Arizona Chickens

One of my breeding pens was recently vacated and I needed to process a rooster, so I decided to use the spare breeding pen as a confinement pen for pre-processing. I carefully made sure the food cup was empty, and last night I put the rooster into the pen. I didn't actually process him until noon. Crop should have been empty by then. HAH! That little bugger must have located every bit of scratch the previous occupants had missed. His crop was totally full. And here I had been feeling sorry for him because everyone else was getting treats and he didn't have any food. Joke's on me.
lau.gif

On the up side, it was much easier to find and remove the full crop. When crops are totally empty I have trouble locating and separating them from the connective tissue.

Now there is a delicious-looking pot of stock simmering on the back of the stove. MMmmmm. I'm getting hungry!

I live in Chino Valley, AZ and raise buff orpington chickens, the best chicken in the world for pets and eggs. While Chino doesn't get as hot as the valley, we do get days that are hot and my coop was built with a window that opens and closes, a large door and a small chicken entrance door. In the summer I leave the windows and doors open and put a small fan at the small door to circulate the air. I put a couple of cat litter boxes in the main run filled with water and they like to wade in this. I put ice in their drinking water to keep it cool and they free range in the afternoons and we have grassy areas that are shady and cool due to watering every other day. We also have a garden area that's cool. They all seemed to do quite well last summer albeit they walked around with their wings slightly raised away from their bodies. Our winters get cold and we close up the coop and put a heat lamp in their which keeps them laying throughout the winter, low light months.

Does anyone have this chicken?

ISA Browns Our Best brown egg layer
 hold about 60% of the World Brown Egg Market.All other egg laying breeds are judged and compared to these.
They offer you exceptional egg output, resulting in low feed conversion. Bred for large egg size, the in-built adaptability allows you to produce an average egg size from 62 to 65 grams or so. Isa Browns have a current livability of 97.3% and hen housed average production to 76 weeks is 321 eggs. Average egg weight is 62.8 g.
From town line hatchery

I live in Chino Valley, AZ and raise buff orpington chickens, the best chicken in the world for pets and eggs.  While Chino doesn't get as hot as the valley, we do get days that are hot and my coop was built with a window that opens and closes, a large door and a small chicken entrance door.  In the summer I leave the windows and doors open and put a small fan at the small door to circulate the air.  I put a couple of cat litter boxes in the main run filled with water and they like to wade in this.  I put ice in their drinking water to keep it cool and they free range in the afternoons and we have grassy areas that are shady and cool due to watering every other day.  We also have a garden area that's cool.  They all seemed to do quite well last summer albeit they walked around with their wings slightly raised away from their bodies.  Our winters get cold and we close up the coop and put a heat lamp in their which keeps them laying throughout the winter, low light months.

I like the cat litter box idea, gona try that this summer.. Thanks..
Glad you are joining in...
:welcome

Thank you for your condolences. I certainly hope the year is better. Not a great way to start.

Welcome to the new peeps!!!!

There were 5 hawks in the tree this morning. I happened to snap this one as it was leaving the tree.( it was headed down and then flew off to the west)

This one I happened to catch as it was pooping. Look down and you can see the white excrement falling.
You never know what you will get when you snap pics.

SInce my other 2 roos have Italian names, I named this guy Lorenzo.
4 months old. Started to crow 1/18/14 and is very interested in the girls.

RIP Beep2

Something killed her FAST. She came down ill yesterday evening...I brought her inside. She was puffed up and wouldn't move. I felt her crop or was sloshy and rather big. I forced her to vomit. It smelled awful and she perked up a bit. I gave her ACV water and some simple feed. And she seemed comfortable. She was gone in the morning.

Thoughts? Should I be worried about the 3 other ladies? I didn't think id be so sad about a chicken death. But she was my first chick and gave us our first egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom