Arizona Chickens

Still think about stuff for you though.

ah I have a frizzle roo so I will be making some of these...lol. You need to get one Dave and you will fall in love. such awesome personalities!!! I will give you one or two in spring for you to try. If you don't like them you can give them back but you will fall in love. All of us NN lovers started out thinking they were ugly and odd...lol
I love NN's!!! I have two, both are very sweet but one is by far the most awesomest bird! The lay even in the heat if summer.
This little one already has a bow tie, so very cute!

I know thats why I had to get that pic!!I just love love love mine. here is two more...Blueberry and Blackberry.

Those feathers are everywhere, almost like a chicken fight had taken place.. Same here, with no eggs..
I am so lucky I only have 3 that went through bad molt the rest have had an easy molt. :)

Quote: I adore my NN! And yeah, you're totally right... I started out thinking they were ugly, now I adore them and can't imagine not having them. I even got a little silkie rooster so that i could make some showgirls...
hide.gif

I have 2 of the jungle fowl/ silkie mix babies for you.. I am so busy this week, but I will text you our schedule.
Holy cow can't wait
ah I have a frizzle roo so I will be making some of these...lol. You need to get one Dave and you will fall in love. such awesome personalities!!! I will give you one or two in spring for you to try. If you don't like them you can give them back but you will fall in love. All of us NN lovers started out thinking they were ugly and odd...lol I know thats why I had to get that pic!!I just love love love mine. here is two more...Blueberry and Blackberry. I am so lucky I only have 3 that went through bad molt the rest have had an easy molt. :)
I don't know about that. Lol. I just sent 2 NN Roos to freezer heaven last week. I did the NN first because they were the meanest. Ha. I'm sure they'd be different hand raised but this guy was an A$& hole.

My take on this issue is that I do not care if a lot of people are breeding, showing, or selling non SOP chickens. How are they going to learn what good quality birds are unless they can see theirs right next to a better one? How are they going to ruin breeds of chickens more than hatcheries have who pump out thousands of mix breed birds and call them purebred? I think it is great that poultry keeping is popular. A percentage of those people will be interested enough in the poultry to learn how to do it better. I would be worried if it was dogs or cats they were breeding and dropping the culls at the local pound or worse dropping them off in the desert somewhere, but they are chickens. Chickens with comb spurs or wry tails or the wrong color still lay eggs and when butchered still taste like chicken. I do not care what kind of chickens anyone has and I vote for the best of them with my pocket book.

It is called research. There are a lot of books out there, even books that will point out differences of US and Britsh standards. You can learn a lot by books. Then there is talking to others, chicken fanciers. Learn who are the true authority on chickens, what breeds they are working with. Points they are working to improve, or working to have a flock that all the birds meet standards. There are meny members of BYC, that joined before the got their first chicken. I did my home work with books. I already know that hatchery chickens were playing Russian Rulet as tp purity of breed. If I purched from a hatchery such as Greenfire Farms, I better be a breeder. I would return any substandard chicken, do to expectations of quality. They do not garentee perfect to standard but close enough they can be used to a achieve a blue ribbin chicken.

Hatcheries such as Ideal and Cackle market to average breader sand fanciers. You can work with them to achieve one that meats standards, but it will be a lot of chicks and time to get the prime stock. Desertmarcy is an excilent local source for a leg up in breeding. There are other members as well.

Going to Chicken Shows is NOT always a good source of chickens to beed standards. In MN State Fair, I meet a couple with their blue book of Standards open, going from breed to breed, they were doing research to put tots gather their first flock.

-----------------------------

I have been feeding a duck family every evening, a very insistent family. I will post a recent picture tonight after I take a picture. They have lost 2 of thier charges in the 3 weeks I have been giving them treats. Yesterday a new single duck showed up. It kept picking on the ducklings, not being hers. Well this morning she showed up again, this time she was not alone.

Last edited:
It is called research. There are a lot of books out there, even books that will point out differences of US and Britsh standards. You can learn a lot by books. Then there is talking to others, chicken fanciers. Learn who are the true authority on chickens, what breeds they are working with. Points they are working to improve, or working to have a flock that all the birds meet standards. There are meny members of BYC, that joined before the got their first chicken. I did my home work with books. I already know that hatchery chickens were playing Russian Rulet as tp purity of breed. If I purched from a hatchery such as Greenfire Farms, I better be a breeder. I would return any substandard chicken, do to expectations of quality. They do not garentee perfect to standard but close enough they can be used to a achieve a blue ribbin chicken.

Hatcheries such as Ideal and Cackle market to average breader sand fanciers. You can work with them to achieve one that meats standards, but it will be a lot of chicks and time to get the prime stock. Desertmarcy is an excilent local source for a leg up in breeding. There are other members as well.

Going to Chicken Shows is NOT always a good source of chickens to beed standards. In MN State Fair, I meet a couple with their blue book of Standards open, going from breed to breed, they were doing research to put tots gather their first flock.

I have been feeding a duck family every evening, a very insistent family. I will post a recent picture tonight after I take a picture. They have lost 2 of thier charges in the 3 weeks I have been giving them treats. Yesterday a new single duck showed up. It kept picking on the ducklings, not being hers. Well this morning she showed up again, this time she was not alone.

Everyone's path to knowledge is different. I am glad you have been researching.
Just an FYI Greenfire Farms does not guarantee the quality of their birds, only that they are free from observable physical defects such as cross beaks or crooked toes.
All any of us can do as breeders is buy the best stock we can find and be responsible in choosing which birds to keep reproducing from. We need to learn, ask questions and practice good husbandry.
Good luck on your quest.

Our jungle fowl "tiny" some how managed to get her babies to go under a tiny small crack in the bottom of the fence this afternoon. The 3 bresse & 1 jungle fowl silkie mix, went right on out to forage in our front yard.

Well I thought I closed up the bottom.. She has them out & about again this morning :idunno
I can vouch for thus breed, they are smarter than the average chicken.. :lau

I have been reading more and more articles on this subject. It is becoming alarming, instead of helping breeds BYC movement is degrading the breads. More and more sub-standard chickens are showing up at chicken shows, were they should not even be entered let alone exhibited. I do not object to a BARN YARD MIX class of chickens, or a fancy barn yard mix, but should never be sold as a pure bead. I, being not a breeder it doesn't matter their breeding. I have made up my mind, when I start again, I will bread the best I can find to standard. I am happy to pay the price for a fine bird. I have not spent time on what breeds I will work with as of yet.

My take on this issue is that I do not care if a lot of people are breeding, showing, or selling non SOP chickens. How are they going to learn what good quality birds are unless they can see theirs right next to a better one? How are they going to ruin breeds of chickens more than hatcheries have who pump out thousands of mix breed birds and call them purebred? I think it is great that poultry keeping is popular. A percentage of those people will be interested enough in the poultry to learn how to do it better. I would be worried if it was dogs or cats they were breeding and dropping the culls at the local pound or worse dropping them off in the desert somewhere, but they are chickens. Chickens with comb spurs or wry tails or the wrong color still lay eggs and when butchered still taste like chicken. I do not care what kind of chickens anyone has and I vote for the best of them with my pocket book.

X2!! She is a excellent local sourse.

Everyone's path to knowledge is different. I am glad you have been researching.
Just an FYI Greenfire Farms does not guarantee the quality of their birds, only that they are free from observable physical defects such as cross beaks or crooked toes.
All any of us can do as breeders is buy the best stock we can find and be responsible in choosing which birds to keep reproducing from. We need to learn, ask questions and practice good husbandry.
Good luck on your quest.

How cool, do they come to you or do you go to them? Thank you for posting up photos..

I would never pay what Greenfire farms is asking.. I just happen to need chicks, in a hurry.. The only place in town was pratts, no thanks. At the time, durring the summer months.. So rather than go there a friend happen to have chicks from Greenfire.. We have always had barnyard mix chickens, we love them so much.. However, I can't wait to get green, blue eggs from the isbar's..

How cool, do they come to you or do you go to them? Thank you for posting up photos..

I would never pay what Greenfire farms is asking.. I just happen to need chicks, in a hurry.. The only place in town was pratts, no thanks. At the time, durring the summer months.. So rather than go there a friend happen to have chicks from Greenfire.. We have always had barnyard mix chickens, we love them so much.. However, I can't wait to get green, blue eggs from the isbar's..

Cool! I would love to see pictures of your Sidebars and their green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom