Arizona Chickens

I believe some of my flock has been exposed to pox, I don't know how (guessing wild birds). Now I am starting to have chickens show signs of it. I had 3 cases in the past but I just thought they were either caused by fighting or something else, but looking back I think they may have been pox. I am very desperate and need some advice on what I should do. It looks like the dry kind so I'm lucky in that perspective and did some research on it and it said it would just blow through. Is there any way to prevent it from spreading or help get rid of it? Also, have any of your birds gotten this? I was going to hold back on buying some birds from a breeder that has been having difficulty with pox, but now I'm not so sure. If I've already got it, why wait? I'll try and post some pictures if the birds I suspect may have it.

My flock had fowl pox 2 years ago and survived. I called a poultry friendly Vet and he told me to keep them as stress free as I could. Clean water, clean coop and add some Vitamin C rich foods like tomatoes as treats in addition to their regular diet. They were all pretty much over it in a couple of weeks.
Good luck. I hope you have a good outcome.

Cool!
I guess that means I need a spare Retired Vet to travel with me. Anyone have an extra Vet? I will take him in trade for 2 pullets. Would go to 3 but you know there is ware and tare on old vets, they usually eat a lot more then a chicken, not as easy to take care of, and I do not even get an egg by the end of the day.
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Here are some photos that we finally just downloaded.. It has taken forever on this old computor.. So here it goes hope I can make it work..[
VIDEO]
[/VIDEO]

Your EE gal looks like my Josephine. Poor gal is not feeling well. She is waddling like a duck and her abdomen is swollen. Doc Peter Brown thinks it could be egg yolk peritonitis or ascites. He told me to give her Tums. She has been on them for 2 days. Not sure if it is working. Tonight her comb looked pale. :( She is one of my original 5 girls I got 4 years ago. Only she and her sister Sophie (BA) are still with us. I do not know what else to do. I bathed her in case she was eggbound. That didn't work. Anyone have any ideas to help? Thanks!!!

Your EE gal looks like my Josephine. Poor gal is not feeling well. She is waddling like a duck and her abdomen is swollen. Doc Peter Brown thinks it could be egg yolk peritonitis or ascites. He told me to give her Tums. She has been on them for 2 days. Not sure if it is working. Tonight her comb looked pale. :( She is one of my original 5 girls I got 4 years ago. Only she and her sister Sophie (BA) are still with us. I do not know what else to do. I bathed her in case she was eggbound. That didn't work. Anyone have any ideas to help? Thanks!!!
There's a few things you can try. To check for her being egg bound, feel really good back at the pelvis and vent area. You should notice a pretty good sized lump if she is bound. You can also lubricate a finger and insert it in to the vent to check, although that's obviously a bit more invasive than most are willing to do.. However, a swollen abdomen would indicate a different problem. Egg yolk peritonitis is more likely. Have there been any unusual eggs the last few weeks? No shell or soft shell eggs, yolk colored feces, etc? That would indicate a problem that could lead to this. It is usually fatal, but not always. If not, I would venture to guess the Doc was right and it's acites. Her age makes that more probable. It's caused by the failure of her heart and/or liver. Watch for signs of respiratory distress and cyanosis, or a blue tint to the comb and wattles. Becoming pale could likely be an early sign. Ascites is often fatal and there is no cure that I'm aware of. You can treat the symptoms, however, by draining the abdominal cavity. Get a real syringe from your feed shop and insert it in to the area where she is swollen. You shouldn't have to go very deep at all. Pull the syringe plunger, drawing the fluid in to the syringe. You may have to do this several times the first few days, but can cut it down to once a week if her symptoms improve. If you are willing to be a little more invasive, you can make a small incision along the abdominal region where it's swollen. This should help give you more answers. If you find yolk colored fluid, you'll know it was the peritonitis. If it is a clear or whitish fluid, it will probably be the ascites. I remember reading about one gal who had a hen with ascites and she treated it by draining the fluid twice a week. She said the hen lived and laid for another few years. It takes a much higher level of care than some are willing to give, though. Others tend to cross-beak, blindness and the such with a patience I don't have. Keep us updated. Always hate hearing about problems.

Last edited:
so I went to buy some adult silkie hens tonight and I did buy 4 of them. The guy I got them from had a chick with her leg sticking straight out to the side and she has a hard time trying to get up on it. she is about 4 weeks old by my guess. ( the guy did not give me much info and I was very upset with the housing situation for these birds) he gave me the pullet because he didnt "have time to deal with her". he said he tied her legs together to try and and fix her leg. I dont know what to do with her. I feel so bad. she is able to get around by kinda hopping. any ideas what should be done.?? We named her "chicken little" and I am hoping we can save her and give her some sort of quality of life. I will try to get pics tomorrow.
hmm.png

LKD- Arizona now offers a D. License with VETERAN printed right on the front- You need to take your DD 214  to the MVD, fill out a form & you get your new license-It's really worth the $12 charge, as many places offer a military discount. Carl's Jr, H. Depot, etc. Good Luck!
Thanks. Next week I am going to get my physical for my CDL, pay the fine and get it back. I will have to find it. Do it all at one time.

-----------------------
-----------------------------

I am wondering if I should get a health certificate? Poultry health is important if I am going to be going all over. I need one for Ernie, also because he is a service dog. Where will I find a poultry Vet, that will not charge $45.00 per chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom