Arizona Chickens

Thank you! Been a VERY busy couple of days. Me and my fiance eloped and got married on Christmas Eve at the courthouse (we'll have the official celebration in June like we planned originally) and then Christmas with our blended family of his kids/my kids yesterday morning and then extended family Christmas yesterday evening. Didn't go to bed until midnight but up at 5am for work this morning. I'm one pooped out momma!

I was saying the same thing to my husband (eee! have to get used to calling him that) about our weather. We had a NONsoon this year and I'm so happy to have the rain now, my garden is LOVING it!

My "big girls" are Barred Rock, Buff Orp, EE and a Blue Laced Wyondotte (who I think is a cross cuz she's mostly just variegated blue/gray - I guess I expected more penciling in her feathers)

My "baby girls" are 2 RIW and 2 Black Australorpe.

Yet to come is 4 Seramas. My oldest boy (he's 21) told me they are my Christmas gift, just have to find some local and of course be prepared for more babies!

I seen some of those Serama chick's in Mesa on Craigslist. They want $20.00 each as straight runs. They said they are 3 week's old. They are all your's if you want them, I like the big chicken's.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/d/mesa-serama-chicks/7033143054.html

Hi everyone! Been a while since I’ve last logged in, just wanted to share my favorite Christmas gift; my chickens laid their first eggs! Christmas Day we did our usual chicken coop cleaning and we spotted an egg :) not sure which of our chickens it was but we’ve been getting an egg a day since then and can’t wait until all four of our girls start laying! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you all have an amazing new year

Hi everyone! Been a while since I’ve last logged in, just wanted to share my favorite Christmas gift; my chickens laid their first eggs! Christmas Day we did our usual chicken coop cleaning and we spotted an egg :) not sure which of our chickens it was but we’ve been getting an egg a day since then and can’t wait until all four of our girls start laying! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you all have an amazing new year

Great! Even though those first pullet egg's are a bit on the smaller size, that first one that you find is always the most exciting! Congrats!

Great! Even though those first pullet egg's are a bit on the smaller size, that first one that you find is always the most exciting! Congrats!
Haha yes! They’re the cutest brown eggs I’ve ever seen How can you tell whether an egg has the possibility of hatching? We have a rooster but we’re not sure if any of the eggs will hatch eventually

Haha yes! They’re the cutest brown eggs I’ve ever seen How can you tell whether an egg has the possibility of hatching? We have a rooster but we’re not sure if any of the eggs will hatch eventually
I'm not a hatchacholic:gig, as I actually do not hatch chicks, but from what I have read across BYC, It is better to hatch out eggs that are from established layers. (meaning, not fresh start pullets, first small eggs). The success rate of successful chicks is better.:thumbsup
On the second thought, to add here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wait until you have a broody hen to do the work for you. :old There are many benefits to having the hen raise the chicks, VS you doing it, and then needing to go thru the integration process.
I'm suggesting this, since you do have a small flock, and are not in the need to increase the size quickly. If you do want to increase to large, and now,,,, then incubator with plenty of eggs is the way to go.
You may also take into consideration the timing. Do it when the temps are favorable for chicks to be hatched naturally, by hen, and run around, without the need for additional heat. :highfive:

I'm not a hatchacholic:gig, as I actually do not hatch chicks, but from what I have read across BYC, It is better to hatch out eggs that are from established layers. (meaning, not fresh start pullets, first small eggs). The success rate of successful chicks is better.:thumbsup
On the second thought, to add here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wait until you have a broody hen to do the work for you. :old There are many benefits to having the hen raise the chicks, VS you doing it, and then needing to go thru the integration process.
I'm suggesting this, since you do have a small flock, and are not in the need to increase the size quickly. If you do want to increase to large, and now,,,, then incubator with plenty of eggs is the way to go.
You may also take into consideration the timing. Do it when the temps are favorable for chicks to be hatched naturally, by hen, and run around, without the need for additional heat. :highfive:
Thank you for the information! We don’t plan on drastically increasing our flock size but I was curious about finding out whether the eggs were fertile :D for now however, we’re just looking forward to some fresh eggs every morning :p

Back
Top Bottom