Arizona Chickens

Well it looks like we lost our rooster :( we were out late last night and I just assumed everyone was all good for the night (I normal check on them) and it looks like the tarp fell down and the rooster jumped out. The neighbor kids said that they had picked him up and was taking him back to the coop (I let them play with the chickens all the time so they knew who's it was) but they said their aunt yelled at them and made them put him down even after they explained who's rooster it was. My mom is very sad because it was more her rooster.
R.I.P Peanut :(

Lost or did you find him dead?

FIRST EGG TODAY!!! We've been waiting around a little over 5 months after getting our "day old" chicks. We got our first egg from one of the barred rocks today. I expect our other barred rock will start soon after. This is my first flock. Now that I have one of the nine laying, are the others going to be more inclined to lay? I have (2) Americauna, (2) Barred Holland, (1) Red Sex Link, (1) Silver Laced Wyandotte, and (1) Golden Sex Link. Any idea how long it will take the others to start?

How eggciting!! The Ameraucana will have beautiful eggs.

Disappointing, we get our first egg yesterday and none today... No follow up
sad.png

Most of my birds are laying an egg every other day right now. Be patient. There will be follow up
smile.png

Quote:
Awww, I'm sorry. I was hoping he would find his way back home.

hugs.gif

No-go on the no-crow collar for me. My cockerel wasn't having it! He threw himself around so bad that I thought he was going to kill himself. I tried several times tightening it differently each time.
My immediate neighbors don't mind him (they have triple paned windows) but he wakes me up way too early every morning so he's been sleeping in a cage in the shed. It gets really messy! I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to try to keep him.
He's a beautiflul Black Australorp. His black feathers shine in the sun with purple and green and when the hens sense trouble and hide, he steps to the front to confront the perceived challenge. He has challenged me a couple of times, but backed down with just a little stomp in his direction. He'll eat out of my hand but keeps a respectable distance otherwise.
The shed won't work in the summer, though, so I'll have to figure something out before then.

Totally excited, we got our first duck egg!! :weee

The duck egg is the at the bottom, & nt from our girl.. .. Her first egg was the size of our hen's. It was a tad bit green, grey ish.. Very light. And you know how the first egg has the scratch mark's.. I should have probably left it where she layed it, but I was to excited I had to bring it in to just look at it! :woot

No-go on the no-crow collar for me.  My cockerel wasn't having it!  He threw himself around so bad that I thought he was going to kill himself.  I tried several times tightening it differently each time. 
My immediate neighbors don't mind him (they have triple paned windows) but he wakes me up way too early every morning so he's been sleeping in a cage in the shed.  It gets really messy!  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to try to keep him. 
He's a beautiflul Black Australorp.  His black feathers shine in the sun with purple and green and when the hens sense trouble and hide, he steps to the front to confront the perceived challenge.  He has challenged me a couple of times, but backed down with just a little stomp in his direction.  He'll eat out of my hand but keeps a respectable distance otherwise.
The shed won't work in the summer, though, so I'll have to figure something out before then.

Yeah, it is sad to see them wail.. But about 30-40 minutes they get over it. To bad.. Our rooster crow was the same..we ended taking it off.. So I have to try it on our next dude..

It has been a long day today. Rained all day. I need the sun, a little rain is nice but not for driving in. I am in Ft Stockton, I may be holding over a day in El.
Paso. I will play it by ear. The girls deserve a rest. Maybe a short day tomorrow, stop and then go on to Deming and spend a couple of nights there.

Back
Top Bottom