Arizona Chickens

Wow, stores in Alaska not stocking chicken feed? I hope it doesn't happen here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/stores-not-stocking-food.1485839/
Alaska depends on freight from the Lower 48 for all their food, chickens included. The only grains they can grow locally are Oats & Barley, not great as chicken feed, but useable in a pinch if you add a protein source -- they feed salmon to their dogs. I went to Alaska years ago, really considered (wanted to) moving there in the mid 90's, but too far from family. If I lived there my chickens would get lots of fish cleaning scraps, the fishing was fantastic!

Alaska depends on freight from the Lower 48 for all their food, chickens included. The only grains they can grow locally are Oats & Barley, not great as chicken feed, but useable in a pinch if you add a protein source -- they feed salmon to their dogs. I went to Alaska years ago, really considered (wanted to) moving there in the mid 90's, but too far from family. If I lived there my chickens would get lots of fish cleaning scraps, the fishing was fantastic!
And you wouldn't need a fan, misters, ice trays etc but think of the work, keeping their water from freezing in the winter!

@CaroleW How are those new chick's that you hatched out doing?
They are doing great! 1 male and 1 female Barred Holland (you can tell from spot on head) and the Naked Neck/Wyandotte- we will have to wait and see what it turns out to be. Next batch goes on lockdown tomorrow - up to 5 more BH and 4 more Naked Neck chicks may hatch around Aug 8 or 9! I'm getting a second brooder box ready today and I plan to combine these hatches in one brooder as soon as possible.
20210804_083105.jpg

They are doing great! 1 male and 1 female Barred Holland (you can tell from spot on head) and the Naked Neck/Wyandotte- we will have to wait and see what it turns out to be. Next batch goes on lockdown tomorrow - up to 5 more BH and 4 more Naked Neck chicks may hatch around Aug 8 or 9! I'm getting a second brooder box ready today and I plan to combine these hatches in one brooder as soon as possible.
View attachment 2785521
They seem to be doing good and growing!

How can you tell male from female by the spot on the head?
That is thier sex link trait (or maybe auto sexing trait - can't remember correct term right now). You can tell Barred Holland chicks close to right after hatching. @Parront chose the ones easiest to sex by color for me to breed when I got them from her at 1 month old. The males are lighter colored with more prevalent baring than females.

I didn't know they had a spot on their head to tell until I hatched them out myself. They weren't as easy to tell when Parront received the original chicks.

And get rich by auctioning it off? :lau
Even with this one,, I'm only RICH by name. :idunno :gig
I have a pterodactyl pet, but only one, a hen. Trying to cross with my rooster,,, but no success yet.
chicken.jpg
roster teeth.jpeg

I always have too much ham when I bake one up, so this would be a good way to deal with all of that extra meat to use up later.
When we HAM out,,,, we freeze the leftover, in individual baggies, and use as needed in smaller quantities..:drool:drool:drool,,, Just checked,,:frow, no ham left:(
Plus, if there was a quality problem, where the jar/lid/ring didn't seal perfectly, how would you know?
From what I read,,, the quality problem was associated with the glass breaking, in the newer jars. (during the boiling to seal process) Peeps using very old jars (grandmas stash) just kept using over, and over with good results. Not sure if it is due to the glass composition, or just thin glass. :idunno This info came from reading the gardening thread, during the canning season. (last year)

From what I read,,, the quality problem was associated with the glass breaking, in the newer jars. (during the boiling to seal process) Peeps using very old jars (grandmas stash) just kept using over, and over with good results. Not sure if it is due to the glass composition, or just thin glass. :idunno This info came from reading the gardening thread, during the canning season. (last year)
It's most likely due to using thinner glass with everyone trying to get by cheaper with having to use less of everything. Less is not always best.

Back
Top Bottom