Arizona Chickens

On the subject of dealing with heat, I agree that shade and fresh water are the two keys, but once the temperature gets above about 105, you have to do *something* to provide additional cooling, or else you're going to start having losses. It can be cold food, ice blocks, pans of water, misters or whatever, but at a certain point its just too hot outside for any animal to live. Everyone has to figure out what works best for them, personally I find that running a mister for a few hours a day, say 11 or 12 until 4 or 5 in the afternoon works well to keep my chickens alive and relatively comfortable, while not causing any problems in terms of smell or breeding files or parasites.

This is very good advise, especially for our new members who have not yet experienced an AZ summer with chickens. This is especially true for coops that have insufficient shade and ventilation, which many recently posted coops suffer to some degree. While I agree that it would be best to raise chickens here without the use of extra-ordinary means (fans, misters, ice, evaporative and AC cooling) because of their potential for failure, we have to do what we have to do to keep them alive in the situation in which we've placed them. We here in the low desert are really at the edge of what is possible to survive in terms of heat. The native animals that live here even struggle at times and they've have had countless generations over vast amounts of time to adapt to our climate. Our chickens have not had that opportunity.

I would also note that a number of our well respected and long-time AZ BYCers use AC or evaporative cooling with no ill effects. Just because you're cooling a space, it doesn't mean it needs to be cool by our standards. I assure you, when it's 110+ outside, being able to escape to 95 degrees would be greatly appreciated by your birds. Moving from cold to warm places does not cause the sniffles in chickens.

Moisture on soil, misted, on bricks, etc. always helps. However, you should be mindful that chronically wet soil/surfaces promote the development of many chicken pathogens, including fungal lung infections and coccidiosis. If possible, it's best to allow wet places to dry out between moistening events. The drying out kills the worst things. I rotate irrigation under my fruit trees and they're quick to figure out which trees have recently been watered. If you're using the moist bricks in a pan method, have two sets that you can rotate and allow to dry out between uses, otherwise, they will quickly become sponges for all sorts of bad things.

A mister system can be inexpensive and easy to set up. Here are two types from Home depot, a free-standing single outlet or a hose-type with several outlets:

You can hook them up to a relatively ($32) inexpensive hose timer like this:

I also have a 5-gallon nipple waterer that is covered with Reflectix radiant barrier insulation. When it gets over 105 or so I put in a frozen milk-jug full water. I have two jugs so that I can rotate them out from day to day. The chickens really like the cool water. Even when I don't put ice inside, the water stays much cooler than it would without the insulation since it doesn't heat up as much during the day. The covering also eliminates algae and the water stays sparkling clean.

56638_nipplewaterer.jpeg

I can't emphasize enough how important ventilation is. When designing your coop make sure that there is nothing impeding the heat from escaping at the high-point in the coop. In my coop, the roof is directly connected to only one wall of my coop, air can completely flow around the three other sides. Check the temperature of your coop during one of our hot nights. If the temp inside is higher than that directly outside, you definitely have inadequate ventilation. My birds spend all but a few nights a year on the roost at the open end of the coop where the air can move all around them. If your coop has four walls, I'd highly encourage you to remove one.

56638_newroostssouth.jpg

Here is a chicken enclosure I helped build for a friend. It's very similar to her previous arrangement (but now more secure) and she's raised birds for years here in AZ without losses to heat. Note that there really isn't even a coop, just an old awning off of her house with the roost underneath. The entire pen is covered by the shade of an old mesquite tree, but even so, she has shade cloth on the back (south) and right (west) side and over the top. I think layers of shade are superior to one single layer even if they both obscure the same amount of light.

Because of where I had to place my coop, it gets blasted by the full force of the sun for about 3 hours during the worst part of the day. I used the same Reflectix radiant barrier insulation in the roof of the coop, which greatly helps reduce the temperature inside. I also have two layers of 70% shade cloth over the open wire parts of the coop that face westward towards the sun. I have grape vines that cover the run and the coop and they are probably the best protection the chickens have. In the worst part of summer it is their favorite place to be in the middle of the day, even when allowed to free-range. The sun doesn't penetrate into the run and it's up to 15 degrees cooler inside. If you wonder about the shade and ventilation in your coop, measure the temperature in the hottest part of the day just inside and outside the coop. If it's hotter inside, you likely need more shade and/or ventilation.

Those are my thoughts on chickens and our heat. FWIW, I haven't lost a bird to heat and this will be my fourth summer raising chickens in Arizona.

Last edited:
Gallo del Cielo, you have a great set up! And you make some really great points that with extreme temperatures you really need to do something extra to protect your birds from the heat. I am in the high desert so we don't get as hot as you guys down in the valley (about 15-20 degrees cooler in the day and 25-40 degrees cooler at night), but my birds are use to the 'normal' range for this area and if it gets warmer then that, then they need extra attention.

Our coop is on stilts so it there is always shade underneath it, and the run is up against the house, so the house provides for at least some additional shade along the side of the house. I placed our Chicken Fountain waterer along that wall that only gets an hour of morning sun, then it is shaded the rest of the day. The hose is also in the shade along the house so it stays cooler, therefore providing them with cooler water throughout the day. I also bought one of those cobra style misters for $10 at home depot and have it on a separate hose with a timer so it can run a few hours each day at the hottest times of the day. It doesn't use very much water at all, but it seriously cools that area of the run. It also provides a little water for my grazing frame in that corner, which means they will have cool greens to munch on too.

Humans die from heat exhaustion, and our pets will too if we don't provide them with some shelter from the excessive heat.

Great info Gallo! I got the idea for the grape vines here on BYC and have a couple started this year to grow up the sides of my run for future shade.. since I am also up north, it cools off here at night. The chicken house seems to hold the cool night air in for at last half of the next day, which is where the young ones have been hanging out. My older birds like to hang out in the shade under the house as it is raised up like Holly's. It's 91 here right now and they are either in the house or under it in the cool earth. The only one who has really been panting today is my blue cochin cockerel - he is one big fluff ball!

That is great advice! I think I'll get the reflectix material this weekend. I assume the Reflectix goes under, not on top, of the metal roof? I'll have to take the roof off, but there were a couple of panels that I needed to flip over anyway. The double shade is also a great idea. I have some shade cloth stored away.

eta: Thinking about the Reflectix, I think I'll also use it on the coop wall that faces the afternoon sun--same wall that the exterior nest box is on. I'll line that wall and the roof of the nest box.

Last edited:
Since we are on the subject of extreme heat chicken keepin'...I figured I would add that ...

if you see a bird that appears truly in distress...ex. unable to stand, pale comb or shallow panting or just 'doesn't look/act right' then the quickest method to prevent loss from heat exhaustion is either quickly dunking the bird's whole body in a large tub filled with water, or soaking the bird with hose...especially under the wings, vent and feet...also a fan to circulate air whilst the bird is recovering at minimum would be ideal. When the bird looks a bit better try to syringe some pedialyte (flavorless) or poultry electrolytes into it's mouth being careful to let the bird try to swallow between small squirts.

Also, I try to add electrolytes or pedialyte to their morning water on days where it's going to push 110 or higher. i do keep a frozen 16 oz bottle of water in their water tub too.

More good advice, thanks!

Okay question on using the Reflectix inside the nesting box. As you can see in Gallo's pictures, it's reflective silver--if I use that inside the nest box (top, and 2 sides) are the hens going to be too distracted by the bright, silvery color? It's pretty dark in the boxes. Right now, the nesting boxes are painted...um, pink.

That is great advice! I think I'll get the reflectix material this weekend. I assume the Reflectix goes under, not on top, of the metal roof? I'll have to take the roof off, but there were a couple of panels that I needed to flip over anyway. The double shade is also a great idea. I have some shade cloth stored away.

eta: Thinking about the Reflectix, I think I'll also use it on the coop wall that faces the afternoon sun--same wall that the exterior nest box is on. I'll line that wall and the roof of the nest box.

More good advice, thanks!

Okay question on using the Reflectix inside the nesting box. As you can see in Gallo's pictures, it's reflective silver--if I use that inside the nest box (top, and 2 sides) are the hens going to be too distracted by the bright, silvery color? It's pretty dark in the boxes. Right now, the nesting boxes are painted...um, pink.
Yes, ideally the Reflectix goes on the inside. However, I could imagine some situations where you could put it on the outside. It has lasted surprisingly well exposed to the sun. BTW, I use the foil tape sold right next to it to attach it to stuff. I have it lining the roof of the coop and their run and they seem to be fine with it. They haven't pecked at it either, which I was initially concerned about. If you can use the shade cloth to reduce the amount of light striking that side of the coop it will be much easier to cool. Oh, I had to laugh when I read about you removing a wall. I've been so slow putting that earlier post together that you beat me to it. Good thinkin'!

Last edited:
HmmmHolly and countrygirl74, I'm always envious of your more moderate climate, but I'm even happier that your chickens will never experience the extreme temperatures we do down here. I was never so happy for birds when I sent a clutch of chicks I raised off to Pinetop. Lucky birds. The shade below an elevated coop is awesome shady real estate.

Last edited:
are you not up for butchering? i have decided that since i am now allergic to corn and am feeding strictly organic, no soy, no corn, no canola feed, that the chicks that turn into roos will become my dinner. BUT NOT THE SILKIES!!!!! feed is so expensive and i may as well come to terms with what life has handed me now and eat them. they are all raised very humanely and i just can't imagine giving them away free anymore to someone else. i have sooooo many allergies that i just need to get over it and do it. i have a friend with a plucker if you decide to raise them to feed yourself well. we could do it together.
hugs.gif

Oh no!!! Corn is in everything! Do you think your migraines might be in some way related to your allergy? It's starting to become apparent that I am allergic to wheat.
sad.png
Despite missing out on some of my most favorite things in life (pizza, beer,..etc..etc..) I've been amazed at how much better I feel since I've been off. Symptoms I never imagined would be related to an allergy are getting better.

Another egg! Slightly larger than yesterday's.
I set up a large pan with 6 red bricks inside and filled it with water this evening.
We'll see how they take to it.

Back
Top Bottom