Arizona Chickens

I just did, and it looks like a double yolker. Will it still delevoping a chick/chicks and live?
A quick search on google says: "maybe"

FAQ's — 4-H Poultry — Penn State Extension

extension.psu.edu/4-h/projects/.../faqs
Pennsylvania State University

When two chicks hatch from the same egg, the egg usually has two yolks. Usually, one embryo out competes the other and only one chick survives to hatch. Many time both embryos die before hatch. We have no knowledge of Siamese twin chicks ever being hatched.

Laura's Birding Blog: Twins and Double Yolks in Bird Eggs

blog.lauraerickson.com/2012/04/normal.html
Apr 26, 2012 - The yolk contains all the nutrition a chick embryo needs to develop tohatching, so that's not an issue for birds inside a double-yolked egg. The problem is that two embryos need twice as much oxygen as one, and their growing bodies cause the egg to lose water faster.

Twin chickens! - YouTube

Nov 11, 2008 - Uploaded by needmorechickens

Hatched 11/11/08 by needmorechickens! Both chicks survived. ...sold to a friend of mine. They were normal and the hen was a greategg layer!

Last edited:
A quick search on google says: "maybe"
[COLOR=660099]FAQ's — 4-H Poultry — Penn State Extension[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]
extension.psu.edu/4-h/projects/.../faqs
Pennsylvania State University

When two chicks [COLOR=6A6A6A]hatch[/COLOR] from the same [COLOR=6A6A6A]egg[/COLOR], the [COLOR=6A6A6A]egg[/COLOR] usually has two [COLOR=6A6A6A]yolks[/COLOR]. Usually, one embryo out competes the other and only one chick survives to [COLOR=6A6A6A]hatch[/COLOR]. Many time both embryos die before [COLOR=6A6A6A]hatch[/COLOR]. We have no knowledge of Siamese twin chicks ever being [COLOR=6A6A6A]hatched[/COLOR].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=660099]Laura's Birding Blog: Twins and Double Yolks in Bird Eggs[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]
blog.lauraerickson.com/2012/04/normal.html
[COLOR=808080]Apr 26, 2012 - The [COLOR=6A6A6A]yolk[/COLOR] contains all the nutrition a chick embryo needs to develop to[COLOR=6A6A6A]hatching[/COLOR], so that's not an issue for birds inside a [COLOR=6A6A6A]double[/COLOR]-[COLOR=6A6A6A]yolked egg[/COLOR]. The problem is that two embryos need twice as much oxygen as one, and their growing bodies cause the [COLOR=6A6A6A]egg[/COLOR] to lose water faster.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=660099]Twin chickens! - YouTube[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]
[COLOR=660099]
10:32
[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=808080]Nov 11, 2008 - Uploaded by needmorechickens[/COLOR] [COLOR=6A6A6A]Hatched[/COLOR] 11/11/08 by needmorechickens! Both chicks survived. ...sold to a friend of mine. They were normal and the hen was a great[COLOR=6A6A6A]egg[/COLOR] layer!
[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
Thanks for the info. I think that I will give it a try. If it doesn't work out, it will be a good learning experience. I will keep y'all updated.

Yes my egg production is increasing slowly since the days are just slightly longer already. But this beautiful young girl just started laying her pale blue eggs and they are not good. I have been trying to breed a special type, fibromelenotic, crested NN. Her mother was a Cream Legbar with a wry back and had curved eggs also. Not only curved but thin shelled. I am sad about this. Because her looks do fit the prototype I wanted.

Yes my egg production is increasing slowly since the days are just slightly longer already. But this beautiful young girl just started laying her pale blue eggs and they are not good. I have been trying to breed a special type, fibromelenotic, crested NN. Her mother was a Cream Legbar with a wry back and had curved eggs also. Not only curved but thin shelled. I am sad about this. Because her looks do fit the prototype I wanted.

Maybe in time her eggs will improve. ???? She's really, really lovely.

I've got a few extra chickens due to my latest hatch. I am offering for sale:

One Buff Orpington pullet (apprx 4 months) $12
1-Ameraucana/Black Copper Marans mix Cockerel (If my feather sexing in Dec was accurate) 1 Month old $6
1-Silkie Mix one month old $10
or all 3 for $25

(Sorry no pic of the Silkie mix- she/he is white with black lines around eye/brown patterned wings)
LOCATION: GLOBE, AZ but willing to meet in Apache Junction for an extra $5 for gas.

The boy is now out with the other chickens, no heat needed.

SEND PM IF INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!
(Selling the chick that is nearest the wall in this pic)

Last edited:

Thank you, I think it is more than reasonable but people seem to expect to pay $20 or less for a laying hen these days even though feed costs more :idunno

DesertMarcy, I was just curious about the price, I really want to come get some of your chicks.  
I enjoy watching them grow up,
I just have to get my setup ready, 
I don't want the big girls picking on the babies... 
and I have to find a way to keep my current girls out of the garden.

Plus my husband would be very unhappy if I knowingly brought a rooster home

Nicolle, you are a great pet owner, it is smart to keep the small ones away.. We had broody's raise the little one with no problems from the older girl's. Maybe wait until you have a broody, put fake egg's under her, then put @desertmarcy chick's under her? You won't be disappointed with her georgeous birds!

As for the garden we use wire mesh, and I keep a spray bottle on hand when they get close.. The wire is bent in a half circle..

Back
Top Bottom