Arizona Chickens

:)hello from Washington state! No you really do NOT have to worry about mold in AZ. You can mist away with little to no problems in good ol AZ! I lived there for 52 of my fifty three years of life! Had hundreds of chickens. Really you should change the straw every month or there abouts. It's just better hygen for your birds and straw is very cheep anyway. They tend to poop it up if you leave it longer anyway. While I'm at it the only vaccine I use is for merriks if I spelled it right?
But like many of the other posts have stated its a very good idea to shade, shade shade and more shade in that HOT az sun. Always provide plenty of good clean water or you can lose a whole flock in a single hot day! Myself I like to keep a couple of back-up water sources as I feel it's that important in AZ!!!!!
Enjoy the kids enjoying the birds! Chores are great reaponsability learning tools and yes you MUST check to be sure they did what they told you they did!
Best of luck with your backyard babies!!!! Big Scotty;):D

We have fungus, valley fever here.. Mold, fungus, bacteria ect... It is always something.. Where in Washington ?
What breeds do you have now ?

Call the Stock Shop in Phoenix. They will special order chicks, and you don't have to pay extra for shipping since they will come in with the rest of their order from the hatchery. I went to pick up feed there once and saw an order of 40 cornish X chicks waiting to be picked up. They will also order other breeds if they are on their list.
do you have the phone number for the stock shop inn phoenix I will be over near Phoenix early april and would like to pick up some chicks if they can get what I need

Guys, I havea question: can a chicken possibly lay 2 eggs in a day? I am asking because I only have 11 hens, and today I got 12 eggs! Did a chicken lay one in the middle of the night?

ATTENTION: UPCOMING SHOW AND SALE BIRDS IN TUCSON!

I don't know if anybody has posted this because I haven't had time to keep up with the thread, but our Tucson Poultry, Pigeon & Fancy Fowl Club will be holding a spring show Saturday, March 21, that is a week from this Saturday, at the Arizona Feeds store, 4743 N. Highway Dr. We will be setting up at 8, once birds are cooped in, judging will commence. There will be Showmanship after the judging, a Table Top Serama judging, and exhibitors can bring for sale birds so there will be a buying opportunity ;) . I will probably have some Ameraucana chicks there for sale, and maybe some others, haven't decided yet. It is free and open to the public and thanks for Arizona Feeds for giving us the space for our spring show!
I wish I could go!
On another note I'm looking for a home for my pet quality silkie rooster he is buff colored and can be aggressive with other roosters unless they are above him on the pecking order

Guys, I havea question: can a chicken possibly lay 2 eggs in a day? I am asking because I only have 11 hens, and today I got 12 eggs! Did a chicken lay one in the middle of the night?

Yes, it is possible. Especially in pullets as their systems haven't fully...um...acclimated to the changes that come with maturity. It's rare, but I've read about it happening in the old poultry husbandry books dating all the way back to the early 1900s. Typically it takes approximately 27 hours for the egg to fully produce, but sometimes two eggs work their way down simultaneously or almost simultaneously.

Hey everyone! Just checking in. The new girls have finally started laying. Woohoo! I had Green Eggs and Ham for breakfast today!
Been working a lot on the beer bar. Still shooting for a late April opening.

Guess it's time for me to check in, too. My 8 girls are all laying well and I have been sharing fresh eggs with the neighbors. They love the fresh eggs and one elderly gentleman was wanting to pay me for them. Nope, but I will make sure he gets a steady supply. LOL

I am suffering from "chicken math", shock shock. I have 25 eggs in the bator, 17 marans and 8 olive eggers. Day 10, ooooh the suspense!
fl.gif
The eggs are so dark, I doubt if I will see anything in them but the air cell. I'm dry hatching, so the air cells should be good. Think I'll check them on day 14 to see what's going on.

This is only my second time incubating eggs and am using the "hands off" method this time. Hoping for a bunch of adorable, fluffy little darlings around the 26th. Wish me luck!

I've covered the top of the chicken run with shade cloth and have planted some birdhouse gourd seeds that I hope to grow on the chain link pen to provide some nice shade this sommer. Plus, the gourds will be fun to turn into bird houses next year.

OK, back to lurking 'til hatch time.

I have a sweet 4 month old Ameraucana* roo to rehome. I call him flame because of his blue and red coloring, he's stunning but I am only keeping silkie roos for now. He's been raised on organic foods and handled a lot so he's friendly.
* I've been told because of his coloring, he is NOT an Ameraucana but that's how the hatching eggs were sold to me by a breeder in Tucson.
I'm north of Prescott.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom