Arizona Chickens

Watching "Chop", and they have silkie chickens. All I could think of is little fluff balls of attitude. I still love to chicken, the black chicken as well. But! :he darn, why do they have to be such sweet and cute chickens. :lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF MY AZ PEEPS!
9.gif
7.gif
8.gif

Is there any way of telling what hen is laying?

one way is to pick them up and see how many fingers fit in the space between the pelvic bones (right over the vent). Depending somewhat on the size of the bird, 2 fingers or less, not laying. more than two fingers probably laying. Also combined with color of comb and wattles, pullets will be really bright red, fading slowly. Old hens not laying will have dull, pale color which usually reddens up some when they resume laying after molting, but doesn't usually get as red as when they were pullets. Again, lots of variations according to age, breed and individuals. So good to hang out and watch them and get to know your birds. Catching them on the nest and finding a warm egg afterwards is pretty sure fire though.

its midnight and my hens are out there flapping around the run and i'm not sure why.
their coop is inside a fully enclosed run and they for some reason like to roost on TOP of it, instead of inside it... how do i break that habit? its such a pain to clean that roof off all the time when they have deep litter in the coop! sigh, the newer batch of pullets are inside, but the original 5 are stubborn and probably cold.
any ideas?
Mine did the same thing during the summer. I have an enclosed run. I now have it blocked. I just put the back of pine chips up there along with other stuff. I got tired of moving them one by one into the coop. I took round fat poles to tie trees down and used them as roosts in my run. I have them at different heights. I took big S hooks for hanging plants from the garden centers at home depot or Lowes to hang some of the poles off the side of my run at some of the angles of the cage. They sleep there now. I have a tarp covering them on top and I hang a heat lamp just in case because it is getting so cold. I also have some plastic on one side wall to shelter the area from the rain blowing sideways. They like being out in the open run at night for some reason. They only go in the coop if it thunders...LOL and to lay eggs. This will be better for the heat also. I can have a fan blowing on them at night when they sleep, it will be cooler. I hope this will be their new permanent spot.

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing during the summer. I have an enclosed run. I now have it blocked. I just put the back of pine chips up there along with other stuff. I got tired of moving them one by one into the coop.  I took round fat poles to tie trees down and used them as roosts in my run. I have them at different heights. I took big S hooks for hanging plants from the garden centers at home depot or Lowes to hang some of the poles off the side of my run at some of the angles of the cage. They sleep there now. I have a tarp covering them on top and I hang a heat lamp just in case because it is getting so cold. I also have some plastic on one side wall to shelter the area from the rain blowing sideways. They like being out in the open run at night for some reason. They only go in the coop if it thunders...LOL and to lay eggs. This will be better for the heat also. I can have a fan blowing on them at night when they sleep, it will be cooler. I hope this will be their new permanent spot.
Yeah I like that to, can u show us?. I do think it will be to hot in the coop during the summer.

SILKIE CHICK CLEARANCE..

PLease I need these guys gone ASAP. TONS of babies from hatch to 2 months oldish. BUy 2 get one free or buy 5 at $5ea get 2 free. ANYTHING>>> please. I even have tons of eggs in my bator. 1st person to come get the eggs gets them for free. I have at least 20 eggs in the bator. Eggs hatch date are from now till 1 week. I even have adult pairs & trios I am willing to trade. Please PM if you are interested. TOP lines from several breeders here on BYC.. Colors could include, frizzled, paint, white, blue, black, splash, cuckoo, partridge in many shades.

Thanks

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! OOPS!!! They did it again!!!!
5 new baby red ear sliders will be looking for new homes about mid January. Available only to the knowledgeable and fully informed on proper care. PM me if interested. Thanks. My last batch all found good homes from fellow BYC'ers.

We picked up three silkies from BeeHappy4Ever tonight. My wife picked out a Splash and a White. Her best friend picked out a partridge as hers, that we will raise "indefinitely." It's pretty interesting, considering she wouldn't go near the first batch of girls we got. My how she's changed her tune. She was even snuggling with Partridge after we got home. Yes, yes, chickens can capture the heart.
The white Silkie is named Snowflake, while the other two are aptly named Partridge and Splash. My family will have to get a bit more creative down the road...
Thanks for the offer PastryMama and sending me to BeeHappy. Thank you BeeHappy! Now to get a three or four month old Black Copper Maran. The final addition to my flock... Boston doesn't have any at the moment. All with time, I guess...
My wife's best friend, Ree, and "her" Partridge.
ejuqapuh.jpg

sybe7y5e.jpg

dy5u8usa.jpg

zuguneta.jpg
Redo, the last quote I sent regarding honey was meant for you guys.
Let me know if you are ready to get honey??

I am so happy you guys got sillies!! Maybe when your hens go broody I can give you some fertile eggs?
Happy New Years!!

Back
Top Bottom