Arizona Chickens

You might have to look on a chicken hatchery web side for "skirts" for your EE's or whatever they are called. It will protect them & help in the loss of their feathers.. Or let the free range more often.. Do you have chicken math?? They do need to be able to get away from a bully..
Yeah, I have heard that guineas can be mean to chickens.. They are not as domesticated, that is why they will eventually leave your property after a year or so..

Called hen saddles or hen or chicken aprons. I have them on my EEs and they do free range but that Golden Cuckoo Marans rooster is pretty quick in the morning! I got mine on ebay from a lady named Cathy, I think if you search for hen saddles you'll come up with a few hits. Hers stay on my girls, they're very well made. I bought some from a chicken supply site & kept finding them in the grass instead of on the girls.

I am still in Texas. There is 2 groups of ducks with ducklings that are residents here. Today when I was fixing lunch I heard chirping under my feet. All 7 little ducklings were right there. Moms and papa did not seem to happy about them so close to me. They kept shaking their tails. I have know ticked that they shake a lot when unhappy. So I got a scoop of grain and gave it to them. They are so cute.

I saw another article on the MN slater http://reason.com/r/10L0 IT IS 2 days old so you all probably seen it.

Little Chicken, prayers are with you that your girls recover quickly. I am sure you caught it right away.

Thats sounds cool! Any Tucson Peeps are welcome to come by and see mine anytime. East side, Pima/Camino Seco. Just PM me, come by and have a cold homebrew.
I'm not close but may need to be with all this brew talk.
I made my nest boxes yesterday and told those Brats to gimmie my eggs! ONE OF THEM DID! First egg, first egg!!! :celebrate :weee :ya
Nice egg congrata

I think a few of my birds have a respiratory infection. they are coughing, sneezing and have nasal discharge. My neighbor redid the water way a few years ago (although I thought that was illegal) he moved the wash and now it comes right through my yard. my property is on an angle with my coops at the top but this year they flooded bad, several times. someone suggested maybe the floods brought bad stuff and deposited it in my coop area. I have decided to clean them all (again) add lime and then add sand about 6-12 inches to each coop. I am hoping this will help. I have all those coops on oxytetracycline and it seems to be helping the sneezing slow down. (they have only been on it 24 hrs). I am really hoping this solves any issues I am having.

I have 2 pips and peeps eggs in the hatcher. having some issues keeping the humidity in the right area. Pray they both hatch.
You're right, it is illegal to alter the natural path of a wash, but that doesn't stop people from doing it, and in our case, when I tried to get help from TPTB, I got nothing! We have a wash that goes through one corner of our yard and continues on right through the middle of the yard next door (and on from there). When the neighbors bought the land, before they started building their house, I talked with them about the wash. They proceeded to grade their whole yard anyway, essentially filling in the wash. Well, the wash is stronger than their grading, and it just carved its path right back through their yard!! Just not as deep as it was, so every time we get big rain, they get flooded. What's that they say about karma? LOL

For Sale $2.50 lbs. thought I'd share. Also
story.php

Couple free mules in Cornville, Az.

I have had two bright blue eggs that pipped, but didn't zip. The first one I assisted. There was virtually no blood. It went really well. This is my first incubation ever, so I'm really a virgin at this all.

The shell was soooo thick compared to the lighter blue one that pipped and zipped and hatch within about 2 hours. I'm glad I helped because it was not doing the zipping itself. I have a second bright blue egg that was in the same situation. I've peeled back the egg shell around the pip to about halfway down. There was a spot with blood that came through the membrane. It just pooled; it wasn't free flowing. I put it back in the incubator, in the egg flat with some moist face-cleaned towellettes around it and under it. I'm giving it some time to absorb the capillaries before I try to help again. This eggshell was really thick, too.

I have a bantam blue wheaten that just started peeping, but no pip. Does that mean it's internally pipped? I hope it manages. I also have a Silkie egg that I candled because something was smelling in the incubator. It looked fully formed, but no movement. I pipped the aircell end and there was no movement whatsoever. I put it back and am going to give it some time. I had an olive egger yesterday that had air sacs at both end and was really light. That one had mold in it and seemed to have died a while ago.

I just replaced the cover and am going to go back to my reading for grad school. Appropriately, I'm reading Frankenstein. I may just call myself the Modern Chicken Prometheus.

Supposed Crested Cream Legbar:

Splash Amerecauna:

Back
Top Bottom