Arizona Chickens

ATTENTION: UPCOMING SHOW AND SALE BIRDS IN TUCSON!

I don't know if anybody has posted this because I haven't had time to keep up with the thread, but our Tucson Poultry, Pigeon & Fancy Fowl Club will be holding a spring show Saturday, March 21, that is a week from this Saturday, at the Arizona Feeds store, 4743 N. Highway Dr. We will be setting up at 8, once birds are cooped in, judging will commence. There will be Showmanship after the judging, a Table Top Serama judging, and exhibitors can bring for sale birds so there will be a buying opportunity
wink.png
. I will probably have some Ameraucana chicks there for sale, and maybe some others, haven't decided yet. It is free and open to the public and thanks for Arizona Feeds for giving us the space for our spring show!

@desertmarcy , I plan on coming, would you be bringing black Ameraucana chicks? I would also be interested in a nice BCM cockerel if you have any spares.

Yes, both blue and black. No spares on the BCM cockerel! I'm keeping my spares
wink.png
, in case something happens to the main ones. I thought you were not breeding those?

Yes, both blue and black. No spares on the BCM cockerel! I'm keeping my spares ;) , in case something happens to the main ones. I thought you were not breeding those?

Not breeding for sale, just for flock improvement. My only BCM rooster has a wonderful personality, but he also has a wry squirrel tail with a couple white sickle feathers, definitely not a breeder.

I actually came on to post my tale of woe. I'm finally ready for some Cornish cross meat chickens, and the hatchery I prefer is sold out until May. Ugh. Too hot, even ordering now is pushing it. Everywhere is too expensive to ship a small order of 10, even Mcmurry (whatever it's called) isn't ready to ship until mid-April. So...I was thinking about raising some Pekin ducks (ready to ship asap)...but I know nothing about ducks or whether or not I'd like their meat. Is the greasiness in just how it's prepared or raised, or an inherent quality?
Call the Stock Shop in Phoenix. They will special order chicks, and you don't have to pay extra for shipping since they will come in with the rest of their order from the hatchery. I went to pick up feed there once and saw an order of 40 cornish X chicks waiting to be picked up. They will also order other breeds if they are on their list.

ATTENTION: UPCOMING SHOW AND SALE BIRDS IN TUCSON!

I don't know if anybody has posted this because I haven't had time to keep up with the thread, but our Tucson Poultry, Pigeon & Fancy Fowl Club will be holding a spring show Saturday, March 21, that is a week from this Saturday, at the Arizona Feeds store, 4743 N. Highway Dr. We will be setting up at 8, once birds are cooped in, judging will commence. There will be Showmanship after the judging, a Table Top Serama judging, and exhibitors can bring for sale birds so there will be a buying opportunity
wink.png
. I will probably have some Ameraucana chicks there for sale, and maybe some others, haven't decided yet. It is free and open to the public and thanks for Arizona Feeds for giving us the space for our spring show!

Entry forms must be submitted by March 16, 2015 if anyone wants to show birds. Entry fee is $2.50/bird, singles only.

:goodpost:Have you though of planting grape vines or roses? Our flock loves to eat the petals.. I love having fresh cut flowers indoors..

That is a very good idea! I toss marigolds in there, I planted them by their other place, but they pulled them up and ate the whole plant. They love basil and cilantro too.

They will eat everything in site.. Marigolds make their yolk darker and they will make bug's stay away for tomato plants.. We bought 6 rose bushes, they love to eat the rose petals.. Kordes perfecta, peace, paradise, snowfire & touch of class.. Bought 2 snowfire... I can't wait till I can have fresh cut flowers in the house...

:hugs

Dog's like chicken for dinner too.. Too bad about your lab, they are normally good for retrieving and having one of the softest bite's for bringing back your find, like water foul or egg's. We had some tourtiuse at one point. The family we would get them from had lab's that would go grab the babies and put them into baby raising section of the yard... The family said their dog's did it out of instinct.. You might need to train your dog and give them a job to satisfy them..

Yes, the lab hasn't been trained much at all, beyond typical household and walking manners.  We were given the puppy when my daughter was a tiny baby, and I told my husband that the lab was his deal since he wanted the dog and I had my hands full (we also had 3 other dogs at the time).  Guess who thinks dogs must learn by mind-reading, because that's as far as he's ever gotten with "training" him.  While the dogs do get plenty of exercise with me (I run), I do need to work on more complex training routines--and working on "chickens are NOT your dinner" training!     

Cityfarm, that surface that your duck egg in a cup is on...is that a stained concrete counter?  Looks gorgeous!  

Oh thank's, it is our floor.. It does take time to train dog's, however the satisfaction is guaranteed...

I actually came on to post my tale of woe.  I'm finally ready for some Cornish cross meat chickens, and the hatchery I prefer is sold out until May.  Ugh.  Too hot, even ordering now is pushing it.  Everywhere is too expensive to ship a small order of 10, even Mcmurry (whatever it's called) isn't ready to ship until mid-April.  So...I was thinking about raising some Pekin ducks (ready to ship asap)...but I know nothing about ducks or whether or not I'd like their meat.  Is the greasiness in just how it's prepared or raised, or an inherent quality?  

No it is just greasy.. I have heard that some let them hang for a bit longer to get rid of the fat.. Never done duck, so nt to sure.. Go out for dinner and try it.. When we go to Dim Sum, friends order duck. It okay..:frow they take a while to grow and are messy..

Back
Top Bottom