Arizona Chickens

Yep! Mind did the same thing. As soon as I released her from the nursery pen she jumped back into her favorite nesting box and went back to trying to hatch that dang golf ball. I finally left her there, provided the rest of her flock with another nesting box, and put fertile eggs under her. Then, once they all hatched I moved the new family into the nursery pen, where they've been living happily for over a week now.
big_smile.png
That's a good way to handle the broody and not upset her!

Hmmm, and I just rearranged all the nesting boxes this morning.
Darn, I hope it's not hard to put them back.

Hey my BYC friends, my Black Copper Marans just hatched An egg another BCM and this one has a little bit of matter outside its vent if you will. Does anybody have an idea what this is??
..... and it does seem firm but connected but coming from through the vent

Darn, I hope it's not hard to put them back.
No, no problem. My nesting boxes are 2 X 4 frames with an 18 gallon plastic storage box bolted on top with a hole cut in one end. Pretty easy to move around as needed, and pretty easy to pop the top to remove eggs. (unless it is occupied by a pi**ed off hen!)

Last edited:
Hey my BYC friends, my Black Copper Marans just hatched An egg another BCM and this one has a little bit of matter outside its vent if you will. Does anybody have an idea what this is??
Pasty butt? Try cleaning it off with some warm water. How old is the chick?

Do you have a photo? It could be part of the umbilicus. If so then it will eventually dry up and fall off. I had a chick like that during a previous hatch and it was fine after a couple days.

people
Pasty butt? Try cleaning it off with some warm water. How old is the chick?
I think the chick was just born today or yesterday afternoon. I just noticed it this morning.

Do you have a photo? It could be part of the umbilicus. If so then it will eventually dry up and fall off. I had a chick like that during a previous hatch and it was fine after a couple days.
I just noticed when I went out there tonight to take a picture the chick was dead outside the nest! Grrr!

Last edited:
Well, I have 2 relentlessly broody Ameraucana hens, so this morning I gave up, and put some real eggs under them (BCM and Ameraucana). They are not laying anyway, so I decided to give them something a little more productive than ceramic eggs!

Hah! I did the same thing about ten days ago. I gave her random pullet eggs, because that was all that was laying at the time. The pullets are in with a cock and the cock takes his fertilizing duties seriously, so some of them may be fertile. I will know in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Hope they settle down and brood for you. When I had to move my broody I gave her fake eggs in the new location for a day or so until I was sure she was going to continue sitting. Then I gave her the real eggs. She's still on them. So far so good!

Hey my BYC friends, my Black Copper Marans just hatched An egg another BCM and this one has a little bit of matter outside its vent if you will. Does anybody have an idea what this is?? ..... and it does seem firm but connected but coming from through the vent
people Pasty butt? Try cleaning it off with some warm water. How old is the chick?
I think the chick was just born today or yesterday afternoon. I just noticed it this morning.
Hey my BYC friends, my Black Copper Marans just hatched An egg another BCM and this one has a little bit of matter outside its vent if you will. Does anybody have an idea what this is?? ..... and it does seem firm but connected but coming from through the vent
I just noticed when I went out there tonight to take a picture the chick was dead outside the nest! Grrr!
Ouch. Sorry. Poor thing... :hugs Don't know what it is so I can't tell you what might have gone wrong.
thank you, I figure I might of been part of the umbilical part. I think that chick might have tried to follow the mom and got stepped on by one of the other chickens. :(

Yep! Mind did the same thing. As soon as I released her from the nursery pen she jumped back into her favorite nesting box and went back to trying to hatch that dang golf ball. I finally left her there, provided the rest of her flock with another nesting box, and put fertile eggs under her. Then, once they all hatched I moved the new family into the nursery pen, where they've been living happily for over a week now. :D

Well, so far it seems to be working. Opened up the nursery pen this morning, and moved the eggs back to broody #1's favorite box. She wandered over to inspect the premises, then climbed in and commenced setting. Pics in 3 weeks!
I left the nursery pen open and put another clutch of eggs in one of the nesting boxes, still waiting to see if I have any takers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom