Arizona Chickens

:thIt has been early 100 hours into my hatching experience. Out of 24 eggs 1 is clear, 4 I am not sure of, the rest look good. This is all learning for me, asi go I am sure I will learn more of what I am looking at. Being Maran eggs, I couldn't have picked an easyer color egg to learn on.
th.gif
I have a small high LED used for mapping out air cells in shipped eggs, looking at tiny veins and MARAN eggs. OH YOU MARAN EGGS!
roll.png
The one i chose is approx a quarter in diameter and has a lip that allows easy sliding across an eggs surface without bleeding light. After the initial candle and setting the eggs I candle every 48 hrs and mark air cells. I don't find it nessicary to candle everyday as long I watch the air cell growth (or lack there of). Our hatch is on lockdown, I'm slightly worried about 3 saddle eggs but we'll see if the chicks manage to bust out without assist tonight or tomorrow.

I have a small high LED used for mapping out air cells in shipped eggs, looking at tiny veins and MARAN eggs. OH YOU MARAN EGGS!
roll.png
The one i chose is approx a quarter in diameter and has a lip that allows easy sliding across an eggs surface without bleeding light. After the initial candle and setting the eggs I candle every 48 hrs and mark air cells. I don't find it nessicary to candle everyday as long I watch the air cell growth (or lack there of). Our hatch is on lockdown, I'm slightly worried about 3 saddle eggs but we'll see if the chicks manage to bust out without assist tonight or tomorrow.
I'm curious...what is a "saddle egg"? I don't have an incubator and have only hatched a few times with broodies, so I'm still very new at hatching and candling. Is anyone headed to Tucson? I'd really like some of those Black Cooper Marans from Desertmarcy. Maybe if a few of us went in together, we could split gas $$ or something.

Last edited:
I'm curious...what is a "saddle egg"? I don't have an incubator and have only hatched a few times with broodies, so I'm still very new at hatching and candling.

Is anyone headed to Tucson? I'd really like some of those Black Cooper Marans from Desertmarcy. Maybe if a few of us went in together, we could split gas $$ or something.

I'll vouch for DesertMarcy's line of Black Coppers. My three are absolutely gorgeous and the rooster is my favorite of my entire flock. They lay the traditional medium brown eggs, rather than the dark chocolate eggs that I wanted, but I am very happy with them regardless. My two pullets just started laying about a week ago and have been my most consistent layers in this heat. The left egg is one of the new eggs from my Black Coppers.

:thIt has been early 100 hours into my hatching experience. Out of 24 eggs 1 is clear, 4 I am not sure of, the rest look good. This is all learning for me, asi go I am sure I will learn more of what I am looking at. Being Maran eggs, I couldn't have picked an easyer color egg to learn on.
th.gif

Good luck! I only incubated eggs once about 14 years ago. My daughter talked me into it as a homeschool project when she was 6. We didn't keep any at that time. We got about a 90% hatch rate, though (local eggs).

I have a BA that just went broody. If she is still broody when they hatch and you have extra . . . .
I always get my chicks from a hatchery because I'm scared of getting roosters but if I can make it to the processing party, maybe that won't be an issue anymore. :)

Help! My coop is overflowing with CRICKETS! I went out there last night and there were hundreds of crickets in the run, in the coop, everywhere! What can I do ? I obviously don't want to spray any pesticides, what are some alternatives?

Help! My coop is overflowing with CRICKETS! I went out there last night and there were hundreds of crickets in the run, in the coop, everywhere! What can I do ? I obviously don't want to spray any pesticides, what are some alternatives?

Put a piece of plywood in the coop and moisten the ground under it. The crickets will hide there and you will have a chicken feast when you lift it for them during the day. Be careful of scorpions, though. Be ready to smash one before the chickens can get to it. Chickens usually win, but not always.

:lau I can tell Lucy's egg from Vonie and Clara's. Lucy eats a lot of veggies and leftovers, in fact she devours grapes, blueberries, frozen/cooked vegetable are just gone, her yokes are deep rich golden orange. Now, my sweet Voney is picky, eats much less of the treats, she has the lightest yokes. Clara, she eats everything but dose not like some of the fruits and will only pick at cooked vegetables like a little kid. :gig Great argument of a good diet.

My eggs are do to lock down the 27, hatching 29th. At the time of party I should have chicks.

Last edited:
Hello! I found the BEST black australorps from huppfarm in Duncan, AZ am now looking for a Welsummer breeder in AZ can anyone here help me out? The welsummer thread hasn't answered back yet!
I"ve been looking for really good Wellies for a long time now. I may order hatching eggs when it cools off a bit...

Wings, my white turkey is dead. What ever it was it took her fast.
hit.gif

That's the 3rd loved turkey this summer. Banner my young tom Royal Palm, My 6 year old Blue Bell and now wings. Lost all those chickens, including my 6-7 year old Tumbleweed, silky roo, with the coyote finding a way in under the fence in the wash. WE are down to one Maran hen and two worthless young RR mix roos and one turkey tom heading for November dinner. Almost don't care anymore about having fowl for awhile.

Last edited:
Put a piece of plywood in the coop and moisten the ground under it. The crickets will hide there and you will have a chicken feast when you lift it for them during the day. Be careful of scorpions, though. Be ready to smash one before the chickens can get to it. Chickens usually win, but not always.
Good Idea. I would commend you if I knew how.

Back
Top Bottom