Arizona Chickens

Have any of you had any issues with your hens developing Fowl Pox? I'm a newbie owner bought two six month old hens from a organic farm about a week ago and i (think) one of my girls has Fowl Pox. She was perfectly healthy until yesterday. I haven't noticed any mosquitos around in the last few weeks but they were terrible in the summer. Just wondering if its going around here.

Have any of you had any issues with your hens developing Fowl Pox? I'm a newbie owner bought two six month old hens from a organic farm about a week ago and i (think) one of my girls has Fowl Pox. She was perfectly healthy until yesterday. I haven't noticed any mosquitos around in the last few weeks but they were terrible in the summer. Just wondering if its going around here.

Not sure what part of the state you are in. Dry pox has been working its way through my flock in the Tucson area. Still have mosquitoes around my house. The affected birds act perfectly healthy but they do have some sores on their combs.

Wet pox would be a much more serious form of fowl pox. So far I've been lucky and have not had to deal with that.

Not sure what part of the state you are in. Dry pox has been working its way through my flock in the Tucson area. Still have mosquitoes around my house. The affected birds act perfectly healthy but they do have some sores on their combs.

Wet pox would be a much more serious form of fowl pox. So far I've been lucky and have not had to deal with that.
I'm in the Chandler area. She def doesn't have wet i checked her mouth but she has some scabs on her comb and one of her eye seems irritated even tho there isn't any sores around her eye. I'm treating the eye with some vetericyn hoping it'll clear up without any additional treatment. I just haven't noticed any mosquitoes but I'm sure they're around.

yes, Fowl Pox is transmitted by mosquitoes and there are still skeeters around. I have see many posts about birds having it. mine got a mild case.
most of mine had it last year but no sign of it this year; I have some old tires stacked up to become a retaining wall so towards the end of monsoon season I went out and sprayed prymethrin in all the tires; really helped reduce the total skeeter population, so I think that helped. We've now had a few nights of hard freeze so no more skeeters this year.

I currently buy the big sky organic feed but am looking at trying Modesto. I keep hearing positive results from people using it saying their layers are producing more consistently and their meat birds are finishing bigger. Along with less waste because its pellets and crumbles. The problem is they charge a flat rate for shipping a pallet no matter how full it is. So if anyone wants to try some of their products let me know and I can get you a product and price list. They have some other options such as 25lb bags on some stuff, food grade DE, and nesting box herbs just to name a few.
I think Modesto is what Marcia buys; @desertmarcy She's down in Tucson tho

Back
Top Bottom