Arizona Chickens

Woohoo!!! We got an egg this morning from a second hen
1f603.png

I've been waiting and watching 4 of my pullets squat every time I go anywhere near them for the last two weeks. I couldn't believe it bc the first hen that laid for us began laying after two days of squatting.

Anyways, we now have two of nine laying and another 3 of them showing those "any day now" signs.

Yeehaa! How eggciting

I had another unsuccessful crested cream legbar hatch. [COLOR=333333]Sigh. Only two hatched out of my 15 crested cream legbar eggs. One was facing the wrong end, and I helped her out, but she didn't make it. And then there was one little ... she is going to live my friend [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]@AZChiknGoddess
 since she had o[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]ne boy and one girl make it. She is going to trade me for a trio of wheaten amerecaunas. I didn't want the Princess to be alone. ;)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Also, we made lots of fortifications to the coop and the pen, so I was surprised when I found Agatha, my rescue leghorn, dead. At first, I thought it was a predator, but she had a prolapsed cloaca and was a few feet away from one of her eggs (which she never lays outside in the pen). She is a little older, maybe 2 or 2.5 years, so maybe it was her time. I don't know, but it's been difficult. I still have five Rouen eggs in the Hovabator that last look were paddling away. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I'm down to 5 laying hens, so while I'd like to do more chicks at some point, I'll probably look for some started pullets or already laying hens if anyone has any or knows of any.[/COLOR]

Condolences from us :hugs
@desertmarcy. And @a little chiken
Are close to you and possibly have what you would like.. Post photos of those baby rouen when you can..

So... I'm a youth minister at my church, and I was talking yesterday at our meeting about how I'm going the TPPFFC show this coming weekend. All the teens got really excited, so they all decided to come to the show and visit all the chickens. I may have just inducted 20 kids into the love of chickens. :oops:

Hallelujah !! Love to see how God prepairs them for heaven.. Threw people like you..

I have quite a few hens to part with, mostly New Hampshires that are either 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 years old. I'm still trying to decide which of the older hens I will retain for breeding this coming year, but the New Hampshires are definitely out because I lost my male and have decided not to pursue replacement since I have enough breeds to work with. Also, I will probably wait until after Thanksgiving, but I'll be going through and culling the Barred Rock pullets again and I feel like I owe you one of those if you want to try again. These are older now so if they were going to get Marek's I think they would have already because I know they have been exposed. Hoping next year I will have more resistant stock to work with
fl.gif
after culling out the weak ones.

Also, if you can come to the poultry show at the Fairgrounds this weekend (doing wait until late Sunday, the birds will be gone by mid-afternoon), there will be birds for sale there and you might see something you'd like. I've seen people selling pullets for way less than I know it costs to feed/raise them---like $10 for one already laying---if you aren't picky about breed, you can get some good deals.

Chickens can get so many problems, it is a wonder any of them survive! Yes it can be a bit trying at times but the rewards are worth it IMO. I have read that the breeds that lay heavily, like leghorns and the hybrid crosses bred to lay heavily, have a higher rate of reproductive issues like cloacal prolapse. I'm sure it was nothing you did. There is certainly always something to learn when caring for chickens. I've had my share of problems this year and frankly, I'd like that learning curve to flatten out a little bit
lol.png

Let me know after Thanksgiving. I actually will have a little more money mid-December as my paychecks will start to come in from my teaching position. I will go to the fairgrounds this weekend. I wish I had a bigger budget though!! My birthday is on Wednesday, though. Maybe I'll have a little spending money.

beckyh - how is little amy doing now? what a find! don't beat yourself up because you didn't find her the first time, congratulate yourself for saving her from that hawk!

beckyh - how is little amy doing now? what a find! don't beat yourself up because you didn't find her the first time, congratulate yourself for saving her from that hawk!

I couldn't help it, I did feel terrible that I missed her the first time. I feel better now, though because she seems to be recovering. She is standing up all on her own for a few minutes and acts like she wants out of her box. She is still eating well and finally pooped a couple of times today. :) It's absolutely amazing considering the shape I found her in!
Of course I still have to worry about whether her "mama" will take her back or not. I think I might take her outside for a few minutes today to remind Penguin that she has a 4th chick. I'm sure she isn't strong enough to stay out there, but a visit would probably be OK and might even perk her up.

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to the forum, and live in Phoenix. Just wanted to say hello, and comment on the post since we have some extreme weather here, and you guys have great tips! Now at least i'll "be in the know" for chicken raising in the desert!

I can't wait until my young four start laying. Hopefully that will settle them down. They are so flighty and nervous, and just generally unpleasant to be around with all of their paranoid squawking and running around. I always feel like chasing them just so they have a reason to act like I'm the enemy (no worries, I'm too lazy to actually chase after them). I can't recall when I got them, but they have to be at least 5 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom