Arizona Chickens

I went to the rare fruit growers spring sale this morning. I swear I was only going to get two plants, but it's sort of like chicken math.
roll.png
There were so many varieties of fruit I've never seen before and all of them were grown locally. The prices were very reasonable. Some of the plants I got are seedlings and others just cuttings so look like twigs stuck in the pots but all have buds at least. I got Passiflora Arida, Rajapuri banannas, loquat, two varieties of black berries, Blueberry seedless grapes and Guamuchil. I got there shortly after they opened and they were already sold out of weeping mulberry which was the main thing I was looking to find.
barnie.gif
They will be having a fall sale too, can't wait!
That's awesome. I went to the class the night before on grafting, it was packed but i learned a few new things. They mentioned the sale the next day but I had to work.
sad.png
It was my first time there and it looked like they had all sorts of cool plant growing with their labels but it was to dark to really see anything.

I went to the rare fruit growers spring sale this morning. I swear I was only going to get two plants, but it's sort of like chicken math.
roll.png
There were so many varieties of fruit I've never seen before and all of them were grown locally. The prices were very reasonable. Some of the plants I got are seedlings and others just cuttings so look like twigs stuck in the pots but all have buds at least. I got Passiflora Arida, Rajapuri banannas, loquat, two varieties of black berries, Blueberry seedless grapes and Guamuchil. I got there shortly after they opened and they were already sold out of weeping mulberry which was the main thing I was looking to find.
barnie.gif
They will be having a fall sale too, can't wait!

Mmmmmmm I love Guamuchiles!!
love.gif
I didn't know anyone had those up here!! I'm from Mexico, actually from very near the city of Guamuchil, and I only ever had them back home. I have a very black thumb, tho, I can't grow anything
hmm.png
I killed bamboo, just sayin'

STOP.. chickens and plants! It's just too much for us. I'm glad somebody doesn't mention miniature dwarf sheep and dairy cow.

OMG!! Just yesterday I was staring at our ridiculously overgrown weeds and told my husband ... "You know, what we need is a pair of pygmy goats!" ... he wasn't even opposed to the idea.

Transformation into ranchers: 25% complete ...

big_smile.png

Last edited:
love.gif
I didn't know anyone had those up here!! I'm from Mexico, actually from very near the city of Guamuchil, and I only ever had them back home. I have a very black thumb, tho, I can't grow anything
hmm.png

OMG!! Just yesterday I was staring at our ridiculously overgrown weeds and told my husband ... "You know, what we need is a pair of pygmy goats!" ... he wasn't even opposed to the idea.

big_smile.png

Pygmy goats are adorable! My husband raised them as a kid (no pun intended). I think I would probably prefer something along the Nubian lines though, just because I love their milk.

We had strawberries from the farmer's market this morning. My 11 year old tells me she will no longer eat store bought berries. I asked why? She said, MOM do I even need to answer that?? So it looks like I need to find some strawberry plants haha. I wish I was close enough to go to that plant sale. I did get a few things from one here in Yuma but we don't have the variety that you guys have there in Phoenix. There is a farm that grows citrus, apples, peaches, and blackberries. I'm going to ask them if they ever sell plant starts or if I could steal a cane or two from their blackberries. Then my life would be complete. Yeah...right... until the next plant I see that I want. LOL. 

X2!! I want just about every plant.. The time it takes me to water my potted plant's in the summer is awful...

STOP.. chickens and plants! It's just too much for us. I'm glad somebody doesn't mention miniature dwarf sheep and dairy cow.

LOL I am beginning to think I need an intervention group. I am up to ten paddocks for my different breeds of chickens and need more built for the ty fly birds I ordered. HELP.. LOL they are so addicting.
:barnie

:thumbsup

Well one good thing about having a small back yard. There are only so many chickens I can have before I'll get in trouble LOL. Our city allows 20 in town, no roosters that can crow. So right now I have 19 because I gave away my rooster. There is no way I could have 10 paddocks plus have a garden. I think my garden might grow into my front yard. I have several weedy beds that would look great with pretty herbs and veggies. No HOA here so I can do whatever I want yay! 

Space is not an issue here we are on 5 acres. I would love to have a garden too hopfully later this year. Did put it 8 fruit trees though

Did you already mention what 8 fruit tree's?

We had strawberries from the farmer's market this morning. My 11 year old tells me she will no longer eat store bought berries. I asked why? She said, MOM do I even need to answer that?? So it looks like I need to find some strawberry plants haha. I wish I was close enough to go to that plant sale. I did get a few things from one here in Yuma but we don't have the variety that you guys have there in Phoenix. There is a farm that grows citrus, apples, peaches, and blackberries. I'm going to ask them if they ever sell plant starts or if I could steal a cane or two from their blackberries. Then my life would be complete. Yeah...right... until the next plant I see that I want. LOL.

I mail-ordered a bunch of different fruit trees recently and while I was at it, bought 25 Everbearing strawberry plants. I have no idea if they will fruit here, but this variety is supposed to tolerant the heat better than most. They were shipped bare root of course, but they are leafing out now.

Hi all! It's been a VERY long time since I was here last (on BYC period). I have no idea if anyone will remember me... :D

My life has gotten pretty crazy since I was here last - I've got a total of ten chickens now, 22 turkey poults on the way, a milk cow that just freshened and in November 2013 I had my beautiful baby girl. Things have been crazy to say the least, and that's without this darned heat! Hope everyone is well, and I look forward to catching up!

love.gif
hmm.png

big_smile.png
I only tasted guamuchiles once from the farmer's marked in Guadalupe. I don't think they were fully ripe as the pods were mostly closed and they were pretty sour. I'm hoping the tree makes it to fruit as I think they are frost sensitive. I'm trying to figure out a good place for it since they can get pretty big but need frost protection. I suspect I'll be pruning plenty of frost damaged thorny branches in the future.

X2!! I want just about every plant.. The time it takes me to water my potted plant's in the summer is awful...
Oh for sure. I have so much in pots and in summer most of them need daily water.

Hi all! It's been a VERY long time since I was here last (on BYC period). I have no idea if anyone will remember me...
big_smile.png

My life has gotten pretty crazy since I was here last - I've got a total of ten chickens now, 22 turkey poults on the way, a milk cow that just freshened and in November 2013 I had my beautiful baby girl. Things have been crazy to say the least, and that's without this darned heat! Hope everyone is well, and I look forward to catching up!

Glad you're back!

Back
Top Bottom