Arizona Chickens

I give away or sell as many as I can. I also have a bachelor pen and also go the knife route with the rare bad roo or ones I just can't find another option for.

I have. I use a fenced off space inside the duck pen just like I do for chickens. The only difference is the ducks integration pen doesn't need a roof and can be stepped over. Add the young ones to the fenced area and let them see but not touch for a week or two. I have one drake that always has to be removed before I let them all mingle. He gets turned loose in the garden for the first week of mingling and then added back with the others...then removed, added back over and over until he stops being aggressive. It's easier to integrate my ducks when it's not breeding season, but I've had good results for all but one timid girl that my senior girl just won't accept for some reason.
I also try to do that with my extra boy's, but these Biel boy's seem to be able to be good with each other. I do try to rehome these extra Biel boy's, at least the one's that I don't want to keep for my own breeding. Some people would like a rooster but don't want one that will be aggressive, so this breed is a good one for that. I have eaten bad boy's before when I was doing other breed's.

Thanks' for your duck advice in case that I have to go that route.

With monsoon season around the corner, does anyone know if those Sonoran Desert Toads are dangerous to chickens? (I know our neighbors lost one of their dogs to one. )
I really don't know. I know we have a bunch of those over here that live under our big shed. They come out at night during the monsoon and eat the bugs that are attracted to the yard light above it. They eat their weight in bugs every night. I don't know if they wonder over by the coop or not, since they seem to only come out during the time after the flock is already roosting for the night.

I read that one! I was shocked!
Yes, they sure have their hand's full, but no fresh egg's at all now. They have those Buff Orpington's and Black Australorp's that are known for being broody breed's. Then when broody season is over, they will all be molting as they are at least a year old now. I don't envy that person at all.

Yes, they sure have their hand's full, but no fresh egg's at all now. They have those Buff Orpington's and Black Australorp's that are known for being broody breed's. Then when broody season is over, they will all be molting as they are at least a year old now. I don't envy that person at all.
My BO's haven't acted broody at all :eek: They want nothing to do with chicks either! So when I read how many people's get all broody I think there is something wrong with mine LOL.

My BO's haven't acted broody at all :eek: They want nothing to do with chicks either! So when I read how many people's get all broody I think there is something wrong with mine LOL.
It could be in how they were bred where they came from. Different people breed for different thing's.

With monsoon season around the corner, does anyone know if those Sonoran Desert Toads are dangerous to chickens? (I know our neighbors lost one of their dogs to one. )
We have tons of toads here but the same experience as Bluebaby. The toads come out late enough that we've never had a problem. Think the toads are big enough in general that the chickens ignore them too.

We had some tadpoles born in our wash one year though and my youngest decided to save them by putting them into our pond. The goldfish ate them and died. So my guess is they're poisonous period and if you have anywhere they hatch out, you might want to keep your chickens away from there. Betting tadpoles would look yummy to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom