Arizona Chickens

I think my pet chicken might have as few as 3 for a minimum, it varies by zip code. Hoover's is 15 and if you wanted 10 (they'll ship 12) you could get Hoovers from tractor supply, but it'd be all 10/12 of the same bird. And be very flexible and open to surprise as to when the TSC mail order hoover's birds arrive! Hoover's direct is very reliable though.
This is one reason I like to order from the hatchery or breeder. You know there is no TSC employee intermediary un-boxing and handling the chicks. There are no labels on the pens at my local TSC.

I have that same climber, I think it’s joseph’s coat, I’ll take the petals off and give them to the flock for a treat and then let the hips go. I will be adding the hips to the tea blend I make once they are ready for harvest. I have tried to propagate my roses with no success.
love your flowering ground, will you save me some
I have that same climber, I think it’s joseph’s coat, I’ll take the petals off and give them to the flock for a treat and then let the hips go. I will be adding the hips to the tea blend I make once they are ready for harvest. I have tried to propagate my roses with no success.
love your flowering ground, will you save me some seeds?
Yes, it is Joseph's coat! I also have Golden Shower 🙄 yes, that is actually the name. That is the massive yellow (that turns to white) rose bush,LOVE the America rose, and the Queen Elizabeth was slow growing, but now that it has taken off, its is really gorgeous. I have some Don Juan, that is the red climber.. I think that is it. I have 20+ of them planted.

The ground cover is an ice plant variety. It has already gone to seed, but a little differently than most re-seeding plants. The center of the flower turns into this wood UFO looking disk that I swear I cannot open without using pliers, at which point there are about 20 seeds, about the size of a grain of salt each. So I am predicting it will reproprogate itself every second or third season, after the pods break down. So I have already purchased more seeds for this coming season, and will probably do it for one more. After that, it should successfully reseed without any intervention. It filled in more than in that pic as well.

I order them from www.outsidepride.com , They are called the Livingstone Daisy. There are some sites that label another red succulent flower as Livingstone, it is not it. It is the colorful daisy ones. But that site is pretty affordable, I think I got 10,000 seeds the last time. The rockier and sandier the better, no prepping. In fact, the areas I prepped with a little soil, didn't even take. They die off as it gets hot, which is why I put more rock in my yard to cover the dirt, but as soon as the monsoons end, they pop up overnight! I had so many butterflies and birds visiting, finches, goldfinch, hummingbirds. It was really nice. Looking forward to this year.

Should be Hoover's, at least for the past few years.

yes I agree, the past few years it's hoovers. it was privetts before that.
I got mine at Pratts, and they used Privetts previously as well. Now they are using IdealPoultry.com which also lets you do small orders. I am VERY happy with the birds! The feathering on the D'Uccles is excellent, and my little non-bearded silkies finally have the cutest poof heads! I will have to update pics.. so adorable.

I have to work now.. I just want to stay home with my chickens. 😢

I think my pet chicken might have as few as 3 for a minimum, it varies by zip code. Hoover's is 15 and if you wanted 10 (they'll ship 12) you could get Hoovers from tractor supply, but it'd be all 10/12 of the same bird. And be very flexible and open to surprise as to when the TSC mail order hoover's birds arrive! Hoover's direct is very reliable though.
That is where we ordered our 1st set of chicks years ago, the price was still like $50-$70 for any under 20. Now that I know that I would rather order extra and find homes for the extra.

I got mine at Pratts, and they used Privetts previously as well. Now they are using IdealPoultry.com which also lets you do small orders. I am VERY happy with the birds! The feathering on the D'Uccles is excellent, and my little non-bearded silkies finally have the cutest poof heads! I will have to update pics.. so adorable.

I have to work now.. I just want to stay home with my chickens. 😢
Every time I go to Pratt’s their chicks look sick. I still bought some from them cause we had a broody, years ago.

Different hatcheries have different minimum order amounts. Hoover's is 10, I believe. I would most like to be able to go in on an order with other BYCers, that way there would be less risk of having too many chickens! HA! :gig
I have an order of 15 andalusians (their miniimum), straight run from hoover's, but if I end up with 7-8 pullets I'll need them all.

That is where we ordered our 1st set of chicks years ago, the price was still like $50-$70 for any under 20. Now that I know that I would rather order extra and find homes for the extra.
I agree, and another strategy I haven't tried yet is to order some egg layers, and some straight run or dual purpose/semi meat breeds to round out the minimum.

I have an order of 15 andalusians (their miniimum), straight run from hoover's, but if I end up with 7-8 pullets I'll need them all.
Very true! But, I am not sure about Hoovers, lots of hatcheries you could order what you wanted and add 5 to your order for your friend, if you got together in advance to plan your order. I ordered 25 from Ideal because that was their minimum and 10 were sex-links that I knew I could find a home for on Craig's list if I wanted to. I would have been happy to add 5 to my order for a fellow member of BYC that wanted them, and probably next time I make an order I will post here in advance now that this has come up!:D

Every time I go to Pratt’s their chicks look sick. I still bought some from them cause we had a broody, years ago.
I pick the day they come in, before they have a chance to mutilate each other and learn gangster tricks, like the mean girl i had to send back! I just call to find out what day they are expecting their chicks and then get there first. Kind of depends on the demand.. it was crazy at first then stopped, so they aren't ordering anymore til fall. (How do i know this?? Why am i still looking for chicks?!?!)

Back
Top Bottom