Arizona Chickens

How long have you all stored eggs at room temp before determining they are too old to eat?
If I break it open and it's gooey or dryer than normal I put it in the compost or bury it under a plant or tree.

You can do the float test - if it floats it's older (idicates loss of water so more air pocket=floater). It may still be good to hardboil - but I would use sinkers to cook with.

Time depends on your environment/humidity/temp you store at, etc.

We have all our babies now. Yay. 6 little ones. Two Barred rocks, buff Orpington, lavender Orpington, and two Easter eggers. Went with all German names: Matilda, Zelda, Astrid, Petra, Ilsa, Hilda
Congratulations! Love the names ❤
How long have you all stored eggs at room temp before determining they are too old to eat?
I actually don't store mine at room temperature at all. I brush them off and put them straight in the fridge. I have a big plastic egg rack that the freshest eggs go into (holds 30 eggs I think) and an ice bin that they get moved to when the racks full. We eat from the bin and if the rack fills again before we empty the bin, then I cook em up or freeze them. I only keep the clean eggs...the dirty eggs I feed to the animals.

Well, the 2 four week old Bielefelder pullet's in the grow-out pen seem to be doing ok. Yesterday I seen them both eating and drinking out of the bowl's, so they have discovered those. I seen one of them taking a dirt bath too.

@CaroleW How is the Bielefelder cockerel doing up there now that he's not having to play 2nd fiddle to my boy?

Congratulations! Love the names ❤

I actually don't store mine at room temperature at all. I brush them off and put them straight in the fridge. I have a big plastic egg rack that the freshest eggs go into (holds 30 eggs I think) and an ice bin that they get moved to when the racks full. We eat from the bin and if the rack fills again before we empty the bin, then I cook em up or freeze them. I only keep the clean eggs...the dirty eggs I feed to the animals.
And I put them straight into the fridge. If any have poop, I put them on top of the cartons and then wash them before using. That way they're colder than the water I wash them with, which prevents any germs from being driven into and through the shell during washing.

My 1.5 month old pullets stayed in their outside coop last night for the first time. I felt bad bc they seemed so scared after dark but I got up this morning (after a few check-ins overnight of course), and all was well. One of the times I went out to check on them, they all flew up into my lap & cuddled up. It was sweet but I had to put them down & go back inside. My husband laughed and said "they are definitely YOUR chickens" lol. I admit it's true. Do I love my chickens too much? :hmm🤣

Well, the 2 four week old Bielefelder pullet's in the grow-out pen seem to be doing ok. Yesterday I seen them both eating and drinking out of the bowl's, so they have discovered those. I seen one of them taking a dirt bath too.

@CaroleW How is the Bielefelder cockerel doing up there now that he's not having to play 2nd fiddle to my boy?
He's still getting used to that - He gets a little hen pecked ...LOL. I think when I have to put a few more hens in there or next door the hen dynamics will change so we'll see.

I'm surprised he likes to get up about 3' high on the roost out in the run (probably after he saw his neighbor roo do it). He was even eyeing a corner brace overhead- I need to move that down because it is too near the overhead aviary netting. He's too big to go that high IMO!

He's still getting used to that - He gets a little hen pecked ...LOL. I think when I have to put a few more hens in there or next door the hen dynamics will change so we'll see.

I'm surprised he likes to get up about 3' high on the roost out in the run (probably after he saw his neighbor roo do it). He was even eyeing a corner brace overhead- I need to move that down because it is too near the overhead aviary netting. He's too big to go that high IMO!
Yes, they are supposed to grow into some big boy's, but are not human-aggressive. He should do well for you.

Back
Top Bottom