Arizona Chickens

Someone told me that hawk's will nest in the tallest tree.
I believe it.

---EDIT--- Remember hawks are covered by a law that prohibits messing with them. So don't mess with them.-----

But new twist... my neighbor just now called me to ask what to do about an injured hawk that is sitting by her garage. I told her call Game & Fish... after a few calls we ended up calling the Zoo in Prescott who gave directions - basically throw towel over it and put in a box and deliver it to them tomorrow because they don't have anyone to come out at night for animal emergencies right now. ---NOTE: We do not mess with a hawk unless directed by the animal emergency line at the zoo.---

I think it is one of the juveniles from the nest (even though it looks full size). It may be missing an eye so it will just go to a rehab and then probably to the zoo or other sanctuary since I doubt it can fly or hunt with one eye.

Last edited:
I believe it.

But new twist... my neighbor just now called me to ask what to do about an injured hawk that is sitting by her garage. I told her call Game & Fish... after a few calls we ended up calling the Zoo in Prescott who gave directions - basically throw towel over it and put in a box and deliver it to them tomorrow because they don't have anyone to come out at night for animal emergencies right now.

I think it is one of the juveniles from the nest (even though it looks full size). It may be missing an eye so it will just go to a rehab and then probably to the zoo or other sanctuary since I doubt it can fly or hunt with one eye.

Good, that's one less hawk that will be trying to get your chicken's, then.

I believe it.

---EDIT--- Remember hawks are covered by a law that prohibits messing with them. So don't mess with them.-----

But new twist... my neighbor just now called me to ask what to do about an injured hawk that is sitting by her garage. I told her call Game & Fish... after a few calls we ended up calling the Zoo in Prescott who gave directions - basically throw towel over it and put in a box and deliver it to them tomorrow because they don't have anyone to come out at night for animal emergencies right now. ---NOTE: We do not mess with a hawk unless directed by the animal emergency line at the zoo.---

Fallen Feathers is another organization that will rescue lost birds and injured raptors. They are in Peoria i believe.

It's amazing that nest or even remnants could make it thru the winds of the winter (regular gusts even now up to 50 mph or more).
Birds are MASTER BUILDERS...... :old
Squirrels are not far behind. Last summer, we had some severe storms. This is what happened to a large tree limb by my house. Surprising to me most of the squirrel nest I recalled, were still intact in adjoining trees.
IMG_20200810_182313276.jpg
IMG_20200810_182509719.jpg

Hawks nested in the same tree as last year near the Pole Barn Chicken Coop with just the aviary netting on the run. There are some hungry hawks (maybe juveniles) that probably would test the netting or won't see it very well even though I have flag tape on it.

So I had to shut the egg layers & Roger up in the Pole Barn area today (it's pretty roomy for 13 birds) but they are not going to like it since no access to Lazy River today. Better alive and angry than dead. I'll go out and sit with them at Lazy River so everyone is happier later.

The other coop/run areas have a stronger wire covering or a roof so no need to do anything different there.
When my young ones are out, I sit out there with them, but now I will let them roam without me right there in the afternoons. The hawks want to eat something the size of a pigeon the most. They will kill a bigger bird and eat what they can -- then fly to the nest to feet the young ones. They will return to the kill for more food for the babies. People in the Seattle area give the raptors the fish heads and remains after they filet them, somewhere away from the home place. You might like to think of this use for your "harvest" waste?

Well, before too long I will have a nice pair of feathered egg incubators. They'll probably be a lot more fun than the machine on the counter. Operation Chicken Run is about to commence.

From what I've been reading, cockerels raised by hens tend to be less aggressive, and that will be a bonus, since about half the chicks will be male.
It really does depend on your situation. How many cockerels in the hatch? How many adult males in the flock to teach the little boys manners? What are the hen's personalities? Tough White Rock? Mild mannered Orpington?

When my young ones are out, I sit out there with them, but now I will let them roam without me right there in the afternoons. The hawks want to eat something the size of a pigeon the most. They will kill a bigger bird and eat what they can -- then fly to the nest to feet the young ones. They will return to the kill for more food for the babies. People in the Seattle area give the raptors the fish heads and remains after they filet them, somewhere away from the home place. You might like to think of this use for your "harvest" waste?
Yes, offering up the waste (in the middle of the field away from coops) makes sense in many ways.

How are your duck babies?

Back
Top Bottom