Arizona Chickens

I trim wings on the Leghorns and they can still fly over the 4' fence and up to the 5' perch.
Just some of my thoughts.
If you trim just one feather, and sufficiently enough, the chicken will not be able to maintain flight balance, and not fly successfully.

5 foot perch is somewhat high. OK for small banties that fly like pigeons,,,,,,,, but not ideal for full size chickens,
REASON; a landing from such heights first thing in the morning can (I did not say will) cause injuries, including such that can lead to bumble-foot due to cuts/breaks/injuries on bottom of foot.

Just some of my thoughts.
If you trim just one feather, and sufficiently enough, the chicken will not be able to maintain flight balance, and not fly successfully.

5 foot perch is somewhat high. OK for small banties that fly like pigeons,,,,,,,, but not ideal for full size chickens,
REASON; a landing from such heights first thing in the morning can (I did not say will) cause injuries, including such that can lead to bumble-foot due to cuts/breaks/injuries on bottom of foot.
The height is convenient because of the way the house is built. I wish it was lower so I would not brain myself on it! They all get up great, the White Rocks like to land in a certain place that gives them a longer glide path. The big NN meat mix bird does fine, too. The floor is dirt & covered with straw and wood chips, no hurt feet yet.:fl
I trimmed the Leghorns because I did not want them up in our cedar trees. They do not know that they can get that high since I trimmed them when they were young. The last Brown Leghorns I had learned they could fly high, and trimming did not stop them, they just worked harder to get up on the high branches. They became yard birds, would not go in the coop. I learned to treat them they way some people treat their parrots, trim before they are good flyers. They never get good at it. I trim all flight feathers on one wing down to the secondary feathers.

The wind has picked up and the cloud's just south of me look strange. I heard thunder earlier, but no rain here yet.
The clouds looked pretty bright here, so I took a picture. Naturally, the picture isn't nearly as colorful as it was in real life. Lots of lightning to the east, hopefully it doesn't start any fires.
20210806_191841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom