Arizona Chickens

Gave the flock ice water with a few frozen blueberries & chia seeds.

Attachments

• 20230523_135323.jpg
    20230523_135323.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 5
Good morning peeps.. hope you all are doing well?
LIFE ON THE FARM..
The place where we got the leghorn chicks said they will take him back. I did call and they said they will find him a home, so of course we all know that means, nothing. While I am not against someone processing him, but the thought of the worst... like using him for fighting upsets me.. I or any of my family won't do the knife, I love them all too much, but having a cockerel is too much work. I do have a friend that will do the knife, but know how busy she is. What do you all do with your extra boys?

LIFE ON THE FARM..
The place where we got the leghorn chicks said they will take him back. I did call and they said they will find him a home, so of course we all know that means, nothing. While I am not against someone processing him, but the thought of the worst... like using him for fighting upsets me.. I or any of my family won't do the knife, I love them all too much, but having a cockerel is too much work. I do have a friend that will do the knife, but know how busy she is. What do you all do with your extra boys?
I have a bachelor pen with 3 in it now. Sometimes they get a job scratching over garden beds in a chicken tractor or similar moveable pen. I do the knife when necessary and know that all my poultry have the best life and fulfill a purpose, better than most roosters that don't live a day.

LIFE ON THE FARM..
I have someone in Benson that processes my boys. They are amazing. It's a family run business and they are always so respectful knowing that i love my chickens so dang much. They always save feathers for me and make sure that their insides are processed properly for the dog that lives here or the cats. They pack them up in ice bags and make sure I don't see them unless I want to. Then they show me how big the bird was and tell me that I have done an amazing job raising up a good bird to eat ;-;. I can't praise them enough! I honestly love going to them and seeing them even if it's on a bad day. They also euthanize my babies that need euthanized and give them a proper send off. My last girls that I had to euthanize were placed in the box I donated to them that was torn up from when the dog went in and killed a batch of my chicks. They used them as fertilizer for their flowers so their life went on in flowers. They are so considerate that when I bring my daughter along to drop the birds off they show her the flower beds where her girls were laid to rest and give her hugs if she starts to cry.

Has anyone here ever tried to integrate duckling to adult duck's? The 3 duckling's seem to be growing faster then the chick's are, and I will need more room for the chick's in there soon, if they are not sold. My next door neighbor has a group of one female and two males of this same breed, but these 3 duckling's do not belong to them. The duck hen has been broody, but never seems to hatch any.

LIFE ON THE FARM..
I give away or sell as many as I can. I also have a bachelor pen and also go the knife route with the rare bad roo or ones I just can't find another option for.
Has anyone here ever tried to integrate duckling to adult duck's? The 3 duckling's seem to be growing faster then the chick's are, and I will need more room for the chick's in there soon, if they are not sold. My next door neighbor has a group of one female and two males of this same breed, but these 3 duckling's do not belong to them. The duck hen has been broody, but never seems to hatch any.
I have. I use a fenced off space inside the duck pen just like I do for chickens. The only difference is the ducks integration pen doesn't need a roof and can be stepped over. Add the young ones to the fenced area and let them see but not touch for a week or two. I have one drake that always has to be removed before I let them all mingle. He gets turned loose in the garden for the first week of mingling and then added back with the others...then removed, added back over and over until he stops being aggressive. It's easier to integrate my ducks when it's not breeding season, but I've had good results for all but one timid girl that my senior girl just won't accept for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom