Arizona Chickens

The NN new pullet layer layed her 2nd egg today, and I was out there again when she did it. I seen her hunch up and heard her grunting to push it out. It's a tiny bit bigger than yesterday's egg was. After she finished laying it, she walked over to me so that I could pet her and give her praise from doing a good job.

I'm fixing to start thinning the aloe vera out over here again. It's gotten so thick again that they are growing on top of each other in layer's. If anyone want's some free starter's of it let me know, because I'd rather not have to waste them.
What colors do you have? Ill analyze my yard.. i think i might do a low wildflower mix.. gotta get seed down before the possible RAINNNN next week 😍

I cant believe i just started getting eggs, and now I've got a broody girl!! My silkie Nala was laying on everyone elses eggs and the ceramic.. and would not leave the coop (except quickly for treats). So she is in a cage right next to the other girls. She doesn't normally roost, so she's toppling a bit, but trying her best!! Hopefully she's good in a couple days.
20201020_153829.jpg

Better get used to that then. I heard that the silkie hen's will lay a few egg's and then go broody all the time.
Well she paid it ahead at least 😆 was getting daily eggs from her since day 1 for about 3 weeks. Her eggs have the biggest yolks too. Another person on a silkie thread said theirs turn into an egg machine right before going broody, so that might have been a sign.

Minnie usually sleeps w her, so the last few minutes before the others go in the coop at night, they are sitting side by side through the wire cage. I hope i can put her back in today.

Silkies and Cochins are the top broody hens around, and make EXCELENT MOMS. Many peeps just keep them instead of incubators.

On the other end of the spectrum, White Leghorns (worlds' most common chicken) rarely go broody. The one that I had never went broody. Many peeps claim their WL are not very friendly. Mine was just fine on the friendly portion. She did not rise to the point of being a lap chicken though. Maybe in springtime, I might get one
( yes only one :gig ) from the feed store. I do need some egg production, since my chickens are ether too old, or just lazy, and 6 are banties. Banties get a pass, because of their cuteness. The 2 remaining LF are a RIR at 9 years, and a Welsummer at 2+ years. She molted and most-likely wont see eggs until spring.
I almost forgot how eggs look,,,,,,, Oh wait,,, correction.:gig:lau

1603313194369.png
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom