Arizona Chickens

Actually, she can have 8 chickens per acre, according to the county. County is pretty restrictive unless you are a farm with over 5 acres.
D. ALLOWED ANIMAL CHART
Allowed Animal Chart
Animal Type
Animals ALLOWED
CATEGORY A – Swine*, Dairy Cow, Bison, Steer/Heifer, Horse or other of similar size/weight
2 PER ACRE or fraction thereof
CATEGORY B - Ostrich, Miniature Horse, Llama, Sheep, Goat, Emu or other of similar size/weight
5 PER ACRE or fraction thereof
CATEGORY C - Turkeys, Peacocks, Geese, Pheasants, Ducks, Pigeons, Chinchillas, Rabbits, Chickens or other of similar size/weight
8 PER ACRE or fraction thereof
Off-spring up to one year of age of on-site animals do not count towards the total. After one year of age animal off-spring count as adult animals. *Swine shall not exceed five (5) total per parcel.

At least they let you keep roosters.
The restrictions vary widely. I was reading what applies here for our AR-5 (Ag Res 5 acres even tho we have 2 adjacent parcels totaling almost 4 acres) zoning in Chino Valley town limits (Yav Co). We can only have 1 pig per acre, but the rest is not really restricted. I can also have a house and guest house (we are living in the old mobile home which will become the "guest house" or just my office). My commercial sized greenhouse (built Dec 24, 1969 according to the date in the concrete) would not be able to be built now but I can maintain it as non-conforming. We will soon see what CV says about the rest when I talk to them about a house permit hopefully in next couple of months.

Last edited:
The restrictions vary widely. I was reading what applies here for our AR-5 (Ag Res 5 acres even tho we have 2 adjacent parcels totaling almost 4 acres) zoning in Chino Valley town limits (Yav Co). We can only have 1 pig per acre, but the rest is not really restricted. I can also have a house and guest house (we are living in the old mobile home which will become the "guest house" or just my office). My commercial sized greenhouse (built Dec 24, 1969 according to the date in the concrete) would not be able to be built now but I can maintain it as non-conforming. We will soon see what CV says about the rest when I talk to them about a house permit hopefully in next couple of months.
They count an acre as 35,000 sq ft. You might need to measure carefully.

Chino Valley has good deep dirt. The wells were deep, some places, too.

Just as the last bust was happening, i was purchasing an acre lot home in CV.. now you guys have me daydreaming of 10 acres.. only prob is the ducks, chickens, mini goats, mini pigs, miniature donkeys, parrots, and dogs, will all end up in the house! The cat has to stay outside tho.. allergies 🤷‍♀️

Edit: left out the mini cow!!

I looked at a house with a new alt. septic system that the guy said cost him $18.000. Did not buy.
me too. there was all this special stuff for it, it'd be impossible to have a coop, and I doubt I could let the chickens range over the septic's bubbler area either. It was 2-3.5 acres and not even enough space for a shed or coop!

Just as the last bust was happening, i was purchasing an acre lot home in CV.. now you guys have me daydreaming of 10 acres.. only prob is the ducks, chickens, mini goats, mini pigs, miniature donkeys, parrots, and dogs, will all end up in the house! The cat has to stay outside tho.. allergies 🤷‍♀️

If you have all of those in the house, where are you going to sleep?

If you have all of those in the house, where are you going to sleep?
Definitely need a fullsize bunk bed!

Hmm.. now that im thinking of it.. i visited a friend's family in mexico way back when. The uncle just loved this baby calf, so he put in a window and the calf would stick its head into the house!! I might actually have pics somewhere! Maybe that would be the happy medium.

Parrots live in the house. Chickens, NOT! LOL ;)

Back
Top Bottom