Arizona Chickens

20180308_112110-1.jpg
20180308_121747.jpg
20180308_122126.jpg

Hey guys, I made some unflavored gelatin with blueberries in it for the girls today. This was super quick to gel and would be great with fruit and/or veggies as a cool summer treat. I might sprinkle a little bird seed on the top before putting in the fridge next time. Seems to be chicken approved anyway. The box of gelatin has 4 envelopes inside so there's enough for 4 treats for my girls.

I just did what could quite possibly be the most idiotic thing I have ever done, and you guys can appreciate it. I'm doing laundry and my washer beeps to tell me it's finished...I go to put clothes in the dryer and I see little flakes and specks and white stuff all over everything...I LEFT AN EGG IN MY COAT POCKET AND RAN IT THROUGH THE WASHING MACHINE :lau:he:oops: There is semi cooked egg, raw egg, and shell bits. Everywhere. Holy chicken nugget this is the biggest mess I've ever seen.

Friends, check your pockets before laundering your coop coat!

I just did what could quite possibly be the most idiotic thing I have ever done, and you guys can appreciate it. I'm doing laundry and my washer beeps to tell me it's finished...I go to put clothes in the dryer and I see little flakes and specks and white stuff all over everything...I LEFT AN EGG IN MY COAT POCKET AND RAN IT THROUGH THE WASHING MACHINE :lau:he:oops: There is semi cooked egg, raw egg, and shell bits. Everywhere. Holy chicken nugget this is the biggest mess I've ever seen.

:lau:highfive:

@MagicChicken are these Javas that just hatched?

@FeatherPugs they are supposed to be Black Javas. But a bunch of them won't conform to the breed standard for color reasons.

I set 18 eggs from the pen I most wanted to breed from (the cockbird took 2nd place for the breed a couple of years ago, out of 12 Javas shown.) 16 of those eggs turned out to be clear. Only one of the two fertile eggs hatched. That was my most promising pen in terms of breed conformance to standard, but if the birds aren't fertile they're not good chickens no matter how great they look. I'll switch out the hens with him for next breeding season and see if he does better. If not, he's stew.

Most of the chicks that hatched are from a cockerel who doesn't conform to the Black Java standard for color reasons. I set eggs from his pen because he was a broody hatched-and-raised bird who managed to get himself out of an egg in early June. Plus he's got a strong, wide body and an appropriate back line for Javas. I figured if he could hatch himself outside in June he was a keeper. I would rather have vigorous birds with color disqualifications than conforming birds that don't have the vigor. I set 18 eggs from his pen and 13 were fertile. 10 of them hatched. Some of them might actually conform in terms of color. Time will tell.

In the meantime there is a brooder full of happy, bouncing chicks. Life is good :love

:gig:gig:gig

I laugh, but it is only a matter of time before I do this too. It happens with Kleenex all the time.

Usually I forget there is an egg in my pocket. Then I break the egg all over my phone or my keys. Which are easier to clean than a washing machine full of clothes.

Good luck cleaning up the mess.

Hatch update: it started slow and finished strong. As of this morning there are 13 healthy, bouncy chicks in the brooder.

2 more eggs pipped and are still in the hatcher but I don't think they will hatch. They pipped over 24 hours ago and there hasn't been any progress since. I'll leave them in for another day or so just in case.

Two eggs came out of the incubator with the air cells on the bottom - in the narrow end of the egg. I've never seen that before. The chicks had developed so I put those eggs in the hatcher anyway. I suspect those are the two eggs that did not pip. Will candle them tonight to see.

Woohoo! Congratulations on the babies!!!! :wee

View attachment 1288366 View attachment 1288367 View attachment 1288368

Hey guys, I made some unflavored gelatin with blueberries in it for the girls today. This was super quick to gel and would be great with fruit and/or veggies as a cool summer treat. I might sprinkle a little bird seed on the top before putting in the fridge next time. Seems to be chicken approved anyway. The box of gelatin has 4 envelopes inside so there's enough for 4 treats for my girls.

I see the lighter blue girl there, where's the darker blue one at? Wasn't she curious to what was on your plate?

Back
Top Bottom