Arizona Chickens

I start working from home next week :wee
My chicks are growing into chickens so fast! Kazoo is probably close to the same size already that Emmett was at 10 months. The naked necks and blue pullets are getting pink combs and wattles, but production took a nose dive after Christmas. Oh well, the big girls deserve a break.
My easter egger hen is still fighting off the roo; there was quite a show of hackles and nasty looks but she held him off. She's the last of the 1 year olds to refuse his advances and half his size :gig

The 1 year olds are still slowly molting. They don't look too bad but I started fermenting feed again. It was easier to make sure everyone got to eat with dry so they could all get used to each other. They're becoming a bit more of a single flock, although the naked necks are integrating faster with the big girls than the blue crew.
My son is coming over next week to help me with some yard work, I need him to muscle the tiller and some pavers before the in laws arrive to pass judgement on my house keeping habits.
Hoping everyone is having a good start this year.
:yuckyuck:D;) ....lol.. my old hens would fight with the younger roos, it was so funny to see how they acted . i had one older BR hen that followed this young roo around and every once in a wile she would just jump him and kick his @@@ well you know what i mean l:gigHA but that was so funny :lol: she really showed him how to have some respect for the ladies and to be more polite...lol.. HA cause the older ladies could give him a good whooping.... if he didn't mind his peas & Q's:old:duc :smack HA :D :lol::lau:lol::gig:p

Seven 2 day old Svart Hona Chicks in West Phoenix Valley. 28 more eggs in due on the 20th. 2 left that are 3 weeks old. If anyone is interested send me a Private message.

In other news. One of our blue egg laying crested cream Legbar girls fell victum to the neighbors dog. :(

and lastly just hatched our first try and French Breese. The chicks have to be the cutest, even cuter than the chipmunk looking cream legbar girls. They are so funny mixed in with the Svart Hona chicks but no problem telling them apart.

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your CLB hens to your neighbors dog. Thanks for sending me a message earlier too.

Have any of you used pinless peepers before? My barred rock is running my barnevelder ragged. It's been going on for months and I'm sick of it. No bullies allowed. I bought a pack of pinless peepers but now I'm afraid they are kind of extreme, the little plastic goes through the birds nostrils? If I can be sure they are humane I'll give it a try, but for now she's in chicken jail.

Seven 2 day old Svart Hona Chicks in West Phoenix Valley. 28 more eggs in due on the 20th. 2 left that are 3 weeks old. If anyone is interested send me a Private message.

In other news. One of our blue egg laying crested cream Legbar girls fell victum to the neighbors dog. :(

and lastly just hatched our first try and French Breese. The chicks have to be the cutest, even cuter than the chipmunk looking cream legbar girls. They are so funny mixed in with the Svart Hona chicks but no problem telling them apart.
Sorry to hear about your legbar. We have a dog that shows up every morning and gets into my chicken poop bucket and steals my scooper...innocent enough but I don't even know whose dog it is. It makes me so mad when people don't keep their dogs on their own property.

Sorry to hear about your legbar. We have a dog that shows up every morning and gets into my chicken poop bucket and steals my scooper...innocent enough but I don't even know whose dog it is. It makes me so mad when people don't keep their dogs on their own property.

Thanks. This was neighbors new dog and has never been a problem and they feel terrible. We had an early morning coyote pass through, so don't let the girls out until after 9 am these days. Havent seen him in a while. Lost at least 6 we think to him before we saw him. Including two young gorgeous male Black Copper Marans.

My daughter has 3 hens she keeps in Tucson while in college she scared off a hawk who had her legbar. The wing is ruined and still hasnt healed but 3 months later the chicken is doing fine. Her 3 are the sweetest ones i have met since she spoils the crap out of them. They come to here bedroom sliding door and beg for food while she is studying.

@BlueBaby - keep me in mind. I'm ready to start up my brooder.

Are you wanting some of these Australorps that I have? I do have 2 pullet's still that haven't been bought yet from my other hatch. One is Black, and one is Blue. Those would be good for you if you can't have a roo, since they are old enough now for me to know. My hen's are still a bit slow on the egg laying yet, so it will be a bit still before I will be able to put any of their's in the incubator. Other than that, the eggs that I will be putting in on Sunday are blue ones from the Crested Cream Legbars that I will be buying from howesmr.

Have any of you used pinless peepers before? My barred rock is running my barnevelder ragged. It's been going on for months and I'm sick of it. No bullies allowed. I bought a pack of pinless peepers but now I'm afraid they are kind of extreme, the little plastic goes through the birds nostrils? If I can be sure they are humane I'll give it a try, but for now she's in chicken jail.
:goodpost: good move on your part..! i saw that pinless thing in an ad, but was concerned like you , ive read that people take the offender out of the flock and keep them in a cage were they can all see each other, then at the end of a time, im not sure how long , the bully changes for some reason ,when it goes back into the flock , but i had half my first flock that bullied the other half of my flock , it was nuts, so i had my husband put a wall in across the coop with a door so that would not happen all night , but they all went out every day to free range, after a year they are all getting along...? dont ask me why..? but the bullying stopped..????? maybe they all just needed to grow up a bit ..????? and get with the program , but i did yell at them, like bad kids, when any of them were pecking at another bird..! ...lol.. :lol: and they did stop and look at me, so they do understand a lot more then they let on..HA;) :p:gig:lol: :p

Back
Top Bottom