Arizona Chickens

Going off the grid until Sunday afternoon, dont miss me too much you guys!

Fed everyone extra thismonring, and as I type there are happy "honks" and "BAWKS" coming from the backyard. OH and someone just started the Egg song ^^ <3

While im away, have a few photos of my gorgeous new girls, from @Agarrard , Honk 'n' Little <3

lol she just looks so angry all the time <3

le beautiful FACE

Thanks BlueBaby. I'm still learning how to navigate the site.
My babies are 6 weeks now and have been outside for almost 2 weeks. Last week we had a big dust storm with a lot of wind and rain. The prefabricated Chicken Coop did okay but the chicken run we built using untreated wood absorbed a lot of water, to the point that the door had to be tied closed. This week I worked on building a new, bigger and better one. I sealed the wood and used a different fencing, the chicken wire is horrible. I may have to get more construction grade sand for the yard floor but what we have will work for now. I still turn the heat lamp on for them at night because it gets a bit chilly, maybe in the forties. I've noticed the chicks stay in the run or bottom of coop, crying, until we plug the heat lamp in. Once the heat lamp is turned on they run straight up into the coop. Is this normal? Are they being spoiled? Maybe scared of the dark? I have two small solar lights that I keep in the bottom of coop to lure then that way as the sun goes dowb,but it's not enough to make them go to sleep without the lamp on. I don't mind continuing to use the heat lamp until it starts warming up a bit more but I wonder if I'll have to keep a light in there forever. I also changed the lamp from a white light to a red light. Any ideas?
[/IMG]

My babies are 6 weeks now and have been outside for almost 2 weeks. Last week we had a big dust storm with a lot of wind and rain. The prefabricated Chicken Coop did okay but the chicken run we built using untreated wood absorbed a lot of water, to the point that the door had to be tied closed. This week I worked on building a new, bigger and better one. I sealed the wood and used a different fencing, the chicken wire is horrible. I may have to get more construction grade sand for the yard floor but what we have will work for now. I still turn the heat lamp on for them at night because it gets a bit chilly, maybe in the forties. I've noticed the chicks stay in the run or bottom of coop, crying, until we plug the heat lamp in. Once the heat lamp is turned on they run straight up into the coop. Is this normal? Are they being spoiled? Maybe scared of the dark? I have two small solar lights that I keep in the bottom of coop to lure then that way as the sun goes dowb,but it's not enough to make them go to sleep without the lamp on. I don't mind continuing to use the heat lamp until it starts warming up a bit more but I wonder if I'll have to keep a light in there forever. I also changed the lamp from a white light to a red light. Any ideas?
[/URL]

I put my chicks from my New Years Day 2017 hatch out in mine at 4 weeks old. They were fully feathered and I had already stopped using the heat lamp for a week in the brooder in my spare bedroom, to start getting them used to it. I had gone to the weather site and pulled up the 5 day forecast first to see what the over night temps were going to be for my zipcode. I put them out there on the warmest nights, before that rain hit us. I had no heat lamp in the coop, and they are still doing fine.

[/URL]

Their behavior is completely normal. When I first began turning off the heat lamp for my chicks around 6 weeks of age they behaved the same way. They'd all run outside of their pen and gather in the run where it was actually lighter as the sun set, and they would stay there all huddled up by the pop door instead of going inside. As soon as a turned on the heat lamp inside they'd all run inside the pen and spread out under the heat lamp. To break them of the habit of trying to sleep outside I had to herd them into the pen as the sun was beginning to set and then close the pop door. After a couple days they learned that the setting sun meant it was time to go inside. It's just a matter of training them not to be afraid of the dark.
wink.png

My poor girls are afraid of the dark.
I will try ushering then into the coop when it Starts getting dark. Since it's a bit chilly still and they are only 6 weeks old should I wait another week for it to warn up?

Back
Top Bottom