Arizona Chickens

We were talking about that. It's possible one was as it looks quite old but the others are much newer. We know one was built within the last three years because it's on our regular dog walking route. It's under a large tree so that might help conceal it somewhat.
Maybe that's why. I hope nobody gets upset and reports it. That could mean a problem for them maybe.

My female duck finally layed her first egg today. I was wondering if she was ever going to lay. I just got done scrambling up 10 eggs and mixed in some wet feed for them all.

I had an HOA up north, most communities created in this state have them, at least for a while. In cordes lakes, the HOA is defunct. In spring valley, it is alive and well---but whenever someone has a complaint, like noise, weeds, etc, the HOA web site tells them to call the county. in other words, the HOA has no teeth, no ability to lien your property etc. Your roommate should have been given the CC&Rs when she bought the place. You can also look them up through the parcel web site, clicking through to recorded documents for your address (usually).

She bought the house the 1980s. The not-an-HOA was only created about ten years ago. Since it's not actually an HOA, there are no CC&Rs. They get around all that by not calling it an HOA. The city enforces it.

Congratulations! What kind of duck is she?

She's a Welsh Harlequin. I named her Miss Gabby Quack-Quack.

Edited to mention just now. All 3 duck's are now gone to a new home that has other duck's there. They will have more room there too, so they should be happier.

Last edited:
Does anyone use a coop/brooder camera? I need to monitor a brooder from about 25' away. I am looking for:
  • continuous live stream in color that I can watch on my computer monitor (not phone)
  • sound
  • overnight recording
  • local storage (not cloud)
  • weatherproof
  • color night vision
  • no glow (no red light indicating it's operating)
  • no spotlight
  • no alarm
Which model do you use? What do you like/dislike about it?

I asked in Raising Baby Chicks but I thought I might as well ask here, too, especially given our weather extremes.

Last edited:
Does anyone use a coop/brooder camera? I need to monitor a brooder from about 25' away. I am looking for:
  • continuous live stream in color that I can watch on my computer monitor (not phone)
  • sound
  • overnight recording
  • weatherproof
  • color night vision
  • no spotlight
  • no alarm

I asked in Raising Baby Chicks but I thought I might as well ask here, too, especially given our weather extremes.
I used to use a baby monitor to make sure the chicks were OK. It had two pieces: the part that goes in the coop and the part the parent has, which had a small screen. It was in black and white, but was more than adequate to make sure the babies were doing well. For overnight I kept the parent part near the bed and turned the mic up enough that I'd hear a shriek but not every little peep. It had its own wi-fi so no need for any app, computer etc, it was all self contained. It did not "store" the footage though, it was just to monitor in real time to see if I needed to run to the coop for any reason. And since it was in the coop, it need not be weather proof. It plugged into the same power strip that the brooder heater/bulb did. I'd spray it with DIY rodent repellant though--else you might have to splice the wires like I did.

• sound
  • overnight recording
  • weatherproof
  • color night vision
  • no spotlight
  • no alarm

I know a few people that use them...I got all excited and wanted some too 😂. But...then I learned the cameras require a subscription fee to work and I lost interest :idunno . I tried for a while to find one that didn't require a fee and Wyze cameras are supposedly fee free starting this year. I haven't gotten around to re-looking at them yet...but those might be worth checking out.

We've had a steady drizzly rain for about an hour, plus some thunder and lightning! That's unusual for February. We actually had the power go out for about 20 minutes apparently due to a nearby lightning strike. Power outages are rare here.

Is anyone else getting some of this glorious rain?

We've had a steady drizzly rain for about an hour, plus some thunder and lightning! That's unusual for February. We actually had the power go out for about 20 minutes apparently due to a nearby lightning strike. Power outages are rare here.

Is anyone else getting some of this glorious rain?
I'm not getting any rain right now, but it's pretty cloudy. I'm enjoying the cooler weather while we still have it. It's nice to not have to run the air-conditioning or heater during the daytime.

Back
Top Bottom