Arizona Chickens

Just curious as to what kind of watering system y'all may use since it's unbelievably hot in AZ all summer. Not to mention monsoon and haboob winds that could really muck things up. It's my first time with chickens and I want to be prepared since they will be moving outside soon. Do you provide any water inside the coop? I just want to make sure they get what they need. They've been raised pretty unconventionally in a guest bedroom so I worry about the shock to their system. I know I am probably overthinking it all but I'd just prefer for them not to die, lol. I've been looking at the 'ol 5 gallon hanging bucket with nipples underneath. But I only have 3 chickens. Is that overkill? Then I start thinking about stale water that's hot because let's face it, nothing stays "cool" outside in Phoenix for the next 4-5 months. Also, any advice or recommendations for controlling or killing flies? Thanks in advance!
The bucket would work too......just put frozen bottles in the water to keep it cool. I have around 25-28 chickens right now and I personally prefer to just use pans of water so they can stand in them. I get the oil pans at Walmart - cheap and they do the trick and it they break in three years its okay. I do have one of the rubber ones. Not my favorite. I still put a frozen bottle on the outside of the pan in the big heat. All seem happy with them especially when they are cooling their feet!

The bucket would work too......just put frozen bottles in the water to keep it cool. I have around 25-28 chickens right now and I personally prefer to just use pans of water so they can stand in them. I get the oil pans at Walmart - cheap and they do the trick and it they break in three years its okay. I do have one of the rubber ones. Not my favorite. I still put a frozen bottle on the outside of the pan in the big heat. All seem happy with them especially when they are cooling their feet!
I took your advice when it was over 95 and put the Walmart oil pans out with water and it worked well. I did end up putting bricks in them though because they'd be empty when I came home from work because I think the gals would knock them over - but the bricks saved the day. The only other thing I'd suggest is to be sure to change the water out every day because the gals really muck it up. For a while there I was wondering if my gals were ducks in disguise. One other thing I did that they liked was to put two coolers with ice water in the run and attach those Brite Tap waterers where the spigot goes. They really use the heck outa those. In fact that's where they get the majority of their drinking water when the mercury climbs.

I started using the oil pans too. They were panting before and now they are only panting in the way to the oil pans.

I'm also building a new run, placing my coop inside. My dogs were still finding ways into the old one. I lost one of my favorites recently.

Hey all! I'm In AZ as well! Out in Phoenix, I don't have a chicken just yet but I'm hoping i will be getting a house chicken soon, so she will be kept indoors. I already decided i love the name Pancake. Pancake the chicken!!

That's a cute name! We are currently naming our baby Australorps. We have Ellie, Priscilla, a rooster, and another pullet we haven't named yet.

I took your advice when it was over 95 and put the Walmart oil pans out with water and it worked well. I did end up putting bricks in them though because they'd be empty when I came home from work because I think the gals would knock them over - but the bricks saved the day. The only other thing I'd suggest is to be sure to change the water out every day because the gals really muck it up. For a while there I was wondering if my gals were ducks in disguise. One other thing I did that they liked was to put two coolers with ice water in the run and attach those Brite Tap waterers where the spigot goes. They really use the heck outa those. In fact that's where they get the majority of their drinking water when the mercury climbs.

Hey, the old cooler is a good idea!! I usually use kitty litter pans from Dollar General. I use those things for everything. A regular waterer in the coop and a litter pan in the shade outside.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share some updated baby photos of the chicks my cochin hatched out. Looks like there is a pure cream legbar rooster, 3 mixed with a bit of cream legbar due to the cute mohawks coming in, and a white one that i am not sure what it is
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom