Arizona Chickens

Duncan Az here,
looks like theres more arizonians now than ever!
howdy to you all.
i am a FFA poultry coach for the duncan high school and 4-H leader for the greenlee county poultry project.
i am taking my FFA group to the poultry nationals in indianapolis in october.

i raise large fowl black australorps also black, blue, and splash orpingtons.

great to meet you all and good luck at all the fairs and shows!

Quote:
The chicks were hatched on Monday and arrived early Tuesday morning, so they weren't being shipped in the hottest part of the day. It also helped that in the summer the Post Office doesn't deliver chicks, so I had to go pick them up. And yes, the Post Office now has A/C.
smile.png

Quote:
yep, used to breed the brownreds, blacks,birchens, when my kids were little. great birds for them to handle!

where abouts in tucson?
do you know leon ewer or robert kennedy?

they usually put on the big show in november at the pima fairgrounds.

Quote:
yep, used to breed the brownreds, blacks,birchens, when my kids were little. great birds for them to handle!

where abouts in tucson?

We live in NW Tucson, and my DS is 12, so his MGBs, and OEGBs fit perfectly in his hand for showmanship. He has brown-reds and birchens.
He would like to get a trio of dutch, but the person who he was going to get them from, lost about 50 birds this summer, from the heat. So, hopefully he'll find some before the ownership deadlines for the fair.

I know both Leon and Robert. I am a member of the poultry club, and I will be at the November show, which will be dedicated to the memory of Leon, who passed away a few weeks ago.

We will also be having a lawn show on October 18, at Brandy Fenton Memorial park, in Tucson, if anyone is interested in attending. Once I get all the details, I will post them.

Hi All!

It's awesome how many of us are on here from AZ! It keeps growing everytime I check the thread.

I was wondering if anyone has these types of hatching eggs available near Phoenix or Tucson. I'm in Casa Grande, which is about half way between both cities. Anyway, I'm looking for Welsummer, Standard Cochin, Speckeled Sussex, White Plymouth Rock, RIR and Blue Egg Ameracauna eggs. I am willing to travel, but I just don't want to buy shipped eggs anymore. It's too rough on them and I don't get good hatch rates! Plus, I would like to support my fellow Arizonans! If you have any of these pure breed eggs, shoot me a PM and lets see if we can work something out.

Thanks! And stay cool, it's supposed to be a hot one tomorrow!

Did anyone get a letter talking about a proposed new law that will make it legal to have a horse in a small yard, but make chickens illegal?!? My Father-In-Law received one and is going to get me a copy today.. once I get it I'll post specifics here.

I cannot find any information about it online, but I'm concerned!

I have 2 EE, Chicklette who gives me pink eggs and Cleo who gives me blue eggs. 3 RIR's Janis, Tina and Peaches who give me pretty brown eggs, in different shades. Willy Boy, Silkie Lace Bantam and his son Mr Peep. I would love to get 2 more pullets, Cochin I hope to get. I'm having a hard time trying to decide on color. I also have a Basset Hound Dog, Abby, a Rhodesia Ridgeback Saluki mix, Bear and a Kitten Archie. That takes care of my critters.
caf.gif
Kids all grown and gone. Single. Loving life being Retired.

What kind are you raising Huppfarm

Last edited:
Quote:

where abouts in tucson?

We live in NW Tucson, and my DS is 12, so his MGBs, and OEGBs fit perfectly in his hand for showmanship. He has brown-reds and birchens.
He would like to get a trio of dutch, but the person who he was going to get them from, lost about 50 birds this summer, from the heat. So, hopefully he'll find some before the ownership deadlines for the fair.

I know both Leon and Robert. I am a member of the poultry club, and I will be at the November show, which will be dedicated to the memory of Leon, who passed away a few weeks ago.

We will also be having a lawn show on October 18, at Brandy Fenton Memorial park, in Tucson, if anyone is interested in attending. Once I get all the details, I will post them.

wow! that is truely a big bummer:(
i knew he was feeling poorly when i saw him last, he was a great friend and teacher, he will be remembered and missed.

im glad i knew him and his family.

Oh boy, if ever I needed your input and advice, the time is now! I just went outside to take the garbage out and decided to flash a light in on my chickens roosting in the coop and couldn't help but notice the ground looked as if it was moving! Kind of like the snakes inside the tomb on Indian Jones, except I don't have snakes I have crickets! I have learned to have a deep hatred towards those dang insects!!!

What is so frustrating is that I thought with the addition of my 4 chicks my pest situation would be significantly reduced with my little feathered friends patrolling the boundaries. However, I have since learned that chickens don't exactly see too well at night which doesn't exactly help their cause in taking care of our cricket problem.

About the coop situation...I have been using the deep litter method and dump a steady dose of DE into the coop when I add a new layer of pine shavings. The coop is totally dark at night too. I actually tried to shine my flash light on the crickets and force the head of one my chicks toward several of the crickets, but could not get her to go after any of them. My chickens are about 100 days old and the only thing I can think to do is to run an extension cord out there and hang a light to perhaps provide enough light to help the chickens devour the little beasts!

I'm open to any and ALL suggestions as I know the crickets reproduce like crazy and if there are 100 inside the coop there are 1,000 outside the coop trying to get inside my house. As always, thanks so much in advance for your attention and help to my problem.

Back
Top Bottom