Arizona Chickens

Very true! But, I am not sure about Hoovers, lots of hatcheries you could order what you wanted and add 5 to your order for your friend, if you got together in advance to plan your order. I ordered 25 from Ideal because that was their minimum and 10 were sex-links that I knew I could find a home for on Craig's list if I wanted to. I would have been happy to add 5 to my order for a fellow member of BYC that wanted them, and probably next time I make an order I will post here in advance now that this has come up!:D
definitely post hear next time! I'm about an hour away from you. I'd thought about it, but decided to have the hatchlings arrive in mid-september when it's at least starting to cool off d own here. Last August I ordered some birds, and they were inside until they were almost a month old, waiting for the heat to break in Cordes Lakes.

I was spying on my chicks, they don't sleep cuddled or on their roost. They each lay spread out on their side, like they need a pillow and blanket. 🐥🛌
It is like they fall asleep while they are walking and just pass out where ever they fall. That means they are comfortable. If they were cold they would ball up together for warmth.

Last edited:
definitely post hear next time! I'm about an hour away from you. I'd thought about it, but decided to have the hatchlings arrive in mid-september when it's at least starting to cool off d own here. Last August I ordered some birds, and they were inside until they were almost a month old, waiting for the heat to break in Cordes Lakes.
Well, late August -Mid September is perfect brooding weather in Prescott. If we were to split an order, I would be happy to start them all, and that way you could get them sooner. They would be a month old and ready to go! (You could bring a bag of chick feed when you came to pick them up by way of support for your babies)! I already have some on the way this fall from Sandhill, you have to order from them in Jan to get what you want. More big white rocks, st. run. All of his chicks are st run. 10 will be assorted, if he sends and blue andalusians I will let you know. Lots of other places they can drive to a hatchery and pick up a few chicks, but not here in AZ. There are enough of us to make an order for a box of 25 easy. I have been wanting some of those Moyer's Imperial broilers. I was just figuring that I would fill up the box with the ISA brown sex-links they have, but maybe there are other AZ members who would want some meat birds. The price for each one goes down if you order 50.;) You guys in the desert have an advantage over me, you can order chicks late in the year and in Jan, when it is too cold here.

@Parront I would be interested in a couple of the Moyer's Imperial broiler. I like the idea of the bigger thigh's on those. That's the part of the cooked chicken that I like best. I'd take a cockerel and a pullet breeding pair. Their names shall be Jack and Jill.
Aren't you going to eat even one before you start hatching out their eggs? Maybe have a Dick & Jane for a BBQ dinner :lau

Aren't you going to eat even one before you start hatching out their eggs? Maybe have a Dick & Jane for a BBQ dinner :lau

I don't know how many that you will be ordering, and I was trying not to be greedy with you. But if you could spare a couple of breeding pair's of those, you could easily twist my arm to take them. ;)

Edit: You said that you can't have any roo's over there, so someone has to be able to breed them, right? :gig

I don't know how many that you will be ordering, and I was trying not to be greedy with you. But if you could spare a couple of breeding pair's of those, you could easily twist my arm to take them. ;)
The minimum order from Moyer's is 20. https://www.moyerschicks.com/catalo...imperial-broiler-day-old-chicks-straight-run/
I am full up with chicks until Spring so I am just dreaming right now, you are welcome to split an order of St run = 26.10 for 10, and you could pick out the best for your breeders and eat the rest in fine meat bird tradition. I was figuring on 10 meat birds and then 10 ISA Brown layers that they sell to fill up the box, every one seems to like them as layers and I would have had to sell them on craig's list. Kind of a pain to do that but It works. It would be so much easier to know before I got them where they are going. I just do not have the freezer space for 20! Maybe if @springvalley123 wanted some it would be just the right number for all of us. Then we could have a get-together ~8 or 9 weeks later for "processing" day? I used to have a Mexican neighbor when I had chickens in California, and he would come over and help out with the plucking. I did 4 geese, lots of plucking, he got one for his efforts, all were happy. Geese are to die for as Christmas dinner in my German descended family. :drool

Back
Top Bottom