Arizona Chickens

:he... OPPS, I said I had 3 red tail hawks scoping out my girls, wrong. I made an assumption. I know ware 2 red tail hawks are often seen, I have't seen them there for a while. These were Harris Hawks. It wouldn't have mattered to my girls, to them a hawk, eagle, falcon....

:he... OPPS, I said I had 3 red tail hawks scoping out my girls, wrong. I made an assumption. I know ware 2 red tail hawks are often seen, I have't seen them there for a while. These were Harris Hawks. It wouldn't have mattered to my girls, to them a hawk, eagle, falcon....
Any hawk is going for any of our girls is scary. Even if we are right there they can still swooped down and kill them so quick Not necessarily take them away and kill them. But, that could be an option with some birds? Not sure which birds do that. Just waking up .. u get what i am saying. Hacks like to kill them right there and eat them.. I'm going to string up some rope or some type of lying so what looks like a star pattern.

Quote:
sad to loose a bird to something like moldy feed that could have been prevented. When ever I have an animal die of unknown cause (or cull for something) I always try to open them up and see what's the problem. Doesn't happen very often and a lot of times you can't do anything about it, but satisfies my curiosity. I had a fryer rabbit drop dead once, with no visible marks on it, tho there had been a commotion in the barn the night before, probably a 'possum. I opened him up; his heart had literally burst. I made note of it's parents and kept an eye on them and their babies, in case it was something genetic being passed down, but just one of those flukes, never happened again.

She's a little more spunky, but not eating or drinking by herself. We are hand feeding with an eye dropper and it seems to be working. I'm going to the feed store for a feed tube and syringe. We'll give her some benadril today, too, since we can't find anything she got in to. Maybe it was a scorpion.

She won't stand on her own yet, but she moves her legs more and is holding up her own head. Both are big improvements over yesterday.

Can anyone tell me if this is a dove or pigeon egg or if one of my chickens is suddenly laying disfigured eggs? This is the second one in two weeks but the first one was a chocolate color. I dropped it before I could get a picture of it.

Last edited:
She's a little more spunky, but not eating or drinking by herself. We are hand feeding with an eye dropper and it seems to be working. I'm going to the feed store for a feed tube and syringe. We'll give her some benadril today, too, since we can't find anything she got in to. Maybe it was a scorpion.

She won't stand on her own yet, but she moves her legs more and is holding up her own head. Both are big improvements over yesterday.
If it was a scorpion sting, my .02 is that if she's improving/able to move better I don't know if I'd give her children's Benadryl now. It's always risky with figuring out the dosage and it can have a sedating effect.

The big thing we have found with treating our (numerous) scorpion stings is to give the Benadryl early , protect their breathing which gets congested and mucus-y (sometimes they also spasm and kick themselves onto their heads or head-down which is bad for their breathing).

If she's breathing ok, and seems to be improving in terms of coordination, eating & drinking a little I'm not sure if I'd give her to her now. Just my .02, based on scorpion-sting experience. :)

You definitely want to have the children's benadryl on hand in your chicken med kit for next time, though!

good luck and I hope she keeps getting better!

Last edited:

I bought 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, however I believe I have one not two. Their combs are developing now and they are not the save. Colar variations dose not bother me. I have pictures of their heads and feet. The blacker one is growing a single comb and her. Waddle is starting to develope. Right now it is more of a pink rose color, and her legs are darker. The one I think is the Wyandotte, is developing that double comb rinkly thing (can't remember what it is called), as of yeti can not really see the waddle. The black one also has white feathers on upper part of her wing. You can see a fant lace patern with the gray. If the gray is a a Wyandotte (I think she is), is she going to be a blue lace? And what are the options for the black one? Even her eyes are different? :barnie.

Any ideas? I picked the two of them because as peeps there was just enough color variation to tell them apart.

Second question, I have 3 girls that seem to be working for top bird. The 2 Amaricanas and the RIR (1 wk younger). No violence yet, just the chest thing. Most of the time Vony seem to be victor... But can't really tell yet. I am just learning their body language and sounds. It is part of the joy in having them, god knows it is not cheep eggs (my fault, to many treats :love).

Back
Top Bottom