Arizona Chickens

I see some grown turkeys on CL up in Chino Valley/Prescott area lately --$40 or $50 EACH! You have to watch out you're not getting meat turkeys if you aren't going to harvest them. I don't know what kind they are - CL ad only says he THINKS they are heritage breed.
I'm not a turkey expert, but my understanding is ALL turkeys are MEAT TURKEYS.:gig:old

Of course I know what you are saying,,:hugs.. There are about a dozen different breeds common, when I looked at a site that sells young poults. The price was averaging around $20 each with some on sale for $10. I also read that the TOP TASTING BREED, was the Bourbon Red. Developed breed from Kentucky.

The Broad Breasted White is commercially the most widely used breed of domesticated turkey.
I think it is this breed you are calling a Meat turkey.
1618901181835.png

I also recycle ALL my spent egg shells back thru my chickens

I have used Du Mor and Layena both crumbles and pellets and noticed no measurable difference In overall consumption. I’ve compared the nutritional tags and noticed no difference in feed content.

In difference, the dumor has smaller pellets and more residual powder. The chickens seem to have easier consumption of the smaller pellets. This, and the $2/50lbs difference drives my purchase. The powdered feed ends up being a source of black soldier fly larvae starter.

I could never measure egg production variations or actual egg flavor. The price per bag difference never seemed justified.

I recycle ALL expended shells! My eggs are harder than my ex-wives heart, certainly not as hard as her mothers, but nothing on this planet is, or ever could be.

I'm starting to get confused on chicken feeds. One thread says DuMor is awful, another one says Purina is awful, and still others like those brands. Most of the time I just get what is available, and TSC was unloading a shipment when I got there.
I just gave a bag of Naturewise Feather Fixer to a friend whose neighbor has several chickens. My birds wouldn't eat it. I wouldn't be surprised if DuMor is actually identical to one of the big names just with the TSC label. I know our local grain mill's food is actually Purina (per the store employees).
I've been feeding the girls purina flock raiser crumbles and I'm going to try the new bag of purina layena crumbles when that bag runs out, or sooner so I can mix them.

I just gave a bag of Naturewise Feather Fixer to a friend whose neighbor has several chickens. My birds wouldn't eat it. I wouldn't be surprised if DuMor is actually identical to one of the big names just with the TSC label. I know our local grain mill's food is actually Purina (per the store employees).
I've been feeding the girls purina flock raiser crumbles and I'm going to try the new bag of purina layena crumbles when that bag runs out, or sooner so I can mix them.
That's funny, and mine fight over their dog bowl of naturewise feather fixer. I get the small pellet, but i didn't know til this week that they also have a crumble version available.

I love how beautiful the Aloha's are... how is their egg song? As quiet as a mouse, or loud as a goose? (Yes, i am daydreaming 💭). I guess coloring wise, a mille fleur is as close as I'll get with a bantam.

Just finished coop cleaning, happy birds.. they always check it out like its a new house.
I would say no louder than any other breeds. most of the time I don't notice their egg song compared to some of the rest. Though yesterday, one of the Aloha girls was doing this strange gwaping egg song, enough to make me come out and try to find out who was dying, lol.

I would say no louder than any other breeds. most of the time I don't notice their egg song compared to some of the rest. Though yesterday, one of the Aloha girls was doing this strange gwaping egg song, enough to make me come out and try to find out who was dying, lol.
Daisy, my white D'uccle, does a super weird fake rooster crow everyday.. sounds like a cartoon character turkey dying!

Back
Top Bottom