Arizona Chickens

Baby needs some friends. Hatched yesterday and has no other siblings hatching. Looking to pick up a couple up to a week old chicks. I work at 92nd st and Shea and now live at 104th ave and olive. Please pm. Otherwise stock shop has chicks to sell. Thanks

Almost lost one this weekend.

Yesterday around 11am I went to check my capon coop and found one of my black ameraucana roos was "dead". His laid on side motionless, eyes closed and not respond when I use a stick to poke him. So I took him out ready to discard the body when I found that he is still soft and warm and his eyes half opened. I didn't find any wound or bite marks, the only reason for his condition that I may thought of was that his brothers may have piled on him and suffocated him? By the way, they are about 3 months old.

I took him inside, set him in a box and used a turkey baster to drip some salt water into his mouth. After some 30 minutes to an hours he seems to gain some strength now eyes are open still couldn't get up. I can here him "cough" like trying to get something out of his throat, I felt his crop it is empty and weirdly mushy however I couldn't massage anything out of his mouth while hold him upside down. I gave him more water just let him rest.

By night around 6pm his seems better I took him out set him on the lawn, he could walk! but he limps, especially the left leg, may it went to sleep for too long when he was in coma? He walked a bit and they sit down to take a rest, he drank some water I set aside.

I took him in by 8pm and let him spend the night inside in the box. This morning at 6am seems he is fully recovered! I put him back to the pen he walks, eats, drinks normal!

Excited that he recovered still not sure what happened to him.

Yes the guy has fully recovered now I can't tell who is who because I have 4 of them, but they all happy and sound.

My EE laid an egg last night between 10 and midnight....anybody has similar experiences? I thought that they don't lay when it's dark?

I have an EE that occasionally (but with some regularity) lays eggs from the roost. I'm not sure if she'd doing it after dark or before I let them out in the morning. Weird huh?

I have an EE that occasionally (but with some regularity) lays eggs from the roost. I'm not sure if she'd doing it after dark or before I let them out in the morning. Weird huh?

Indeed. I know she laid between 10 and midnight is because at 10, I went out to check them and found her in the nest box, I thought was weird didn't think too much took her out and put her back on the roost. Then 30 minutes later, she went back to the nest, I took put back to to the roost again. I checked the nest, there was no egg for sure. I was wondering if she went to broody. So at midnight right before I went to bed I checked again and found an egg in the nest!

Back
Top Bottom