Arizona Chickens

I moved the chick's that I had in the brooder outside to the grow out pen yesterday. Here's my wild bunch 6 pack. They were full of energy in the brooder hopping and jumping all over in there and even hitting the heat lamp. I took this picture of them this morning. They are watching the hen that is on the outside of their grow out pen.

View attachment 3445137
I was going to start making a grow out pen. When your new chicks are ready to integrate, does your pen have an opening you uncover that allows them to go in and out but is too small for the full-growns to go in?

I was going to start making a grow out pen. When your new chicks are ready to integrate, does your pen have an opening you uncover that allows them to go in and out but is too small for the full-growns to go in?
I've just been waiting until I think that they are big enough to handle themselves. You'd be surprised at how fast they are.

I had to go feed the animals next door again today as his job has him working over on the reservation in San Carlos and he thinks he has to stay there overnight.

Aah. So when the time comes, you just let them out with the others? I had read somewhere of people having it set so the little ones can squeeze back into their enclosure to get away from the bigs.
Yes, some people do it that way too. I guess it's just whatever works best for each person.

Sure will be nice to have some days in the 70s. I am so over the 60s and below. Been getting my starter plants planted in the garden beds. Ordered new shade cloth and tarps for the run. Need to get some dirt from the run for the little chicks to play in.

Here are my cuties... just because who doesn't like to see adorable chicks. :love

View attachment 3445937
😍😍😍😍
Anyone ever have their rooster hop up to the nestbox? Lucky has been eyeing the box. Just now he hopped up there where his favorite gal is trying to lay. He's all the way in the box! Lol!
They are making soft clucky noises now & then. :idunno
I have roos do that too...like @BlueBaby said, just roos being good boys.
I use escape doors. My grow out pens all either lift up on one edge to let the babies come and go or have a door too small for adults. I usually keep the babies secured for a week first before I give them access to the adult area too. I like doing it that way...reduces the stress on the babies I think.

😍😍😍😍

I have roos do that too...like @BlueBaby said, just roos being good boys.

I use escape doors. My grow out pens all either lift up on one edge to let the babies come and go or have a door too small for adults. I usually keep the babies secured for a week first before I give them access to the adult area too. I like doing it that way...reduces the stress on the babies I think.
Yes, as none of us all have the same type of setups, you just figure out what will work best for you and the setup that you have.

Well,,,, I do need to brag a lil..:old My Banties switched into high gear recently. Not sure if pix of the Colonel in their clear viewing sight had anything to do with it.:idunno:gig:lau
This was a 2 days' worth. (5 bantams) The large egg on right is from my LF. I have 3, but one is going to be 11 year old pretty soon. Other 2 are not very young ether. I think 4 and 6, but I could be off by a year:idunno
I did not get them NEW, so going by what was said at time of acquisition,,,, Plus time with me. Only the 11 year old, I got as a chick. It was April 20th. so that translates to 4:20. I named her Mary Jane. :frow You figure out the rest:gig
IMG_20230327_153606413.jpg

So,,, it is Easter time, and these marshmallow eggs are all over the stores. After we consumed one dozen from first carton,, I see that I can repurpose those cartons for bantam eggs.
IMG_20230328_184216940.jpg

Large eggs would not fit into those small cartons.
Below are some of my eggs. The cartons are from store purchased eggs. I save them,, so that when I get extra eggs/more than what we can use,,,,,, I give away.
Over winter, my girls were on strike. I think from about October. Labor dispute was settled when days started getting longer, and warmer. We did accumulate quite a number of empty cartons over winter.
IMG_20230328_184602194.jpg

Back
Top Bottom