Arizona Chickens

I'm using the compressed pellets for brooder bedding. I've been really pleased--no stink. I was planning on using pine shavings, but the people at AZ Feed recommended the compressed pellets. That's what was in their big stock tank brooders, and the dozens and dozens of chicks looked happy and healthy and definitely not stinky at all. If the pellets are moistened just a tiny bit, they do turn into fluffy sawdust, which seems much more baby-friendly (though I didn't moisten and the chicks don't seem to mind...the poop and such tends to fluff up the pellets anyway).

My coop has been a long process. I am still not quite friggin done. Word of advice...when your partner says he doesn't want chickens and won't help you build a coop, take his/her word on it. I could barely use a power drill when I started, but I can say with confidence that I can drill, learned how to use a table saw and a plethora of other kinds of saws (ok, so maybe I don't know the names of all the tools I can now use, but I know how they work!), can cut angles on wood, put on a metal roof, finally figured out how to measure out 5/8". It's been a good experience, though I honestly, foolishly, thought I could power out this thing in one weekend! Hahahahaha.

I did build a little 3x2' garden box on top of my 3x3x4' run extension. Probably won't last too long, though I've sealed it up fairly well. The way the sun angles in the afternoon, the box provides hardly any shade. But, it'll look nice filled with flowers and edibles! And that hints at the huge problem with the location of the coop. It's behind a shed, on the north side of my lot. So, it gets quite a bit of shade until about 2pm-ish, and then gets hit full on till the sun sets. I need a fast growing shade tree, asap. I've got some grape vines to plant around the coop/run, and I'll have to put up some shade cloth, I think.

I'm using the compressed pellets for brooder bedding. I've been really pleased--no stink. I was planning on using pine shavings, but the people at AZ Feed recommended the compressed pellets. That's what was in their big stock tank brooders, and the dozens and dozens of chicks looked happy and healthy and definitely not stinky at all. If the pellets are moistened just a tiny bit, they do turn into fluffy sawdust, which seems much more baby-friendly (though I didn't moisten and the chicks don't seem to mind...the poop and such tends to fluff up the pellets anyway).

My coop has been a long process. I am still not quite friggin done. Word of advice...when your partner says he doesn't want chickens and won't help you build a coop, take his/her word on it. I could barely use a power drill when I started, but I can say with confidence that I can drill, learned how to use a table saw and a plethora of other kinds of saws (ok, so maybe I don't know the names of all the tools I can now use, but I know how they work!), can cut angles on wood, put on a metal roof, finally figured out how to measure out 5/8". It's been a good experience, though I honestly, foolishly, thought I could power out this thing in one weekend! Hahahahaha.

I did build a little 3x2' garden box on top of my 3x3x4' run extension. Probably won't last too long, though I've sealed it up fairly well. The way the sun angles in the afternoon, the box provides hardly any shade. But, it'll look nice filled with flowers and edibles! And that hints at the huge problem with the location of the coop. It's behind a shed, on the north side of my lot. So, it gets quite a bit of shade until about 2pm-ish, and then gets hit full on till the sun sets. I need a fast growing shade tree, asap. I've got some grape vines to plant around the coop/run, and I'll have to put up some shade cloth, I think.

I'll have to check out those pressed pellets, everybody is saying such good things about it, I hadn't ever even seen it. Thanks for the idea guys!

You know, my husband originally said he didn't want chickens at all. He was really annoyed with me at first. But he got into it pretty quickly. And he, thankfully, did the vast majority of the work on the coop. He enjoyed the building of it and said it was fun. But man, it does take way longer than you'd think.

Anyway, I just thought I'd respond with regards to your sun issue. In our coop video you can see that aluminum shade cloth that I used for the west side of the coop. We have the same issue otherwise, during the heat of the day they have shade from the roof, but they totally lose the roof shade later in the day. The aluminet help tremendously. It's actually really pleasant in there with that covering the west side. And they still get a bit of light and the breeze, but it blocks out most of the light and heat. They have different prefab sizes to choose from, and the price seemed comparable with other shade cloths. You can also get custom sizes cut on this site too, I'd recommend it. I have the 70% density aluminet, there are lower densities too, but obviously you'd probably want the highest for your purposes.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/70-percent-aluminet-shade-curtain/shade-cloth

So we have chirping in the incubator and 3 eggs have little holes and I see lots of rocking. From your experience with incubators wbout how long from chirping to hatch or from the first hole to hatch...I know there are lots of variations but I have a class full of kids watching and I want some ideas about what you have seen.

I will definitly say I like it better to have a broody hatch them out. You go out and there are little babies there. Here I am overanalyzing every move, chirp and crack. YIKES

Does anyone have any tips for hatching serama's? I have a hovabator genesis (with auto turner) that I'm using, and have tried multiple times to get some to hatch but keep coming up empty. Since I only have 1 hen/rooster combo it's normally not a lot of eggs going into the incubator at a time (normally 4-8 eggs). Temp-wise it's stayed at roughly 100 (+/- 1 degree) and >50% humidity with ~65% humidity during lockdown. The eggs are fertile as I've seen development (first batch I candled probably too frequently, but last batch I candled once and then left alone). With my first 2 attempts I had porcelain d'uccle eggs in with them and those hatched, so the incubator was working decently.

My last attempt I tried a split experiment - broody hen & incubator. I still came up empty, although with the broody I also tried d'uccle eggs there as well and they didn't hatch ( I think my son and the other chickens kept moving the hen around too much). I might try the broody again but move her into her own area.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

Does anyone have any tips for hatching serama's? I have a hovabator genesis (with auto turner) that I'm using, and have tried multiple times to get some to hatch but keep coming up empty. Since I only have 1 hen/rooster combo it's normally not a lot of eggs going into the incubator at a time (normally 4-8 eggs). Temp-wise it's stayed at roughly 100 (+/- 1 degree) and >50% humidity with ~65% humidity during lockdown. The eggs are fertile as I've seen development (first batch I candled probably too frequently, but last batch I candled once and then left alone). With my first 2 attempts I had porcelain d'uccle eggs in with them and those hatched, so the incubator was working decently.

My last attempt I tried a split experiment - broody hen & incubator. I still came up empty, although with the broody I also tried d'uccle eggs there as well and they didn't hatch ( I think my son and the other chickens kept moving the hen around too much). I might try the broody again but move her into her own area.

We have a couple of serema eggs in the incubator that are getting ready to hatch...I'll let you know in a couple of days if they actually hatch. This is the first time I have used an incubator and all i did was keep water in it and the temp about 100. There were only 3 in there and I think one quit about day 7ish but the others seem to be going strong-one is starting to hatch right now.
I would love to know if there is a trick to hatching them...afraid I don't know much about seremas. Accidently got a couple when I bought what I thought were banty welsummers for my singleton banty cochin chick last fall.

Hi! I am new to this forum. I am here to see if there are any Silkies breeder in my area? I am located in Apache Junction and I already have a coop. I would like to purchase some silkies. If you can send me a private message with your prices, location and pictures if possible. Thank you so much! I've tried to contact Sonoran Silkies but don't know if Suze Scott is active or sell silkies anymore. Any informations would be great! :)

I won this pair of Dutch bantams in a raffle this weekend. I already adore them...a question though...what color are they considered.

I'll have to check out those pressed pellets, everybody is saying such good things about it, I hadn't ever even seen it. Thanks for the idea guys!

You know, my husband originally said he didn't want chickens at all. He was really annoyed with me at first. But he got into it pretty quickly. And he, thankfully, did the vast majority of the work on the coop. He enjoyed the building of it and said it was fun. But man, it does take way longer than you'd think.

Anyway, I just thought I'd respond with regards to your sun issue. In our coop video you can see that aluminum shade cloth that I used for the west side of the coop. We have the same issue otherwise, during the heat of the day they have shade from the roof, but they totally lose the roof shade later in the day. The aluminet help tremendously. It's actually really pleasant in there with that covering the west side. And they still get a bit of light and the breeze, but it blocks out most of the light and heat. They have different prefab sizes to choose from, and the price seemed comparable with other shade cloths. You can also get custom sizes cut on this site too, I'd recommend it. I have the 70% density aluminet, there are lower densities too, but obviously you'd probably want the highest for your purposes.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/70-percent-aluminet-shade-curtain/shade-cloth

My wife was completely against chickens at first. My daughter was totally stoked about it. Once we got the chicks, wifey started to love them.

Have you had other breeds hatch in your incubator? Are you sure the eggs were fertile? Are you sure the hen was broody? Most hens will not take to being moved while they are broody. What temps and humidity are you running?

Back
Top Bottom