Arizona Chickens

If she hangs the other one, that just usually means they are warm.

Could she have jumped off of a high roost and injured the leg?
That's a good point... she was probably still warm from being outside when I took the video. I think she was stressed out being inside, too. She spent the day complaining and bokking for the other chickens.

She definitely could have jumped off of a high roost... and landed on the brick the watering contraption sits on. Or, she could have landed on the awkwardly bent wire that is buried (to prevent digging predators) and curved (but not quite flush) with the foundation. Or, she could have landed on the foundation. I moved the brick.
hmm.png

Another video of limping, this time without the wings hanging

Hey guys. I feel like adding to the flock and am wondering if any one has Welsummer chicks right now. I think we also want to add a roo to the mix so we can hatch eggs to grow the flock.

That sounds good, the means ones first, you do not want to past meanness on if eather is mean.
Other then that, my late husbands grand mother would decide the yard in two. Have on one side half on the other (ruffle). One side heads, the other tails. Heads loses their heads, tails keep their tails. A little arbitrary, but apparently all her girls had names (most allest) but over winter they only kept about 50 or so. Out of some 250 or more chickens. (She did it more then once, until they had the number down). Montana winters are brutal on open plains, the wind can freeze dry beef on the hoof as it is taking a bit of dry grass.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I feel like adding to the flock and am wondering if any one has Welsummer chicks right now. I think we also want to add a roo to the mix so we can hatch eggs to grow the flock.
I have a five month old pullet I could sell you, I also have a six month old silver laced Polish and a buff laced polish and a couple of white leghorns for sale. All of them are laying but the Welsummer.

As for roos, I have two month old chicks...

One Lakenvelder roo,
a couple Silver Laced Cochin roos,
a black Cochin roo
a partridge cochin roo
an American Game roo
an Australorp roo...

I'm going to try and sell all of the above within the next two weeks.

I was told by Superstition Feed in AJ that they have a second location off the 202 and McDowell (Power) area near Las Sendas. Does anyone know exactly where it's located? Im sure I could call them but since I work nights I don't have time to call them during the day. Anyone know where this feed store is located?

Friend of mine said he picked a couple up in Tucson at the Arizona Feed on the southside. Kind of a haul for ya though. I-10 sucks.

I also have an Aloha rooster that is really cute, if you wanted to make spotted Welsummers!

I am actively trying to re-home him, plus I'm about to put some spotty Alohas and some Aloha crosses up for sale. Nothing wrong with the hens, just trying to reduce numbers before the major heat comes. Also I have about 60 babies that I'm growing out here, so I need to make room for those. Mostly hens that are spotty but a bit small (small Leghorn size) or bigger hens that do not have enough spots. (But all hens carry the genes for spots.) Going to ask $15 for the hens on CL. Was hoping to get $5 for the roo or he can go free with the purchase of a couple of hens. Here's one pic of a hen:

I went out of town for a week, and my boyfriend was HORRIBLE about collecting eggs. As usual.

So I have all these eggs sitting around the coop, and hens on top of some. Others just lying in the dirt. It's a mess out there, and I certainly can't eat any of those eggs! Plus I have some eggs on the counter that are over a week old - they were there when I left. I was hoping a friend would come by to pick them up and hatch while I was gone, but I guess he wasn't able to.

If ANYONE would like some free Aloha hatching eggs, drop me a line. I am also considering just stuffing all of these eggs in the giant 'bator that I'm borrowing here (one of those 300-egg models) which would hatch out a ton of chicks on June 12th. I'd sell the chicks cheep to my neighbors or whatnot, because I don't like to raise chicks in the summer. (I'm done with chicks for this Spring, I have about 60 growing out right now!) But not sure what to do with them, seems a waste when the chicks are so darn pretty:

So if you're interested in some Aloha hatching eggs, give me a holler! The stale, old, or been-sitting-outside-for-a-week ones are FREE. Hatch rate might be poor. But did I mention, the older ones are FREE??? I just hate to see them go to waste. :)

Sad news down here. Last night I got home around 8pm and found one of the black sexlinks dead in the run. No idea why. Food and water were available and shade was available as well. I had asked my wife to check on the girls around 5:30pm and she added water to a couple of containers, she said everyone was great and no problems were noted. In the period of 3 hours the sexlink laid down next to the trough and died? Weird, ofcourse my kids are crushed and I'm a little miffed.  I mean seriously, no problems and everybody was eating and drinking.  What is even weird-er was the turkeys were laying down next to the sexlink out in the run. My son went and put them in the coop and they roosted right away.  As of this morning, everyone seems fine. *crossed fingers*

Oh so sorry for your loss..

Somebody help me. There must be a cure for this madness. With only 4 Bourbon Red turkeys in my Porter batch, I decided that was not enough for a good sex ratio. So I ordered some Bourbon Red hatching eggs off Ebay. Not one batch, but two! Two different sellers, whose birds came from 2 different places. Both live in the southern part of the U.S. so hopefully these poults will be more acclimated to our heat. Yikes! That is 22 eggs. If most of them hatch, I will have extra Bourbon Red poults. The eggs should be here by Friday or Saturday. Then I will have to camp out by the gate so if the mailperson comes, the boxes won't be sitting in the hot sun.

Here are my turkey poults. I had to split them into two bins today. I put the smaller ones in with the ones that just hatched a few days ago. Then I have 5 Royal Palms in an outside pen that I let a broody hen hatch. I think there are 33 counting all of them. Some of them I hatched but 24 came from Porter Turkeys. I timed my hatch to coincide with the arrival of his
wink.png

The smaller and younger ones:
Aw, I love baby turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom