Arizona Chickens

Found Bertha the blue Orpenton dead this morning. Glad she did this herself. She hasn't really been right for a long time. Very skinny but acted OK. Every time I saw she has a bad day and I was going to end it for her the next day she was running around with the others. Hadn't layed an egg in months. Her eggs has a chalky shell. Well right next to her this object was found. I wonder if this is what the problem was? I didn't open it it stunk bad enough!

what in the world is that thing? That's crazy looking! i culled a 4 yr old hen a couple months back because when I picked her up I could feel a huge mass right between her legs; waaay to big to be an egg. (she had some other issues too) so cut her open to find a tumor the size of a softball. No wonder she hadn't laid in months!

FYI everyone, I need some help over here in the Emergency Section.  I found one of my girls darn near dead this morning and I'm trying to bring her back to life.

If she dies, I think I probably will too.  My wife has become awfully attached to them.  Help, please. I think what's best for them for drinking is, get a straw.. use your thumb on one end. put their beak at the other end. That way they won't drown. Don't stick their beak into water. They could possibly drowned. How is your chicken? As of now.. I got the information from someone that rescues birds.

What do you use ? A noise? Even if they run for the coop, a hawk is really fast & can go right into the coop and follow behind the chicken. So what works for you?

Thank you, you may have saved one of my girls life. Didn't think of that, a hungry hawk develops tunnel vision. I've seen them go through trees to very small clearing, flying off what might have been a mouse. All I could see is a stringlike object dangling from its claws.

what in the world is that thing? That's crazy looking! i culled a 4 yr old hen a couple months back because when I picked  her up I could feel a huge mass right between her legs; waaay to big to be an egg. (she had some other issues too) so cut her open to find a tumor the size of a softball. No wonder she hadn't laid in months!
[/

You did a necropsy! It is always good to know things like that.

I am new to chickens, but in school we had the fertilized egg hatching and developing assignments. My 4 eggs hatched (only one), one died after a week, I brought him to school, asked my teacher (retired professor) if we could do a necropsy. It died do to bad feed. I stopped feeding the surviving birds that feed. Went to feed store with my chick in a jar and the feed. Only needed enough for another week before the farmer came to pick them up. (3 birds---- mine, :cd ). My teacher took a sample, sent to a friend, it took a 4-5 weeks, it was a mold. The contaminated feed had been stored incorrectly. I learned 'keep your feed dry'.

Last edited:
:he... OPPS, I said I had 3 red tail hawks scoping out my girls, wrong. I made an assumption. I know ware 2 red tail hawks are often seen, I have't seen them there for a while. These were Harris Hawks. It wouldn't have mattered to my girls, to them a hawk, eagle, falcon.... Predictor !

:he... OPPS, I said I had 3 red tail hawks scoping out my girls, wrong. I made an assumption. I know ware 2 red tail hawks are often seen, I have't seen them there for a while. These were Harris Hawks. It wouldn't have mattered to my girls, to them a hawk, eagle, falcon.... Predictor !

:he... OPPS, I said I had 3 red tail hawks scoping out my girls, wrong. I made an assumption. I know ware 2 red tail hawks are often seen, I have't seen them there for a while. These were Harris Hawks. It wouldn't have mattered to my girls, to them a hawk, eagle, falcon....

Back
Top Bottom