Arizona Chickens

It makes me want to buy an incubator! Two things: 1) interesting that they moved the incubator (essentially) to the brooder environment at the start of lock down, rather than moving them to the brooder (barn) after hatch. 2) the hatchery birds in the study only traveled from 5-25 hours---the typical here is 40 hours, and up to 48 (longer, but you get dead chicks). So the weight loss and stress would be much worse after the typical 40 hours rather than 5-25 hours as studied. I don't know, but I'd expect the death rate, disease, etc to go up exponentially as time progressed.
I hatch and brood mine in the house. I have the incubator sitting on top of my brooder, so that I don't have to move them far at all.

I found this study interesting, and it makes me sort of glad that I don't buy mine from hatcheries.

Hatching broilers in stables rather than in hatcheries increases animal welfare https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...r-than-in-hatcheries-increases-animal-welfare

The stress of shipping is harmful to chicks. These broiler chicks are even more fragile than our dual-purpose breeds. They want maximum growth, it ought to pay them not to stress the chicks, even a couple of days faster to processing weight with fewer deaths would give these companies a better profit. Out of my shipped ducklings, 17 shipped, 11 survived the first 3 days. It was hot last August! Hatched at home ducklings, 11 hatched, 11 lived.

This is what I saw this morning - 3 hatched before 9am - 1 more starting - 5 no sign of hatch yet.

Attachments

• 20210809_095329.jpg
    20210809_095329.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom