Arizona Chickens

For those of you who have used broodies to hatch and raise chicks, at what age does Momma deem them old enough to "let go"? 

When they can't fit under her.. :lau
I think a few months .. That has been my experience .. But if they are going to a new home, whenever.. But they like to hang around Moma longer than she would want..

When they can't fit under her..
lau.gif

I think a few months .. That has been my experience .. But if they are going to a new home, whenever.. But they like to hang around Moma longer than she would want..

Hmm....Do you think she would fight being removed from them around 3-5 weeks? I just hatched another 20+ chicks and I'm hoping to house them all together...but when Momma saw the new flock she immediately called her five over the promptly left the pen. Okay....I get it....25 chicks is a lot more work than just 5.
roll.png

When they can't fit under her.. :lau

Hmm....Do you think she would fight being removed from them around 3-5 weeks? I just hatched another 20+ chicks and I'm hoping to house them all together...but when Momma saw the new flock she immediately called her five over the promptly left the pen. Okay....I get it....25 chicks is a lot more work than just 5. :rolleyes:

She wont take any other chick's. She might even try to peck them to.. well ya know. .
Even when i have had to remove a few for either a injury or sickness, they have a hard time reintegrating with them. That's why i add as many as i can to a broody. . I lost one already. One got stuck to the moma fur. It must of had a piece of poo.. it's like glue. . It was not dead when i released it from her.. but it was so young and it was in the early afternoon when i checked on it.. to time wise it was 16 plus hour's from the day before. .
I have to say this was new to almost all if the hen's we have now. We have Claire that is 3 1/2 year's old and then there is Cheryl the broody, she is 3.. not one of our chicken's ever tried to go after any of the chick's. .

The new one's will need a warmer temperature and won't be able to keep up with the older ones at first. . Each flock will have their own language.. the moma wont let them eat. Our moma chased of the larger hen's. She allows some hen's but not other's. .

Hi guys!! Haven't been on here for a while
1f602.png
! Anyways, I want to hatch out one last batch of chicks before it gets too cold. So, I was wondering if you guys could let me know what the best incubators you guys of had/ heard of. The last one that I had was this crappy one that I got off craigslist that hatched only three out of 21 eggs (and they all were fertile). Thanks!

She wont take any other chick's. She might even try to peck them to.. well ya know. .
Even when i have had to remove a few for either a injury or sickness, they have a hard time reintegrating with them. That's why i add as many as i can to a broody. . I lost one already. One got stuck to the moma fur. It must of had a piece of poo.. it's like glue. . It was not dead when i released it from her.. but it was so young and it was in the early afternoon when i checked on it.. to time wise it was 16 plus hour's from the day before. .
I have to say this was new to almost all if the hen's we have now. We have Claire that is 3 1/2 year's old and then there is Cheryl the broody, she is 3.. not one of our chicken's ever tried to go after any of the chick's. .

The new one's will need a warmer temperature and won't be able to keep up with the older ones at first. . Each flock will have their own language.. the moma wont let them eat. Our moma chased of the larger hen's. She allows some hen's but not other's. .

Thank you so much for this info. It looks like I'll have to make a few more modifications to my existing pens to allow the flocks to grow separately. This certainly has been a learning experience.
smile.png

Hi guys!! Haven't been on here for a while
1f602.png
! Anyways, I want to hatch out one last batch of chicks before it gets too cold. So, I was wondering if you guys could let me know what the best incubators you guys of had/ heard of. The last one that I had was this crappy one that I got off craigslist that hatched only three out of 21 eggs (and they all were fertile). Thanks!

I use an RCom20 and LOVE it. It's pretty much dummy proof, which is exactly what I needed. I literally just finished a hatching today....22 chicks. Only one egg didn't develop all the way to hatch. Here are some baby photos:

Bielefelder cockerel over Buff Silkie.

"Chipmunk" pure Naked Neck

Another Naked Neck Turken

An unusually fluffy NN.

A lovely black NN.

Bielelfelder cockerel over Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom