Arizona Chickens

It's Day 8 and I just candled the eggs. There are 21 eggs in the incubator, which is about a week's worth of eggs from the 3 Leghorn hens. Out of those, 7 had something in them, and 3 of those 7 were iffy. They may be blood lines rather than veins. One of the 4 that remain if you don't count the iffy ones has two dark spots with veins coming out of those spots. That egg might be a double yolk one. The girls started out laying lots of double yolked eggs, but lately they've pretty much gotten away from that. They still do one sometimes. So 3 are looking good.
I hope that you have a better hatch this time. Those dog's of your's are going to like that meat off of any boy's. Don't let them see you cull them when it's time. You don't want them to think it's ok to do it if you did.

Yep, and they will be asking you why you left them in the sauna. :lau
Both of the NN chicks are all completely yellow with yellow skin as far as I can tell - the last one I was wondering where the toenails were they are so white! I left her and latest BH in the incubator overnite because I didn't know if she had toenails and seemed to not be walking well. This morning I see her tiny toenails! I was just impatient and she was just too tired from hatching to walk much

Both of the NN chicks are all completely yellow with yellow skin as far as I can tell - the last one I was wondering where the toenails were they are so white! I left her and latest BH in the incubator overnite because I didn't know if she had toenails and seemed to not be walking well. This morning I see her tiny toenails! I was just impatient and she was just too tired from hatching to walk much
I'm glad that you are hatching like that. I heard that the Post Office is planning on slowing down the mail, and in raising the cost of stamps again this fall. At least hatching your own you don't have to worry if the Post Office will get your chick's to you in time to be healthy.

I'm glad that you are hatching like that. I heard that the Post Office is planning on slowing down the mail, and in raising the cost of stamps again this fall. At least hatching your own you don't have to worry if the Post Office will get your chick's to you in time to be healthy.
yes i guess our choices are to hatch your own/buy local, set up your own logistics company like TSC, or hope for the best... I can't imagine waking up to see the baby chick staring at you like that!

yes i guess our choices are to hatch your own/buy local, set up your own logistics company like TSC, or hope for the best... I can't imagine waking up to see the baby chick staring at you like that!
They look so sweet, and you get to be the first one that handles them. And you are able to make sure that they are well taken care of right from the time that they exit their shell's.

They look so sweet, and you get to be the first one that handles them. And you are able to make sure that they are well taken care of right from the time that they exit their shell's.
Yes my goal for this year was to learn how to hatch - and the goal behind hatching is to be more sustainable and less reliant on big hatcheries - and even more - to have a dual-purpose flock more adapted to AZ. I'm learning so much & moving towards those goals with great advice, help and getting some of my local chickens from you all here. And all this keeps me outa trouble and off the streets...LOL!

Yes my goal for this year was to learn how to hatch - and the goal behind hatching is to be more sustainable and less reliant on big hatcheries - and even more - to have a dual-purpose flock more adapted to AZ. I'm learning so much & moving towards those goals with great advice, help and getting some of my local chickens from you all here. And all this keeps me outa trouble and off the streets...LOL!
Yes, we wouldn't want you on the street's getting yourself into trouble, now would we? :lau

Back
Top Bottom