape. They learn things quickly.

I just had my first chicken taken by a hawk today too...My older birds free range, but my three newest/smallest were in the coop with only a small opening so the other birds could get in and out...looks like a hawk got in...because my little white ee is gone and my other ee is looking around and calling out for her...I feel terrible about it. I had always had the intention of letting my birds free range during the day so my coop/run is not quite big enough to house them full time- I may have to build a second coop. Are there any ways to prevent hawks/scare them away- the one I've seen seems fearless and lets me get within a few feet of him. Generally my turkeys seem to protect the flock fairly well but all of my birds were on the opposite side of my from the coop when this happened. Can hawks take down adult chickens? My rhode islands seem bigger than the hawk that I've seen- I'm sure the turkeys are safe...but what about adult silkies?

On YouTube there is a video of a hawk taking out a Canadian Goose.

I've had a goodly number of my chickens taken by hawks..... and then I realized (duh for me)  I just could not allow them to free range unless I was with them every minute.  I also figured out an alarm of sorts so that if I even saw a helicopter, I would make the sound and they would either stand VERY still or immediately run for the coop!
What do you use ? A noise? Even if they run for the coop, a hawk is really fast & can go right into the coop and follow behind the chicken. So what works for you?

In my experience and unfortunately it is first hand, a hawk will take out a full size chicken, even a rooster and usually don't stop at one. We have 3 hawks up here that when I use to let my flock free range took out 8 birds at once. They also didn't "carry them away" rather ripped them up and then leave. At least coyotes will take one and all that is left is some feathers. That is why my run is fully enclosed now and they are never out unless they are with me.

I am sorry for those that lost chickens today

FYI everyone, I need some help over here in the Emergency Section. I found one of my girls darn near dead this morning and I'm trying to bring her back to life.

If she dies, I think I probably will too. My wife has become awfully attached to them. Help, please.

Quote: I breed silkies. 10-12 months is pretty common. I believe my statement was that I had one bird who took about a year and a half before she laid. She seldom laid, but since my purpose is for exhibition, and while I would have been happier with more eggs from her, she showed extremely well, so she met her purpose just fine.

Found Bertha the blue Orpenton dead this morning. Glad she did this herself. She hasn't really been right for a long time. Very skinny but acted OK. Every time I saw she has a bad day and I was going to end it for her the next day she was running around with the others. Hadn't layed an egg in months. Her eggs has a chalky shell. Well right next to her this object was found. I wonder if this is what the problem was? I didn't open it it stunk bad enough!

Found Bertha the blue Orpenton dead this morning. Glad she did this herself. She hasn't really been right for a long time. Very skinny but acted OK. Every time I saw she has a bad day and I was going to end it for her the next day she was running around with the others. Hadn't layed an egg in months. Her eggs has a chalky shell. Well right next to her this object was found. I wonder if this is what the problem was? I didn't open it it stunk bad enough!

So sorry to hear of your loss.

This is what came out of my Black Sex Link, Millie before she passed away. I think she had peritonitis?

So sorry to hear of your loss.

This is what came out of my Black Sex Link, Millie before she passed away. I think she had peritonitis?

Ugh, those photos were so disgusting, Chris. It takes a lot to upset my stomach, but those give a bit of a rise to the bile in my throat. Poor girls. I can't imagine the pain they go through!

Back
Top Bottom