Arizona Chickens

So yesterday I was driving around to local feed and hay spots looking for chicks. They only had BO, RIR and other ones that I always see. I wanted some Marans or something that I don't already have. Harder task than it sounds like. I was angry at Aden Hay Sales because I stopped, saw they had Marans and came back just before closing to pick mine up. I go to pay and tell the guy I want 3 Marans and he says we don't have Marans. I say well there's a sign out on te brooder that says you do and another couple were buying them before me as Marans. His girl counterpart says " YEH I just havent switched the sign yet" I turned and walked off. Customer Service is almost gone completely. Feed stores are on their way out.

So I came home and started looking on CL for chicks. Found some out here in QC but when I inquired about the breeds I was shocked by the price.

Buff Leghorns $15
Lavender Orps $20
Blue Frizzle Orp $15

1f633.png
is this normal? I asked why so high (because I had sticker shock) and was told because they're rare pure bred chickens. Wanted to check and see if this is normal?

Western Ranchman
16028 N 32nd St, Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 992-3410

This is where I go often for feed. Not sure if they have gotten their chicks in yet. The people are friendly and very knowledgeable. Every time I go in, it's like being in a country store. A bit of a ride for you but if you're on that side of town, well worth it. I drive there from north west Phoenix.

So yesterday I was driving around to local feed and hay spots looking for chicks. They only had BO, RIR and other ones that I always see. I wanted some Marans or something that I don't already have. Harder task than it sounds like. I was angry at Aden Hay Sales because I stopped, saw they had Marans and came back just before closing to pick mine up. I go to pay and tell the guy I want 3 Marans and he says we don't have Marans. I say well there's a sign out on te brooder that says you do and another couple were buying them before me as Marans. His girl counterpart says " YEH I just havent switched the sign yet" I turned and walked off. Customer Service is almost gone completely. Feed stores are on their way out.

So I came home and started looking on CL for chicks. Found some out here in QC but when I inquired about the breeds I was shocked by the price.

Buff Leghorns $15
Lavender Orps $20
Blue Frizzle Orp $15

1f633.png
is this normal? I asked why so high (because I had sticker shock) and was told because they're rare pure bred chickens. Wanted to check and see if this is normal?

No that is not normal for chicks. Especially from craigslist where I can almost guarantee you are not getting what they say.

Buff Leghorns $15
Lavender Orps $20
Blue Frizzle Orp $15

1f633.png

Really it depends on the quality of the birds. If these are show quality birds of rare breeds, then yeah those are fairly normal prices. Have you seen the price of rare breed hatching eggs? I paid 48.00 a dozen for Crested Cream Legbar eggs and spent 45.00 in gas to get them. The cheapest I have seen CCL sell for as chicks is 32.00/pair. Sold in pairs only.

I have 10 mixed breed layers for sale.These girls lay blue, green and light brown eggs. The older girls are molting and not laying at the moment but should resume when finished with their molt. One is a purebred blue Ameraucana, tho I think she is not the large fowl that I had ordered as she is pretty small and her daughters I"ve hatched have been on the small side also. The rest are easter eggers or part EE. 3 pullets were hatched in March, 2 hens were a year in June. A couple others were a year this March. The blue Ameraucana and one or two other hens hatched Nov 2012 so going on 2 years. All were hatched and raised by me on organic feed. PM me for pricing; would love to make a deal on all of them. I am in Globe=Miami. I come to the valley occasionally, like every couple of months. These girls are a little smaller than what I want, so won't be breeding from them. So they need to go, I need the pen space.

Western Ranchman
(602) 992-3410

This is where I go often for feed. Not sure if they have gotten their chicks in yet. The people are friendly and very knowledgeable. Every time I go in, it's like being in a country store. A bit of a ride for you but if you're on that side of town, well worth it. I drive there from north west Phoenix.
WOW!!!! Is Western Ranchman still up there? Used to go there when we lived in Paradise Valley about 25 years ago and they were like a country store then.

Boo. Leave it to you to spoil them.
1f604.png
I know I am sry. there are so many at our shelter and for free. they even have barnyard kittens.

I just love NN!!!! I have a few. I like the coloration of your profile pic

Me too! Whenever I see them I get all excited and want to cuddle them! Haha! They are "Mille fluer" Bantam Cochins. My avatar grew up to be this handsome guy:

[/QUOTE]

oh wow!!!!! so adorable. I have never been a fan of bantams but I might rethink that for bantam NN.

Buff Leghorns $15
Lavender Orps $20
Blue Frizzle Orp $15

1f633.png
Yes, those prices are normal for rare breeds. If you get into show birds or rare birds the prices really jump. remember they are NOT hatchery birds. sry you got sticker shock!!

Really it depends on the quality of the birds. If these are show quality birds of rare breeds, then yeah those are fairly normal prices. Have you seen the price of rare breed hatching eggs? I paid 48.00 a dozen for Crested Cream Legbar eggs and spent 45.00 in gas to get them. The cheapest I have seen CCL sell for as chicks is 32.00/pair. Sold in pairs only.
exactly. rare and show birds cost a lot. or organic birds too.

Buff Leghorns $15
Lavender Orps $20
Blue Frizzle Orp $15

1f633.png
Ask if they show them. If they do it's about normal.

Western Ranchman
(602) 992-3410

I love Western Ranchman. Great place if you need cage building supplies. They also carry organic feed.

Back
Top Bottom