Arizona Chickens

BlueBaby

Addict
Mar 21, 2016
Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
Hope everyone is doing good finally starting to cool down! lost a Welslummer last week pretty sure it was mareks. Lost another yesterday. Yesterday was cream puff in the original video I posted. Can’t believe she lasted that long!!! On a positive note I am getting 12-17 eggs a day:eek: unfortunately no one is buying fresh eggs!!! So I made break Burros out of some. 11/20 fertile eggs have made it to day 18:weesuper excited about this. Hoping to create a mareks resistant chicken from all this! had a super big egg today it turned out to be a double yolker from one of my older ee hens
Sorry that you lost the hen's. :hugs

If you get too many egg's you can always boil up some, then peel and chop them up and freeze them in a ziplock baggy. They can be thawed out later. I did that when I was getting too many egg's this past spring. The thawed out one's can be used to make egg salad, potato salad, or even fed back to your flock in some wet feed or just a treat for them when you think that they need the extra protein and vitamin's that are in the egg's.

Suzyqschickens

Songster
Jun 2, 2018
Sorry that you lost the hen's. :hugs

If you get too many egg's you can always boil up some, then peel and chop them up and freeze them in a ziplock baggy. They can be thawed out later. I did that when I was getting too many egg's this past spring. The thawed out one's can be used to make egg salad, potato salad, or even fed back to your flock in some wet feed or just a treat for them when you think that they need the extra protein and vitamin's that are in the egg's.

its ok. I am expecting it. I have been keeping my coop damp and watching for any new signs from other flock members. And then separating immediately to hopefully stop the spread. I’m really hopefully for these hatchlings to be strong and get past this stupid disease! I also expect to lose some of them as well. I have chose not to vaccinate so :fl

on another none I am really over this Covid business! This home schooling and working part time as a nurse and being exposed is really taking its toll on me! Can we just wish on a magic star and make it go away?

City farm

Crowing
Jul 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
The NN new pullet layer layed her 2nd egg today, and I was out there again when she did it. I seen her hunch up and heard her grunting to push it out. It's a tiny bit bigger than yesterday's egg was. After she finished laying it, she walked over to me so that I could pet her and give her praise from doing a good job.
Wanted to ask if the NN I got from you came from green eggs, or do you think they will be green layers? I have a new layer & it’s a pretty green color.

Geckolady

Songster
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
Lots of excitement around here!

My 'puter is on its last legs, but my new Macbook arrived yesterday, so I should be able to chat again.

Today I went to the poultry show in Saint Johns. The only Sussex was one bantam being shown, and the only cuckoo Marans were some really scrubby looking males in a cage for sale. They must have been molting.

I went to the sale tables, and was attracted to a group there. The man selling them takes chicken shows seriously. He said he was selling them because of their color. Someone sold him a bird that he felt should have known would produce awful color, and he wanted them out of his flock and gene pool. Since the breed is "an egg laying machine," he brought them to sell to someone who might want good egg producing backyard chickens. That person is me.

He said they won't go broody, and offered to sell me a RIR with them since she would go broody. But she was more than twice their size, and I've heard about RIR temperament, and didn't want them beaten to a pulp.

One pullet should start laying any day now, and the other two are about a week or two behind. The cockerel is about the same age. Here are some pictures. Introducing my new Cuckoo Leghorn flock!
20201024_093604.jpg
20201024_093606.jpg
20201024_092822.jpg

AngBantamLuv

Songster
May 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Lots of excitement around here!

My 'puter is on its last legs, but my new Macbook arrived yesterday, so I should be able to chat again.

Today I went to the poultry show in Saint Johns. The only Sussex was one bantam being shown, and the only cuckoo Marans were some really scrubby looking males in a cage for sale. They must have been molting.

I went to the sale tables, and was attracted to a group there. The man selling them takes chicken shows seriously. He said he was selling them because of their color. Someone sold him a bird that he felt should have known would produce awful color, and he wanted them out of his flock and gene pool. Since the breed is "an egg laying machine," he brought them to sell to someone who might want good egg producing backyard chickens. That person is me.

He said they won't go broody, and offered to sell me a RIR with them since she would go broody. But she was more than twice their size, and I've heard about RIR temperament, and didn't want them beaten to a pulp.

One pullet should start laying any day now, and the other two are about a week or two behind. The cockerel is about the same age. Here are some pictures. Introducing my new Cuckoo Leghorn flock! View attachment 2385719 View attachment 2385721 View attachment 2385722
How perfect!!! They look beautiful!

Top Bottom