Arizona Chickens

giphy.gif
just had to.lol
HAHAHAHAH yes!

Best part is i'm blaring "Gangsta's Paradise" in my ears while i watch this over and over again XD

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.  I feed Purina crumbles - logically it is sweet.  The fermented feed the girls don't like but I could wet it but I do free feed so that really doesn't help but to get more of the good food into them - I might try it.   Obviously the bees aren't there in the cooler mornings so the chickens are eating but they sure are a pain in the booty.  Wild flowers is a great idea for next year but I guess I'll be putting out some sugar water for now.  Thanks again everyone!

I'm starting to feed fermented feed & today was the 4th day of fermenting it so I fed that. Otherwise I've been soaking for 24 hours. For now, I've been putting scoops of it all over in small piles. They've been eating it thru out the day. This morning I did have 1 bee around. I'm fermenting flock raiser crumbles & a mix of barley _ steamed corn-protein powder at 2 parts flock raiser to 1 part of the mix. Soaking has helped them eat more of the barley.

Thanks for the bee ideas. I'm wondering if migration time. Had a swarm hang out for a bit earlier this looking while it was searching for a home.

For those who feed fermented, what do you think of adding molasses? Not a lot, just a bit. I'm thinking just before feeding, but maybe should ferment it? Did you notice a reduction in how much feed you use? From my reading it can take a few weeks before that kicks in.

Happy Turkey day! Hope everyone has a good one!

Last edited:
HELP!!

Yukon is swollen in her abdomen and I don't know why!!

I have checked her vent for egg binding, no egg, though she is showing all of the symptoms!! what else could this be? I can't loose another bird, not after Dory, and if I can't find out what this is and how to stop it, I have a feeling thing may not go well for my poor silkie. She is acting normal, eating drinking, and doesn't really have a penguin strut, but she is swollen in the abdomen and hasn't laid an egg since august! Im worried that it could be a seious egg bound that I just couldn't detect, or it's something worse. Pleas e if anyone has any info, let me know as soon as possible so I can help my Yukon out. (She's so cute, after I inspected her thouroghly, stuck my finger up her bum and felt around for about 10 minutes, and felt her abdomen, she's cuddling contently inside of my jacket pocket right now whilst I type. Pocket Burb!)
HELP!!! SHE ISNT DOING WELL AT ALL!! Hasnt eaten or drank anything aince my first post on the issue, gave her a bath and calcium, nothing! Found her earlier laying in the dirt. No control of her wings, minimal leg control, and weighs next to mothing! She cant move and just lays with her eyes ahut.... I dont know what to do, please i need amy help possi le. I cant loose another, i cant. Not after dory. Please help.

Can you get her to a vet? I don't know what area of AZ you are buy theit's a really good vet in Phoenix and Mesa called the exotic Pet Hospital. I have no idea what's wrong with her and wishe I could help more
sad.png
hugs.gif
no, my parents refuse to bring a "chicken" to the vet because theyre "Just farm animals" and "a waste of money".

and were all teh way out in Tucson, so I have a feeling not even a drive out there would be worth it to them if they did care for my poor bird's welfare.

They aid if she isn't better by Friday we're putting her down.....

I dont want her to die before then but i dont want her to be put down if in the long run she would have had a chance at living....

i honestly am at a loss, i have given her a second soak (her first was on the day i fond out something was wrong) and given her probiotic/electolyte water and forced some feed down.

she just curls up and goes to sleep, is very limp, and doesn't want to fight back when I open her beak or adjust her body.

The only thing she onbects to is not being balanced, and she makes these really small noises like she's in pain.

i hate seeing her like this, and knowing theres so little I can do to help.

shes just so tiny and helpless and doesn't know whats going on, only that she is in pain and doesn't have full control of her motions.

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to try and pull her through. How old is she? I think this sometimes happens to older birds unfortunately
sad.png
Could you tube feed her possibly?
She is barely a year and a half., which is another reason im so lost on this.

she shouldn't be getting sick at this age, atleast not with as well as I care for my birds.

i've been using a syringe for water and just slidding food into her mouth and washing it down.

i think she isn't moving or reacting because she is just so undernourished.....

im going to try to feed her back to a better health if possible, then put her in her own brooder coop for a LONG while on a road to recovery..../

She is barely a year and a half., which is another reason im so lost on this.

she shouldn't be getting sick at this age, atleast not with as well as I care for my birds.

i've been using a syringe for water and just slidding food into her mouth and washing it down.

i think she isn't moving or reacting because she is just so undernourished.....

im going to try to feed her back to a better health if possible, then put her in her own brooder coop for a LONG while on a road to recovery..../

With that kind of swelling in her abdomen it could be anything from a tumor to a massive tape worm. Without performing a fecal or blood examination under a microscope it would be impossible to rule out a parasitic infestation. The only other things I can suggest doing is administrating a broad spectrum antibiotic and a dewormer. They sell both of them as many feed stores and I know Tractor Supply Co. carries a nice selection of them.

With that kind of swelling in her abdomen it could be anything from a tumor to a massive tape worm. Without performing a fecal or blood examination under a microscope it would be impossible to rule out a parasitic infestation. The only other things I can suggest doing is administrating a broad spectrum antibiotic and a dewormer. They sell both of them as many feed stores and I know Tractor Supply Co. carries a nice selection of them.
I agree with @DesertChic . No balance and swollen abdomen unfortunately has many reasons. Just try to keep the probiotic/electrolyte water to her and maybe some scrambled egg or soaked layer crumbles. Don't try to guess at chicken nutrition. Make it easy on yourself. Sorry this is happening to you - sending positive thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom